• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Almunia for England?

RC8

Established Member
I don't know, if he just wants to play in England for the sake of playing international football then he doesn't deserve it.

49erz

even if he was good enough i wouldn't want him playing for england when he isn't even english is any of his relative even english

Why do you need to have English relatives to be English? If Manuel has lived in England for the requisite number of years, then he's legally as English as I am. Is it really any more odd than Chris Birchall playing for Trinidad and Tobago?

Arsenal players like Almunia, Cygan and, I don't know, Luzhny, are frequently derided by Arsenal fans, but I think that this might be unfair. Because they are among the least shiny in a magnificently bejewelled squad of players, they stick out a little bit, but they're still better than the majority of players in their positions in the Premiership.

Almunia would give Robinson a run for his money if he'd gone to **** instead of coming to us. Almunia for England: bring it on, I say.

Don Pacifico

Established Member
What about if Thierry suggested he wanted to play for England? Obviously not going to happen, not even possible, but say hypothetically he wanted to play would you still turn him down? On my part it would be a tough decision, but if I honestly believed that he felt English then i would have no qualms, otherwise the player has to want to play for England, rather than see it as a way to play international footie.

Mulberry21

oneteaminlondon said:
Why do you need to have English relatives to be English? If Manuel has lived in England for the requisite number of years, then he's legally as English as I am. Is it really any more odd than Chris Birchall playing for Trinidad and Tobago?

Arsenal players like Almunia, Cygan and, I don't know, Luzhny, are frequently derided by Arsenal fans, but I think that this might be unfair. Because they are among the least shiny in a magnificently bejewelled squad of players, they stick out a little bit, but they're still better than the majority of players in their positions in the Premiership.

Almunia would give Robinson a run for his money if he'd gone to **** instead of coming to us. Almunia for England: bring it on, I say.

Don Pacifico said:
What about if Thierry suggested he wanted to play for England? Obviously not going to happen, not even possible, but say hypothetically he wanted to play would you still turn him down? On my part it would be a tough decision, but if I honestly believed that he felt English then i would have no qualms, otherwise the player has to want to play for England, rather than see it as a way to play international footie.
Guys, I see your point, but Almunia didn't say "I feel English, I want to play for England", he said "I want to play international football and if Spain doesn't select me in the next two years (ha) then I'll go ahead and become an English citizen just so I can play for the English NT (if they select him. Ha)". Not quite the same thing.

Also, I think Almunia has abilities, but he's just too old to significantly improve. Let's face it: the dodginess is the rule and good performances are the exception. The worst thing? He makes me (and, I guess, most people) feel uneasy when I see him between the posts. There's just no sense of security when he plays. Not that Robinson is much better though...

As I said before, a very random thing to say. Maybe he's looking into becoming Spain's new number 3? That doesn't seem too likely (when you can't even be number 1 in your own team how do you expect to be chosen for your NT? Or, well, another NT? :lol: With almost no games at all? Doesn't make sense.).

edit: I dunno, do you think I'm biased? I did wish Almunia would screw up so that Jens could return way back when. But Jens is Mad Jens! That's not bias, that's fact!

Wenger must see soemthing in him to replace Jens with him when Jens was having a bad patch. That was 2 seasons ago. He stuffed up his chance badly then. When he came on in the CL final, I thought he did OK, at least looks the part. The question is should he be given a second chance. Forget England, but what about as Arsenal's next number one.

Dj_F_swift_the_gooner

Shahram said:
Now now, if he is eligible, he'd still be the best keeper england would have.

There rest are sh*t imo even spuds keeper is very unreliable and also plays for ****.

I 100% agree with you mate on this one lol

Paul Robinson is not the finished article in my opinion!! he gets too much protection that makes him look good from JT & Rio..

By the way off subject lol, are those decks the new 1210 mk5g's???

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
he just gets funnier with time doesn't he LOL...

but ATM, england don't have a goalkeeper decent enough to convince any fans that he could pull out some superb saves when it comes to penalty shootouts...

so i think perhaps almunia could be a good option when it comes to a situation like that and we know how suck england are in penalty shootouts (add the thought of gerrard, lampard and carragher's WC06 moments to the insult)

Arsenal Quotes

"Maybe we'll have a good surprise for you"

Arsène hints at transfer activity a day before the arrival of Mesut Özil

Daily Transfer Updates

Thursday, May 30

Arsenal are one of a number of clubs who have had discussions with the entourage of Monaco midfielder Youssouf Fofana [L’Equipe]

Arsenal are the front runners to sign Besiktas’ 18 year old striker Semih Kilicsoy, who scored 12 goals this season [HITC]

A deal for Bologna striker Joshua Zirkzee would involve a £13m commission for agent Kia Joorabchian [Football London]

Arteta wants to add a defender, a central midfielder, a forward and cover on the right wing for Bukayo Saka [Gary Jacob - The Times]

Arsenal are ready to enter the race for Feyenoord left-back Quilindschy Hartman when the Dutchman returns from injury next season [The Telegraph]

RB Leipzig striker Benjamin Šeško has said yes to Arsenal and now the club are in pole position to complete a £45m deal [John Cross - The Mirror]

Bayern Munich are monitoring developments on Oleksandr Zinchenko [John Cross - The Mirror]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom