• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Adebayor: Money is killing football.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
McIntyre said:
For me that's the crux of the matter.

He's going on about how he didn't stay at Arsenal for the money. So why did he sign a new contract, only 12 months into his old one, which more than doubled his wages?

Why didn't he come back from the summer break, say 'This transfer talk is bullsh*t. Someone's been talking on my behalf. I love Arsenal and I'm going to stay true to my contract'?

But he didn't. He came back, said how much he loved the club and signed a massive new contract that just happened to have been drafted up in response to all the transfer talk. How convenient.

I don't believe a word he says anymore. And, despite what he says in that article, I think it's only a matter of time before he's angling for more money from us or moving abroad for the big bucks.
Seconded.

I for one totally don't trust him at all. I hope he dosen't turn into a ****

True Gooner

Established Member
Since when has football been based on trust? Certainly not in the last decade or so.

Score goals, win us games and if you do **** off, try to leave on good terms.

arsmile

Established Member
Clrnc said:
McIntyre said:
For me that's the crux of the matter.

He's going on about how he didn't stay at Arsenal for the money. So why did he sign a new contract, only 12 months into his old one, which more than doubled his wages?

Why didn't he come back from the summer break, say 'This transfer talk is bullsh*t. Someone's been talking on my behalf. I love Arsenal and I'm going to stay true to my contract'?

But he didn't. He came back, said how much he loved the club and signed a massive new contract that just happened to have been drafted up in response to all the transfer talk. How convenient.

I don't believe a word he says anymore. And, despite what he says in that article, I think it's only a matter of time before he's angling for more money from us or moving abroad for the big bucks.
Seconded.

I for one totally don't trust him at all. I hope he dosen't turn into a c**t

what do you expect him to do

agent: ade, we could easily squeeze 60k a week out of arsenal given all the transfer spectulation, or if you want, i could get you 90k at milan or barca

ade: yeah i know but i'm going to stay on 30K a week out of principle- cos i love the club

McIntyre

Established Member
True Gooner said:
Since when has football been based on trust? Certainly not in the last decade or so.

Score goals, win us games and if you do f**k off, try to leave on good terms.

I agree.

But over the last twenty-odd years we've had some real stalwarts at this club who really DID love the club. There was no fuss surrounding their contracts, their attitude etc.

So when I hear this sort of hypocritical rubbish being spoken by Ade only months after all the furore surrounding his future it just really p*sses me off. As long as he's playing for us I'll be cheering him, but I fear it's only a matter of time before he tries to bend the club over a barrel again.

Rohit

Established Member
Is it me or have our players really been talking too much to the press recently on subjects other their own performance?

Nowadays when i go to the skysports website or any other website that has Arsenal related news and stories, i don't bother reading most player interviews.

He is right, money has ruined football and not just football as a business but it has abrogated the concept of player dignity, integrity, conscience etc.

I only care about how our players do on the pitch for us. Cesc, Adebayor, Gallas and the rest need to stop talking, concentrate, introspect and they might just realize they need to step up big time.

SimplyFabregas

Established Member
Just look at the contrast in how Fabregas dealt with transfer speculation and getting a pay rise over the summer, and look at how Adebayor dealt with it.

McIntyre

Established Member
arsmile said:

agent: ade, we could easily squeeze 60k a week out of arsenal given all the transfer spectulation, or if you want, i could get you 90k at milan or barca

ade: yeah i know but i'm going to stay on 30K a week out of principle- cause i love the club

I'm not naive enough to think he would do that. But I'm also not naive enough to believe he didn't have some part in angling for that pay rise.

TomasCR

Established Member
That´s true SimplyF, looks like Ade didn´t get the most intetigent brain. Let´s stop talking, let him playing.

arsmile

Established Member
McIntyre said:
arsmile said:

ade: yeah i know but i'm going to stay on 30K a week out of principle- cause i love the club

I'm not naive enough to think he would do that. But I'm also not naive enough to believe he didn't have some part in angling for that pay rise.

yeah he thought...bloody hell yeah, i wouldnt mind earning twice what i am now- make it so agent.

agent: ok, just makes sure you dont explicitly commit your future to the club- then we'll lose our bargenning angle...

the fact is that is what an agent's job is- i think most players end up renegotiating their contracts after a breakthrough season...you have to pay the market rate at the end of the day...also they would recognise that if it all goes tits up with ade's performances he may never be in a position to get such a pay rise again- after a 30goal seaosn AND masses of transfer speculation.

ade's comments of late prove that the poor guy isnt smart enough to have been complicit in any of this nonsense this summer(let alone be the architect of it- unless it's a double bluff!)

McIntyre

Established Member
arsmile said:
yeah he thought...bloody hell yeah, i wouldnt mind earning twice what i am now- make it so agent.

agent: ok, just makes sure you dont explicitly commit your future to the club- then we'll lose our bargenning angle...

the fact is that is what an agent's job is- i think most players end up renegotiating their contracts after a breakthrough season...you have to pay the market rate at the end of the day...also they would recognise that if it all goes tits up with ade's performances he may never be in a position to get such a pay rise again- after a 30goal seaosn AND masses of transfer speculation.

ade's comments of late prove that the poor guy isnt smart enough to have been complicit in any of this nonsense this summer(let alone be the architect of it- unless it's a double bluff!)

But that's my problem. Prattling on about how much he loves the club and isn't here for money totally contradicts the fact that he's signed a contract worth double the money after major speculation that he'd leave otherwise.

And it reeks of an attempt to cover up for (or relieve the guilt from) the fact he was complicit in the whole business, or at least allowed it to happen.

I just can't stand what, to me, seems like complete and utter hypocrisy. I wish he'd just keep his mouth shut and PROVE how much he loves the club by scoring goals and not looking for another pay rise again for a long long time.

hackajack

Established Member
SimplyFabregas said:
Just look at the contrast in how Fabregas dealt with transfer speculation and getting a pay rise over the summer, and look at how Adebayor dealt with it.
Yeah but Fabman is media savvy and he's getting £80K already.

SimplyFabregas

Established Member
hackajack said:
SimplyFabregas said:
Yeah but Fabman is media savvy and he's getting £80K already.

1. He isnt getting 80k a year, Gallas is reported to be the highest earner on 80k, with Ade not far behind, the highest i've seen Fabregas is 60k.

2. He wasnt always making 60k a year, and when he negotiated his significantly improved new contract, you didnt see Fabregas using the media and transfer speculation to get that deal.

3. Fabregas has performed for more than one season in a Arsenal shirt, unlike Adebayor.

4. Fabregas deserves to be the highest paid member of this squad, because he is by far the most important player in the team.

5. The fact that Gallas is the highest paid member of this squad, sickens me!

Zico

Established Member
I agree with Arsmile on this one. Ade did the logical thing. I had a similar negotiation with my company. I wanted to stay, but they were clearly underpaying me given the vastly superior offers I was getting elsewhere. I got to stay and earned a salary closer to what the market valued me at. Where Ade messed up was with his lack of foresight when dealing with the media. From experience, I know that you tell the media the bare minimum. The more you give them, the more room they have for hyperbole and outlandish theory.

I think that the English league should unilaterally seek to contain costs. Other than the bizarre phenomenon of the two Spanish clubs that do not have balance sheets, nobody else can compete with the economics of top English clubs. I believe that the English league can impose salary caps based on what they see now. Perhaps they can set an absolute cap on wages (for 5 years) based on Chelsea's current total wage bill; or find the average wage bill amongst the teams and charge teams that exceed this amount a Pound for Pound luxury tax after a few years. Whatever the resolution, English football must move quickly to return the focus to football.

hackajack

Established Member
SimplyFabregas said:
He isnt getting 80k a year, Gallas is reported to be the highest earner on 80K, with Ade not far behind, the highest i've seen Fabregas is 60k.
I reckon he is that's why Wenger didn't want to pay Flamini or Hleb £70/75K because it wouldn't stack up with Cesc and others. Get your sick bucket ready because I reckon Gallas is on more like £90/100K given he came from Chelsea who are paying about 50% more than us (and we farked Ashley off by chiseling him for £5K).

hackajack

Established Member
quincy42 said:
I agree with Arsmile on this one. Ade did the logical thing. I had a similar negotiation with my company. I wanted to stay, but they were clearly underpaying me given the vastly superior offers I was getting elsewhere. I got to stay and earned a salary closer to what the market valued me at.
Yeah everyone does it if they're not getting the market rate - and then you do fark off if they won't pay you. People don't seem to realise it's a job for these guys and they act like you would act in your job if you could double your money by walking.

dos1986

Established Member
Football is killing Football, too much of it on tv now.

Im sick of the sight of it at the moment, its just boring.I watch ous and thats about it.

Anzac

Established Member
tactica442 said:
bojed said:
This is yet another offside, dear Ade.
haha, good one. :D

Agreed.
Also agreed that the players need to stop talking to the media - their actions speak louder than their words. As for Ade's summer - there's always the earlier comments about playing for free :roll: My bet is he's gone next season.

Biggus

Established Member
I really don't understand why people hate Ade so much. I mean WTF has he done wrong? he's a professional football FFS! he wanted the best deal for himself what's wrong with that? Now he wants to be respected by the Arsenal supporters. Some of you live in some sort of a Wengeresque dream world whereby we can get the best players in the league to play for us for peanuts.

Why take Wenger's side? he's a mean old stingy bean counter who's more suited to the pay office than to the bench.

Arsenal Quotes

We don't sign superstars, we make them.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom