• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I trust your academy knowledge so I ask who will help them make that change/improvement? We can't have them get to 25 and still not know their best position or how to use their greatest assets.
Playing to their strengths is one piece of the puzzle, stripping it down to the basics and applying appropriately. Emery's advantage is his propensity for detail and structure. He initially gave Iwobi a simpler, more structured gameplan - focusing on his dribbling. At this point, the best thing would be to drill his cutbacks and through balls. It's a mental issue with Iwobi because he has the tech to play the right passes.

With AMN, I don't know. He continually loses concentration and for all his ability, he'd need to be drilled mercilessly. It's just discipline for me.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Playing to their strengths is one piece of the puzzle, stripping it down to the basics and applying appropriately. Emery's advantage is his propensity for detail and structure. He initially gave Iwobi a simpler, more structured gameplan - focusing on his dribbling. At this point, the best thing would be to drill his cutbacks and through balls. It's a mental issue with Iwobi because he has the tech to play the right passes.

With AMN, I don't know. He continually loses concentration and for all his ability, he'd need to be drilled mercilessly. It's just discipline for me.
It sounds like a lot of work for the coaches. Also, how long do you give a player to work on one aspect before moving on to the next? Iwobi doesn't have time on his side imo. AMN-baffles me.

9jagooner

I think it's more of the way Arsenal plays/Emery wants to play. Our game play goes to the left and depends on cut backs and crosses from Kolas or Alex. Even our goal on Friday was through same play though Ramsey was the giver in this case.
In the Nigerian National team, Iwobi hardly gets to the by line whether he plays on left or right. He delivers the final ball from just behind the front men and he does thus very well.

I agree though that it seems its more of a mental thing than ability. He's capable of beating players but needs to believe in himself more. The fans also need to stop booing and sighing whenever he loses the ball. If you want a player to dribble players then you must also expect him to lose it once in a while

Gunner140

I think that Iwobi has slowly come back into form, as he was unrecognizable some time ago. Hopefully, his form will get even better in the upcoming matches.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
It sounds like a lot of work for the coaches. Also, how long do you give a player to work on one aspect before moving on to the next? Iwobi doesn't have time on his side imo. AMN-baffles me.
That just depends on how the player is responding in training and on the pitch in real games. Iwobi might not have time per se, but he has something that the other youngsters, even AMN doesn't necessarily have - Emery's trust. He'll get a lot more time to get into gear in the first team because Emery will keep playing him. So while he doesn't have time age-wise, he's getting a lot of time on the pitch to rectify his issues. It's not really coming to pass because his issues aren't tangible IMO, it's mental. Same with AMN, and he IMO doesn't get enough time (in his position) and he's getting close to match ready maturity at 21. Still young enough for time, but still needs work. He'll have a nice free run at RB so let's hope he can make something of it.

On Iwobi specifically, he'll have to watch out IMO for the youngsters behind him because they don't seem to have his lack of conviction in the final 3rd. Reiss might come back and jack his spot solely on the strength of that - and that's despite his performances needing a bit more work aswell.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
I think Nelson will end up disappointing us, likely due to not being given the opportunities. All's gone quiet surrounding him in Germany.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
He's still injured? Well that's an Arsenal player if there ever was one.

In all seriousness, fair enough. But I've yet to see him impose himself properly on any match. Has great end product, so he immediately wins over Iwobi there.

I guess I'm just trying not to get my hopes up regarding our best prospects - it's rarely ever worked out for us.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He's still injured? Well that's an Arsenal player if there ever was one.

In all seriousness, fair enough. But I've yet to see him impose himself properly on any match. Has great end product, so he immediately wins over Iwobi there.

I guess I'm just trying not to get my hopes up regarding our best prospects - it's rarely ever worked out for us.
Don't worry about it, I have more hopes than any of us and that won't stop :lol:. Ultimately I want to see Hale End become our own La Masia or Ajax but that's just me.

I agree though, he still needs to sustain his influence on matches but Serge Gnabry (someone who was of a similar talent and reputation at the same age) had the same problem and now he's a mainstay at Bayern of all teams. That's something that will come with more experience and game time. He's somewhat getting that at Hoffenheim, he's played in most games despite being a sub for the majority of them. It took Sancho about 6-7 months of time before he became gangster number 1 at RW and Sancho is very much seen as the bigger talent of the two (I think they aren't far apart personally but Sancho is arguably better).

His injury is minor so he'll be back soon. Whatever happens at Hoffenheim, he'll be much better for it when he returns to Arsenal - providing Emery does commit to playing the youngsters.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Don't worry about it, I have more hopes than any of us and that won't stop :lol:. Ultimately I want to see Hale End become our own La Masia or Ajax but that's just me.

I agree though, he still needs to sustain his influence on matches but Serge Gnabry (someone who was of a similar talent and reputation at the same age) had the same problem and now he's a mainstay at Bayern of all teams. That's something that will come with more experience and game time. He's somewhat getting that at Hoffenheim, he's played in most games despite being a sub for the majority of them. It took Sancho about 6-7 months of time before he became gangster number 1 at RW and Sancho is very much seen as the bigger talent of the two (I think they aren't far apart personally but Sancho is arguably better).

His injury is minor so he'll be back soon. Whatever happens at Hoffenheim, he'll be much better for it when he returns to Arsenal - providing Emery does commit to playing the youngsters.
Nothing would be more satisfying than Arsenal being able to produce players the way Barcelona and Ajax do!

Hopefully he becomes our Sancho. And even more hopefully, Emery (if he's still here) will give him, ESR and at least one of Saka and Amaechi a proper chance from pre-season onwards.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Nothing would be more satisfying than Arsenal being able to produce players the way Barcelona and Ajax do!

Hopefully he becomes our Sancho. And even more hopefully, Emery (if he's still here) will give him, ESR and at least one of Saka and Amaechi a proper chance from pre-season onwards.
How they'll be used will be of interest - Emery will use all of them as wide players, which I'm not sure is a great thing in the case of ESR - he's good wide, but he'd be even better as a #10 or #8 in Emery's system - but Emery will want bricks at the base of midfield. There's an argument for using Nelson as a #10 aswell - he's not a playmaker but he's still creative and a goal threat. Saka and Amaechi are the true wide players - that's where they thrive, cutting in and out to take players out of the game.

With the way Emery uses Iwobi in particular, Saka and Amaechi would be great alternatives due to their movement, speed and final 3rd threat as well as being great dribblers. The issue lies with their lack of experience and young age. Amaechi just turned 18 and Saka is still 17. It's a gamble, a huge one, at the top end to play them in the league. However, I'd be in favor of blooding them intermittently this season to get them somewhat acclimatized and to show they can provide elements that would cost us upwards of £40m+ to recruit from outside (pace, dribbling and end product), along with Nelson potentially coming back with a productive season under his belt.

In the mean time, Iwobi will still have the keys to the car and has to provide more end product.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
How they'll be used will be of interest - Emery will use all of them as wide players, which I'm not sure is a great thing in the case of ESR - he's good wide, but he'd be even better as a #10 or #8 in Emery's system - but Emery will want bricks at the base of midfield. There's an argument for using Nelson as a #10 aswell - he's not a playmaker but he's still creative and a goal threat. Saka and Amaechi are the true wide players - that's where they thrive, cutting in and out to take players out of the game.

With the way Emery uses Iwobi in particular, Saka and Amaechi would be great alternatives due to their movement, speed and final 3rd threat as well as being great dribblers. The issue lies with their lack of experience and young age. Amaechi just turned 18 and Saka is still 17. It's a gamble, a huge one, at the top end to play them in the league. However, I'd be in favor of blooding them intermittently this season to get them somewhat acclimatized and to show they can provide elements that would cost us upwards of £40m+ to recruit from outside (pace, dribbling and end product), along with Nelson potentially coming back with a productive season under his belt.

In the mean time, Iwobi will still have the keys to the car and has to provide more end product.
What do you reckon ESR would offer in an Emery #8 or #10? I'm asking as I still don't understand what Emery wants from these roles :lol:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
What do you reckon ESR would offer in an Emery #8 or #10? I'm asking as I still don't understand what Emery wants from these roles :lol:
Well not sure Emery would use him as an #8 as he's probably not defensive enough, but as a #10 he offers more intensity, clever passes and a goal threat. He's no Özil but he has the ability of a modern #10 in todays game. Emery wants them to run harder and press. Smith-Rowe does that.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Well not sure Emery would use him as an #8 as he's probably not defensive enough, but as a #10 he offers more intensity, clever passes and a goal threat. He's no Özil but he has the ability of a modern #10 in todays game. Emery wants them to run harder and press. Smith-Rowe does that.
ESR has a style like KDB. That along with an eye for goal is a good place to start.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
ESR has superb awareness of people coming in to challenge him. Manoeuvres the ball so well away from the tackle to retain possession. Great instincts that will hopefully take him far.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Impossible, way too much competition in London and surrounding areas.
Main competition is from Chelsea and arguably Tottenham, but London's a massive place so there's a lot of talent to go around - after that, then it's up to coaching and philosophy. With Marcel Lucassen involved aswell as some of the smart hires we've had at Hale End (Lee Herron and Dan Micciche in particular), the younger players development should be more focused and structured now. We still have an opportunity to build something lasting.

ESR has a style like KDB. That along with an eye for goal is a good place to start.
He's a bit more dribbly I'd say. Hard to compare ESR to anyone. They have a similar gait and look, but while it's impossible to say whether ESR will be as good as De Bruyne, he has the capacity for a slightly more rounded game. I think physically he has a lot of potential, always did.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Such a talented player, but doesn't know when to stick or twist. As someone mentioned earlier, he should just be given simple instructions in terms of what to do, because his decision making is generally poor.

I don't see Iwobi becoming a first team player, but he's an excellent squad player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

As far as i'm concerned, Tony Adams is the effing Empire State Building

Ian Wright

Latest posts

Top Bottom