• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Almunia & PV4

Aussie

Established Member
OneteaminLondon said:
I think Patrick's being judged very harshly on this forum, I think maybe it's to be expected after the events of the summer, but he really is not playing that badly at the moment. I think he was excellent aginst Fulham and played well last night. The two games before his suspension were also indicative of an increased level of performance. Don't forget this boy always comes good in the second half of the season.

As for Almunia, excellent. Fully justifying Arsène's decision to drop the German.

Agreed. I was pissed at him in the summer and i havent completly forgiven him.

Aluminia has been solid as a rock the last few games. Lets hope he can keep it up.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
i think Almunia was a tad nervous the first couple matches (luckily we pulled those games out anyway) AW has shown faith in him, and now Almunia's faith in himself is starting to come through a little more each match. He is beginning to show why AW was interested in him in the first place. Let's hope he can keep on improving each match.

Paddy, well, he hasnt been horrible, but not dominating as in the past. BUT, he has scored a few crucial goals for us recently which is nice.

the dawn raids

Established Member
Vieria is playing better, there can be no doubt the Madrid deal took his focus off the start of the season, but Im sure he'll find hid form sooner rather than later. With Flamini and Cesc playing solid, it gives him more time to find that top gear.

The only thing about Almunia, someone else pointd this out, is that he has a tendency to punch balls he should easily catch. Other than that, he is playing superbly.

Taozhe

let's hope this almunia guy could be the next cudicini buy - unknown goalkeepers who made it big in the EPL. However, I can sense that once he makes one big boo boo - many will cry for his head here. Let's not lower his confidence in case something bad happens.

Josjos

I have to say, people slag Jens, even more now he's been dropped, but i think he is technically an outstanding goalkeeper, his handling is superb, some of the best i've seen, you don't see him fumble those wet bouncers do you?. The only problem with Jens is he's German, therefore erratic and i think he gives our defence (and fans) the jitters, which is exactly what they could do without right now, given we're trying to get it back. I reckon Almunia's done alright, definately given the defence a boost, but Jens will be back soon i think, once the confidence is back, he's vastly experienced in the CL as well. Don't forget who our goalie was on the unbeaten run. Almunia's done ok since he came in, but i watched the carling cup game against man city where he was beaten at his near post by a blobby fowler free kick, then the Man Utd game, he also nearly gifted a goal to Birmingham nearly giving me a heart attck in the North Bank :shock: so, i'm not sure, he's looked alright recently, just i won't be 100% about him for a little while yet

Paddy Vieira's blowing hot and cold at the moment, sure he'll pick it up though, he's class, and he was ill pretty much for the game at Newcastle, but he played and scored, so, can't be too harsh

btw, isn't he the best midfield finisher one on one? leciester last season? Sp**s this one, chelsea last FA cup run...just saying :p

Gurgen

Established Member
It's true, he is an excellent finisher. Can't remember him blowing a 1-on-1 for a long time.

Bader said:
isnt Almunia a great goalkeeper and he is doing very well .... many great catches .... and he always stand in the right place he also very good in the air balls ...... 8)
on the other hand ... Patric Vieira ... thats right he scored a winner last night ... but in midfield he is very slow and he lose the ball easliy ... and he do some deadley mistakes indeed ! i think he need some rest !

I have to agree somewhat here. I wasnt really happy with Almunia at first, but he is becoming really good now. Altho I did want Arsène to bring in Jens for the CL matches.
But I completely disagree about Vieira. He is playing just fine.

Spike

Established Member
gorgeouzGunner said:
Bader said:
isnt Almunia a great goalkeeper and he is doing very well .... many great catches .... and he always stand in the right place he also very good in the air balls ...... 8)
on the other hand ... Patric Vieira ... thats right he scored a winner last night ... but in midfield he is very slow and he lose the ball easliy ... and he do some deadley mistakes indeed ! i think he need some rest !

I have to agree somewhat here. I wasnt really happy with Almunia at first, but he is becoming really good now. Altho I did want Arsène to bring in Jens for the CL matches.

Please no, Lehmann has been costly in the Champions League, and we can't let him ruin our chances again.

This is going back to the group stages last year against Kiev? I think, he came out to sweep, messed up and they scored, luckily we still qualified.

Quarter finals second leg against Chelsea, he parried a shot into the path of a Chelsea player, forgot who but they scored.

Group stage against Panathinaikos, he came out to head a ball and was caught out again.

JazzG

Established Member
Gurgen said:
It's true, he is an excellent finisher. Can't remember him blowing a 1-on-1 for a long time.

Yes he is very good at finishing and does have a good shot on him, he doesn't break through enough and always choses to pass even when there is a better chance of scoring with a shot

OneteaminLondon said:
I think Patrick's being judged very harshly on this forum, I think maybe it's to be expected after the events of the summer, but he really is not playing that badly at the moment.

He isn't playing that bad but he isn't playing anywhere near as good as we know he can and hasn't since 02/03 this is what concerns me.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
JazzG said:
Gurgen said:

Yes he is very good at finishing and does have a good shot on him, he doesn't break through enough and always choses to pass even when there is a better chance of scoring with a shot.

So, Jazz which game were you watching on Wednesday night? Looked like he had a shot to me? :lol:

OneteaminLondon said:
I think Patrick's being judged very harshly on this forum, I think maybe it's to be expected after the events of the summer, but he really is not playing that badly at the moment.

JazzG said:
He isn't playing that bad but he isn't playing anywhere near as good as we know he can and hasn't since 02/03 this is what concerns me.

I genuinely feel with Paddy, people aren't making enough allowances for the fact that for the majority of the last two years he has been seriously injury disrupted. Think about it- the knee that got injured in 2003, and he played on, trying to drag us onto the title singlehandedly as other, more celebrated teammates disappeared in the run in. Finally succumbing against the Mancs of all teams.

Then last year, he missed around three months of the first half of the season with various injuries, again playing when he shouldn't have, away at Kiev. Once he got going though, look at what we acheived.

And this season, well he had no pre season, and the whole Madrid thing was f'cked anyway. He came back, understandably took some time to get going, and no sooner did he appear to be getting back to some kind of form, then he got suspended, so disrupting his rhythm again. But he looks to be improving game by game now.

I just wonder whether we'll see that "old" Vieira again. I think the team has evolved, so is less reliant on his charging style. But I also wonder how long he can keep playing that way anyway, as we know he's not had a great time over the last two years and these injuries, especially the kneee, must be taking its' toll.

That aside, I still believe he is too good to just discard, it would be madness. Any team in Europe would love to have him. Even at 70%.

the dawn raids

Established Member
there can be no denying we are a more dangerous side with Vieria out there, even if it takes him longer to get going. and many times in football, it only takes one moment of brilliance to change a game (like the other night), and we all know he can bring that.

Mark

Established Member
I genuinely feel with Paddy, people aren't making enough allowances for the fact that for the majority of the last two years he has been seriously injury disrupted. Think about it- the knee that got injured in 2003, and he played on, trying to drag us onto the title singlehandedly as other, more celebrated teammates disappeared in the run in. Finally succumbing against the Mancs of all teams.

Then last year, he missed around three months of the first half of the season with various injuries, again playing when he shouldn't have, away at Kiev. Once he got going though, look at what we acheived.

And this season, well he had no pre season, and the whole Madrid thing was f'cked anyway. He came back, understandably took some time to get going, and no sooner did he appear to be getting back to some kind of form, then he got suspended, so disrupting his rhythm again. But he looks to be improving game by game now.

I just wonder whether we'll see that "old" Vieira again. I think the team has evolved, so is less reliant on his charging style. But I also wonder how long he can keep playing that way anyway, as we know he's not had a great time over the last two years and these injuries, especially the kneee, must be taking its' toll.

That aside, I still believe he is too good to just discard, it would be madness. Any team in Europe would love to have him. Even at 70%.

Good post. I've been saying this alot, we need to give the guy a chance. I am still really confident that he will improve, especially with Wenger putting that little extra pressure on him. He wasn't great against Newcastle but it was an improvement and the goal might give him confidence. He'll be back, people. Mark my words.

patrick42uk

Established Member
i dont think vieira will ever be back in the eyses of some fans. i seriously believe that whatever he does will never be enough because of what happened in the summer. its easy to contemplate that because cm isnt like a forward position where goals = form or a wide position where assists = form. with cm the guide to form is more difficult to pin down especially with games where some have to settle for highlights.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
i dont think vieira will ever be back in the eyses of some fans. i seriously believe that whatever he does will never be enough because of what happened in the summer.

I think that's an excellent point. It's sad, but it's understandable. He flirted with another woman, essentially, and though we'll never know for sure the reason why the relationship wasn't consumated, the fact that he even batted his eyelids means that he betrayed us.

Anyway, clumsy metaphors aside, we should move on. He's here, he's not going anywhere and we're a much better team with him in the side. It's time people started realising that, rather than carrying on hurting about something that was dealt with months ago.

gooner#1

Yeah , I have been pleased with Almunia but I dont think his crititsismis really fair.He has been with us since his early twenties and has shown why he is our captain.
All players have off days, and I just feel that he was a bit rusty after his comeback from injury.

Spike said:
gorgeouzGunner said:
Bader said:

Please no, Lehmann has been costly in the Champions League, and we can't let him ruin our chances again.

This is going back to the group stages last year against Kiev? I think, he came out to sweep, messed up and they scored, luckily we still qualified.

Quarter finals second leg against Chelsea, he parried a shot into the path of a Chelsea player, forgot who but they scored.

Group stage against Panathinaikos, he came out to head a ball and was caught out again.

Come on Spikey, Al has absolutely no experience in CL. He gifted that silly goal to Rosenberg also, remember?
Infact Jens knows what it means to play against Bayern Munich, because he will be looking forward to rise from it above Oliver Kahn because of their rivalry. This will do him good in two ways- Arsenes confidence in him might get restored and of course the German connection. Making Ollie look like an idiot. So I think Jens should be given a chance in the upcoming match against Bayern Munich in CL.

BTW it was Wayne Bridge who gave Chelski that win over us.

mood

Patrick was not AWFUL, he was just average - and not at his best.

He showed his real self vs Fulham, and Wenger said he was sick before the Newcastle game and he did very well for someone in that condition.

He's helping the team ALOT defensively now. Just count the amount of balls he has headed away from set-pieces? .. that's what we need!

AdamT

OneteaminLondon said:
patrick42uk said:
i dont think vieira will ever be back in the eyses of some fans. i seriously believe that whatever he does will never be enough because of what happened in the summer.

I think that's an excellent point. It's sad, but it's understandable. He flirted with another woman, essentially, and though we'll never know for sure the reason why the relationship wasn't consumated, the fact that he even batted his eyelids means that he betrayed us.

Anyway, clumsy metaphors aside, we should move on. He's here, he's not going anywhere and we're a much better team with him in the side. It's time people started realising that, rather than carrying on hurting about something that was dealt with months ago.

bullshit. the fact he chose to stay just shows his commitment, and the fact he actually thought about an exciting new career challenge is irrelevant.

as to his form, it will return, just as freddie ljungberg has become red hot again, now he is over his injuries.and i recall plenty of you calling for his head also...

one thing i've always thought is that we play our players too soon after injury, then they re-injure themselves a lot, happened to vieira, ljungberg, gilberto, etc.
and almunia i like him, i hope he continues to do well,he has given us what we haven't had for years, good shot stopping. now everyone always says, oh thats the good thing about seaman, and now lehmann, their positioning is so good they don't make things look spectacular, well bullshit, if your positioning is so good you should still be pulling off screamers that absolutely no one else could save. so props to almunia, bout time

polaris sc

it wouldnt be hard for him to get better, after all the mistakes hes after making.
and he was at fault for the goal against Charlton.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsène Wenger's idea is not only to play good football. It's to play good football to win. In my day, we knew that with our style we could hurt teams and win trophies too. But we did it our way, with the positional game, passing, movement.

Dennis Bergkamp

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 19

RB Leipzig want to offer Benjamin Šeško a new contract to stay for one more year [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal are the negotiating table for Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim via Sport_Witness]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom