• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aliadiere

Gunnsie

With the almost :?: certain signing of Robin Van Persie, what future does Aliadiere have at Arsenal? A lot of this post is speculation, but this is what I'm counting on happening next season.

Bergkamp will stay on 1 more year, this has been pretty much stated by both Wenger and by Bergkamp, however, Wenger has warned that his role will not be as prolific as it was this season.

This leaves us with the partnership of Henry and Reyes, which we all hope will develop nicely. The press are speculating that Wiltord will go, along with Kanu, and Wenger has stated that he hopes to send Bentley out on loan. This leaves Reyes, Henry, Bergkamp, Aliadiere. You don't need to say antything about Reyes and Henry, but Bergkamp is an aging legend. Where does Aliadiere's future lie? Surely 2 backup strikers (Bergkamp + Aliadiere) is enough. The potential signing of Van Persie would be a big blow to Ali's chances of appearances next season, unless of course there is no truth in Van Persie coming, or Wenger uses Van Persie as a Solsjkaer type utility attacker. However, even if Van Persie isn't the one coming, Wenger has made noises about signing at least 1 more striker.

Sorry for the rambling on :p

Mark

Established Member
I think Aliadiere may be ahead of Bergy in the pecking order next season, with more games perhaps we could see the best of him. There is work to be done though. IF Van Persie comes we don't know if he'll be used as a striker or a winger.

Sol man

We need 4 strikers and with the imminent depature of Kanu and Wiltord and the arrival of RVP we will have 5 strikers. Bergy will have to have less of an impact. Ali has never really got a run of games so it would be unfair to judge him.

Gunnsie

I have thought about Aliadiere being ahead of Bergkamp in the pecking order for next season, but I seriously doubt it. Bergkamp has been good this season, its not like hes suddenly going to switch off next season. Which makes me wonder more about Ali's future...

beaney

i reckon RVP, if he comes, will be used as a winger.

Offload kanu and wiltord. (not to even mention jeffers) -notice how noone has even spoken of him, weve forgotten about him already!

that leaves 4 strikers. 2 main ones, as normal, with bergy and ali in the wings. thats fine isnt it?

reyes and RVP can play on the wing so that gives us a few more options too.

lewdikris

Established Member
Unfortunately for Jeremie he still needs a whole season without physical problems before he can claim a regular first 16 role. The injuries have left him looking less physically ready for Premiership football than Reyes and Clichy who are both younger than him. Hence: give Dennis another year, and then next season, all being well, he can be backup to the Henry-Reyes-Van Persie show we're gonna get. It's unfortunate for him, and were it not for the injury against Boro he probly wouldn't be in this position, but that's the story of his career so far really: looks and plays well for the reserves, gets in the first team, starts to settle in .... out for ages injured, back to the reserves n start all over again.

Mark

Established Member
Yeah he has these injury problems because he isn't physically strong enough. He and Bentley need to bulk up a bit, that's the main thing they lack. They have the talent to play for our team but they need to improve physically or they won't get anywhere, which would be a real shame too.

Gunner4life09

yeah we don't know wheather RVP is going to be a winger or a striker, i think RVP probably will become pires or freddie's long term sucessor. he could be a cover now but he can learn from pires so when pires hangs up his boots RVP will be more than capable. as for aliadere, he could go on lone to a Premiership club? somewhere like Norwich, it will help him like it help Pennant. becaue he'll be at a relegation fighting club he'll learn to be more physical so when Bergkamp retires next next season aliadere will be ever ready.

Mark

Established Member
I forgot about Ryan Smith. He's very promising indeed. I think he has a chance of being Pires's replacement on LM, so Van Persie will probably be a striker. Smith has a real bad injury at the moment though. It seems to happen to all our best youngsters.

KingReyes

Established Member
i think RVP probably will become pires or freddie's long term sucessor.

Thats wot I think too. RVP will come in as main cover for Bobby and fringe cover for other places. He will then be groomed to take the LM position permanently.

I think Ali has a future, it will depend on his fitness level. With Henry, Reyes, Bergy, Ali and maybe a new striker he's still got a chance

godfather

Mark said:
I forgot about Ryan Smith. He's very promising indeed. I think he has a chance of being Pires's replacement on LM, so Van Persie will probably be a striker. Smith has a real bad injury at the moment though. It seems to happen to all our best youngsters.

he is out for 6 or 8 monthes

JGooner

I think it may be time to question whether Aliadiere will make it as a first choice striker for Arsenal. The standard required to be a starting striker for Arsenal is unfathomably high. You have to be nothing short of world class, technically and physically. I don't think we have seen enough of Aliadiere to say whether or not he has world class ability, but, even if he has, how long is it going to be before he gains the physical power? He is 22 this year, which isn't that young, and still looks so frail. The injuries, as lewdikris says, aren't a good sign either.

He is too good to be a perenial reserve but possibly not good enough to be an Arsenal starter. That isn't an insult - how many strikers in the world are good enough to get into the Arsenal attack that will take shape over the coming years? He will be good enough - technically, at least - to be a substitute, but we shouldn't hold him back if he gets the offer of first team football elsewhere. Nothing has to be decided now, but both he and the club will probably have to make a judgement about his future within the next two seasons.

Similar concerns exist with regard to Bentley, but I am slightly more optimistic for him because (a) Wenger obviously rates him big time and talks about him more than most of other youngsters, (b) he is a year younger than Aliadiere, so has a bit more time on his side, and (c) he can play in midfield which is slightly less competitive than up front, where he has Henry, Reyes, Bergkamp, possibly RvP and others to compete with.

patrick42uk

Established Member
JGooner said:
Similar concerns exist with regard to Bentley, but I am slightly more optimistic for him because (a) Wenger obviously rates him big time and talks about him more than most of other youngsters, (b) he is a year younger than Aliadiere, so has a bit more time on his side, and (c) he can play in midfield which is slightly less competitive than up front, where he has Henry, Reyes, Bergkamp, possibly RvP and others to compete with.

bentley is talked up most because he is english. wenger has more faith in aliadere whom he has been willing to throw in the deep end starting him at anfield and in the f.a.cup semis. would wenger show similar faith in bentley? he hasnt even had the guts to play in at the back end of a premiership game. bentley you say has a better chance in midfield, but he is not a midfielder as his below average performances in that position have shown. the excuse was he is better up front. the age gap is bentley's biggest advantage. but then bentley is 19, if he is ever to make it beyond just being a squad player he should have been active in the team by now. At 19, aliadere had a premiership goal with his progress hindered by injury. i think of the two aliadiere has the better chance of forging a career at arsenal (injury-free). but like you say the competition up front at this club is immense. aliadiere might just fall short. bentley more so

thegame24

Established Member
Personally, i feel letting kanu and wiltord go, leaving bentley and ali as replacements is a mistake.

They are not good enough yet, maybe one day, but not good enough to help us go for trebles.

A.Hussain

all this english crap is bull. bentley has been scoring regularly in the reserves. his 2 goals against a strong west ham team highlight his ability. im sure wenger has begun questioning his own judgement about keeping bentley here this season. but hopefully the boy will get a good run of games elsewhere. he is talented regardless of him being english or not. some talents are late bloomers

elsewhere as in a loan elsewhere :wink:

Stim

I believe with a run of games Aliadiere can become an extremely useful striker, but this chance will only really happen, if god forbig, Henry got injured. He is the most like Henry striker we have. I think he's ready to start taking the chances he's giving. A couple of goals and he'll be flying. RvP will probably only be used on the wing i would think.

goonerlove

I think the real reason we need another striker/scorer is that we have nobody who is even remotely close to Henry in terms of scoring reliably at striker. If Henry goes down with injury for 2 months next year, we are in big trouble.

Reyes isn't ready to take on main scoring role.
Aliadiere has not proven he can handle the physical prem. and be a solid scorer.
Bergkamp is a foil for the main scorer and is 34.
If we get RVP, same thing as Reyes and he is not quite Reyes level quality either.
Ljungberg - maybe... but he is really a winger and I doubt could stand the long-term rigors of being a striker next year.

Its a calculated risk, but a risk nonetheless. We could survive a game here or a game there without Henry but a prolonged period I believe could undo us... getting a more seasoned, solid natural striker would be good insurance for us in our run to repeat as champs next year.

Goonerlove

jc8gooner

If Henry goes down with injury for 2 months next year, we are in big trouble.

I feel we would cope. I think Reyes will be a greater scoring threat next season. Pires scores more than most Premiership strikers. Bergkamp will contribute. Vieira, Edu and Gilberto, while not attacking midfielders, would get a few. Ljungberg might need to get afew more than usual. Our whole game does not revolve around Henry. Great teams can adapt. Remember when we beat Boro 4-1 in the FA Cup this year? Henry wasn't playing.

Mark

Established Member
I think Ljungberg and Pires could both fill in upfront if necessary. After watching more of his goals, I'd say Van Persie looks more like an out and out striker than a winger. Reyes will find the goalscoring touch sooner or later as well.

Arsenal Quotes

When you grow up with a club and you end up playing for them and winning things, you are from that club. I was born here. I was formulated here.

Liam Brady

Latest posts

Top Bottom