• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Almunia - Was he at fault?

hackajack

Established Member
ultradoc said:
And if it was an intelligent classy goalie, he'd have noticed it was JSPark that was at the end of the chance
Indeed, we should equip our keepers with DNA kits, they could swab the striker and have the results analysed by the lab and an optimal goal-saving strategy devised by the Tiger team put into effect.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Maybe Lehmann is right about the freekick and that it's hard to react when it wobbles in the final yards but Almunia didn't react to it quick enough anyway. You have to react before it enters the final ten yards because after that you've got very little chance to get your hands on it even if you manage to register where it will go. I think he should have done better.

To say that it shows he's overrated is just bullshit though. He's had a fantastic season where he's been forced to make a huge amount of match-winning saves. I wouldn't have anyone else in the league above him.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
None of them were his fault per se. He could have done better, i.e. saved them. His distribution was fine. His communication was good. But, yeah, let's bring in Buffoon or whichever other overrated overseas GK is flavour of the month. Or turn it over to Fabianski or whoever else we've got. It's clear that some people will just not let the Barca game and others go, so fine.

progman07

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
Maybe Lehmann is right about the freekick and that it's hard to react when it wobbles in the final yards but Almunia didn't react to it quick enough anyway. You have to react before it enters the final ten yards because after that you've got very little chance to get your hands on it even if you manage to register where it will go. I think he should have done better.

To say that it shows he's overrated is just bullshit though. He's had a fantastic season where he's been forced to make a huge amount of match-winning saves. I wouldn't have anyone else in the league above him.
I didn't actually see what Lehmann said, but this made me :lol: Yeah a keeper who actually knows what's it like out on the pitch MIGHT BE right. :lol:
Why would a fan, sitting in the armchair or in the game at best judge a goalkeeping situation better than a professional keeper?

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
progman07 said:
I didn't actually see what Lehmann said, but this made me :lol: Yeah a keeper who actually knows what's it like out on the pitch MIGHT BE right. :lol:
Why would a fan, sitting in the armchair or in the game at best judge a goalkeeping situation better than a professional keeper?
Maybe you should have seen what he actually said then before you laughed me off. I agree with him about the ball moving unpredictable in the last ten yards, but I think Al could have done better before that, especially given the distance. Lehmann was sticking up for Arsenal too, mind you.

AnthonyG said:
None of them were his fault per se. He could have done better, i.e. saved them. His distribution was fine. His communication was good. But, yeah, let's bring in Buffoon or whichever other overrated overseas GK is flavour of the month. Or turn it over to Fabianski or whoever else we've got. It's clear that some people will just not let the Barca game and others go, so fine.
Unfortunately we both know this is the way it is, Ton. Come the summer there will be quite a few calling for a new goalkeeper, as always. Perhaps Gomes again, or Friedel. Or what about that chap Isaksson? To paraphrase Einstein, only two things are infinite: the universe and fans' stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Not fair, irish. You know perfectly well where I stand in the Almunia matter. And I didn't disagree with Lehmann either.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
I'm teasing somewhat Klaus.

IWasnt really aimed at you Klaus - my views on Almunia are pretty much identical to yours

It was aimed more at the people who suddenly say Manny isnt a great keeper, he's average, should be replaced, he's a disaster etc etc the same people who have never played in goal, yet love to argue about which hand a keeper should go for the ball with!

arsmile

Established Member
he could have done better with the freekick, though it was much harder then it looked.

he's the only reason we were in the tie after the first leg though- it takes nothing away from his season and takes none of the responsibility away from the useless outfieled performance we put in.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
qs said:
ultradoc said:
And if it was an intelligent classy goalie, he'd have noticed it was JSPark that was at the end of the chance..worse finisher with more nerves.

:lol:
:lol: Park is so underrated I tell you

No matter Lehmann is right or wrong, Almunia should have saved the 2nd one. No excuses really. But for the first and the third, seriously theres people blaming him for that?

Double_H

Established Member
how can anyone blame him ?!!

why did the wall move his head ?

it was the wall's job and they screwed up

i dont want to see Ade ever again

TomasCR

Established Member
arsmile said:
he could have done better with the freekick, though it was much harder then it looked.
he's the only reason we were in the tie after the first leg though- it takes nothing away from his season and takes none of the responsibility away from the useless outfieled performance we put in.
That´s what I thought too. There is also a need to say it was Ronaldo, probably the best one at taking free-kicks at the moment, who scored that goal. The thing is, if you have noticed, that as soon as the ball was behind the wall, it went down unbelievably quicky, not many players can hit the ball by their instep like that and I can´t for **** undertand how is he doing so. Thought he was the only one to be blamed at first but watching it again and again, I don´t think many would have saved it.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
It was Al's fault, but so what? Sell him, demote him? The game was over because we don't know how to score anymore.

Arsenal Quotes

"Surely what will be their last attack.

A good ball by Dixon, finding Smith for Thomas, charging through the midfield... It's up for grabs now! Thomas! Right at the end!

What an unbelievable climax to the League season"

Brian Moore on the Thomas' winning goal at Anfield in 1989

Daily Transfer Updates

Thursday, May 30

Arsenal are one of a number of clubs who have had discussions with the entourage of Monaco midfielder Youssouf Fofana [L’Equipe]

Arsenal are the front runners to sign Besiktas’ 18 year old striker Semih Kilicsoy, who scored 12 goals this season [HITC]

A deal for Bologna striker Joshua Zirkzee would involve a £13m commission for agent Kia Joorabchian [Football London]

Arteta wants to add a defender, a central midfielder, a forward and cover on the right wing for Bukayo Saka [Gary Jacob - The Times]

Arsenal are ready to enter the race for Feyenoord left-back Quilindschy Hartman when the Dutchman returns from injury next season [The Telegraph]

RB Leipzig striker Benjamin Šeško has said yes to Arsenal and now the club are in pole position to complete a £45m deal [John Cross - The Mirror]

Bayern Munich are monitoring developments on Oleksandr Zinchenko [John Cross - The Mirror]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom