• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Academies are not Working...

informed1

Gunner4Eva said:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=325644&cc=3436

For once in my life, I agree with Ferguson. As much as I dont like to say it, he has a point.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/lis ... tball_Home

Pretty much the same thing.

What do others here think?

Bloody Hell whats the world coming to...did he just make a case for us...I think he just stick up for us......hold on my eyes must be decieving me.

I agree with him on that stupid 90 minutes rule

JazzG

Established Member
Agree with him, people are quick to take cheap shots at us but all the big clubs know they are being ****ed about here.

patrick42uk

Established Member
lol,. i'm sure there is some sympathy for us there somewhere. i'v always felt that none of the coahces at the top clubs in england could realy crticise us because they are in the same situation. except for jose 'never bought a english player' mourinho of course.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
I totally and completely disagree with him. The 90 minute rule is a good one and there for a damn good reason, which is to stop young children (which is what they are at that stage) spending untold hours every week travellingup and down the country.

Which kids are disadvantaged? Well apart from the wilds of Cornwall and possibly Devon I doubt any kid is more than 90 minutes from a Premier team.

What old red nose is really saying is that the mancs should automatically get all of the best players regardless. There's a very thin veneer of logic covering his conceit. At one point he says "Do you think you're going to get the cream of the country every year?" . That's his agenda.

If the accademy system isn't working, then how come (as Wenger said) we have more English players who's transfer values are at the top of the scale than ever before?

informed1

ExiledInNewcastle said:
I totally and completely disagree with him. The 90 minute rule is a good one and there for a damn good reason, which is to stop young children (which is what they are at that stage) spending untold hours every week travellingup and down the country.

Which kids are disadvantaged? Well apart from the wilds of Cornwall and possibly Devon I doubt any kid is more than 90 minutes from a Premier team.

What old red nose is really saying is that the mancs should automatically get all of the best players regardless. There's a very thin veneer of logic covering his conceit. At one point he says "Do you think you're going to get the cream of the country every year?" . That's his agenda.

If the accademy system isn't working, then how come (as Wenger said) we have more English players who's transfer values are at the top of the scale than ever before?
whilst I get your point, I still disagree with the 90 mins thing because although most children are near premier league clubs that does not mean that they will get the same chance. It depends on the scouts and whether or not they can spot the potential of any kid and also whether the club is as active in their pursuit for talent as larger clubs. As wenger said we spend 3-4 mil per year on academies, does palace and west brom do the same?

At the very least that amount of time needs to be extended, I mean really 90 minutes, its not as large an area as you might think.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
90 minutes from Highbury covers at least 6 million people.

It's a massive area. Our area reaches almost to Birmingham. And 90 minutes, each way, a couple of times a week is more than enough travelling. Let's actually look after the kids, because what we're talking about here is kids 14 and under.

As far as scouts spotting people and so on, it's always been like that and it always will be.

If you think about where the prem clus are and draw an 80 mile circle around them, then the vast majority of kids will are going to covered by a couple of different clubs. Let's let the kids be kids while they still can, then when they get to 15/16 they can be moved into club premises.

informed1

ExiledInNewcastle said:
If you think about where the prem clus are and draw an 80 mile circle around them, then the vast majority of kids will are going to covered by a couple of different clubs. Let's let the kids be kids while they still can, then when they get to 15/16 they can be moved into club premises.

this is the core of it all, yes I am all for kids being kids and enjoying the game.....but lets look at the wider picture. I live in London and whilst some areas have some pitches for kids to play its not always up to standard and not as organised. The game is advancing at such a rate that 17 year olds are playing in prem games ala cesc, rooney and ronaldo. They are doing this because they are accustom to the condition required to develop their skills. If the FA and everyone eles expect to have rooneys in all the prem clubs then they need to have the facilities available to these kids. If they intend to restrict the clubs from getting these young kids then they should do more to encourage them into the game and to actually stick at it.

Football is quite popular, yes, but come on now we are in london, I play squash, tennis, cricket, basketball all sorts of sport. Just because you have 6 million people doesnt necessarily mean that you will have the same talent or quality available.

I want arsenal to have more local boys as much as the next person but I dont want us to just develop these boys only to facilitate another prem team because they are not of the arsenal standard, thats what this rule does, look at the youth that we have and ask yourself how many of them are likely to join the first team?

Chicago

This reminds me of sports back when I was in school, about 45 minutes away from where I used to live there was this high school. The area was so rich it was unbelievable. The district lines are drawn so that kids living on one side of the street have to go to one school and kids on the other side of the street would go to another, this could of course be waived off and this school got a lot of kids to attend(and play for them) even though they didnt' live in the area. Their hockey goalie wasn't even close, he was like 30 minutes away but for some reason or another he lived with a family in the district for 4 years so he could play. What's to keep teams from relocating families and defining it as 90 minutes is problematic as it is a bit subjective(I'd imagine there's a distance but everyone's referring to it as 90 minutes away).

Kids would be going to live with their aunts and cousins just so they could play at a better academy. Is that what is really wanted? If kids had to choose it would force the academies to really try and be the best out there(a little competition is never a bad thing). Of course this could lead to smaller academies being completely ignored as the better ones continue to draw most/all of the talent. Exiled does make a good point too, these kids shouldn't have to be travelling so much.

Asterix

Established Member
Have a read of January's 442 magazine - it has a good article on the Academy system too. It sure does burn a lot of kids out. I'm with Exiled - let kids be kids for goodness sake.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not scared to spend money. If you go out with me one night, you will understand that.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom