• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ajax v Arsenal

Ally

Ajax 0 Arsenal 0

This draw was a set-up. Pure and simple. Someone at UEFA HQ on the wind-up warmed up the relevant balls and rigged it. I’ve now had three games out of four where there has been absolutely nothing to write about. When I say nothing, there’s no journalistic license for exaggeration in use here. Yesterday was shocking.

Someone said that if you try to bet Arsenal, you’ll get thrashed. The space you leave going forward is used clinically and simply to get the ball from one area to another and usually into the net. End of story. However, Arsenal didn’t look like beating anyone last night. We’ve had one decent chance in three hours of football against the Dutch champs, who’ve maybe found a style of football to combat the speed of our frontmen. Stifle the game from the first minute. They’d never get away with this in the Premiership.

Still, it’s got to be said that negativity or not, we had no chances. None. Wiltord had a shot tipped round by Labont, and the same player hit the side-netting. Right on half time, Henry managed to execute a sublime drag back and turn to find some space, but no-one was running in and his cut-back was poor anyway. In the second half, there was an Henry free-kick that was going over, but Labont (A keeper who looked dodgy but wasn’t tested in any way during the course of the two games) got a touch anyway. No corner was given.

Ajax’s creativity was sorely lacking too; Seaman had no save to make. The one real shot on target from the supposedly deadly Ajax attack came from a defender, Chivu, off a set-piece which was curled brilliantly towards the top corner, where Ashley Cole had positioned himself expertly on the post to rise and head away. The defences were well on top anyhow - Lauren had a stormer, and his partner on the opposite wing was majestic. He was also promptly ruled out for seven weeks with the recurrence of a niggly injury which finally forced him onto the operating table.

Our defence did a fine job shutting down Zlatan and Van Der Meyde, although it’s got to be said that Cygan looked far slicker than Martin Keown in the course of the two games. The Frenchman seems to be totally at home in European competition and personally, I’d have him down as a starter. His Premiership technique definitely needs work though.

The opposite’s true of Robert Pires though. Dazzling in the league, but he’s now gone a year without a European goal. Yesterday there was no room for a second touch and while the two Arsenal wingers both possess perfect ball control and co-ordination, their crosses and distribution tended to be disappointing, even on the big Arena playing surface.

I’m stifling a yawn as I type this. Believe me, it’s every bit as monotonous to write a report on a rubbish game as it is to read it. Less is more? Not always, gooners. Definitely not always. I’ll stop now. And on the basis of these two games, we’ll not win the European Cup this year. Come on Arsenal. Frankly, we expect better.

Man of the Match

Patrick Vieira. Majestic tackling and extraordinary presence on the field. Opposition midfielders now seem to have the measure of Roy Keane, as Bolton showed last Saturday. Patrick is maybe the only Premiership ball winner who’s reputation still precedes him. A legend and he will be considered the greatest all-round Arsenal player of all time, eventually.

Moment of the Match

Ashley Cole’s goal-line heroics. Remember what you’re missing...

Moan of the Match

[yawn]

Ally Winford

Natnat

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Very boring game nothing happened.
Ajax were happy with the scoreline.
Good writing Ally

Arsenal Quotes

When you start supporting a football club, you don’t support it because of the trophies, or a player, or history, you support it because you found yourself somewhere there; found a place where you belong.

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom