• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Álvaro Recoba

Canuck

Established Member
Angel?
almost...

Solano, Heinze

there must be others. It's usually the really high profile ones that turn out to be sub-par.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
Heinze, maybe.. so far so good with him.. but only 1 season... Solano, no.. he's OK at best... Angel - well, thought he was going to turn the corner, but then flopped this year....

i honestly cant think of any off the top of my head...

This is sickening, Your comparing him to Gilberto? Solano? Angel? Hahaha they would be lucky to get into the Inter Milan on loan list. Let alone be the highest paid player in the world( he was but he took 2 paycuts)

USArsenal, I don't mean to generalize but its pretty obvious your a amercian and that you don't watch much SerieA football.

This is Alvaro Recoba, Not some Laurent Robert we are talking about for godness sake.

I only used this username as it was the first thing that came into my head because my name was taken.

Haha I wonder what you would of said to David Dien when Arsenal wanted to get Bergkamp off Inter's hand, Or Vieira off Milans Or Henry's of Juve.

Let me guess you think Terry is more complete than Ledley King? If you say yes then your not much of a judge of a player

Canuck

Established Member
This is sickening, Your comparing him to Gilberto? Solano? Angel? Hahaha
Not comparing him...

USArsenal made a general comment that South American players don't have a great track record in the EPL. I just tried to come up with some Southeys who have done alright for themselves in England.

Who mentioned Gilberto?

Actually there is a forum member from Florida who watches plenty of SerieA matches...too bad he isn't around lately.

the dawn raids

Established Member
USArsenal said:
Heinze, maybe.. so far so good with him.. but only 1 season... Solano, no.. he's OK at best... Angel - well, thought he was going to turn the corner, but then flopped this year....

Solano is HIGHLY underrated; hes a brilliant player.

Gunner4Eva

Established Member
He probably took two pay cuts because he clearly isn't what everyone at Inter thought he would be....a consistant footballer. Maybe the reason he doesnt play consistanlt is because he just hasn't got it to make it at Inter.

I personally think of him as a lazy footballer, and don't think Arsenal could get much out of him.

AlvaroRecoba said:
Let me guess you think Terry is more complete than Ledley King? If you say yes then your not much of a judge of a player

I could say the same about you. 8)

Recoba won't make it here, he just isn't THAT good...but i'll admit has one hell of a left foot to him.

Who the hell is Bergkamp Vieira Henry before Arse, Nuff said. And its not like Recoba didn't shine at Inter. Just could of shined more if he played more minutes

You've got some nerve, Especially with Bentley on your avatar, Recoba is a different gravy alltogether.

And no isn't just left foot, Like I said you guys act like you are speaking about Laurent Robert.

Gazza Martinez

Established Member
Recoba won't make it here, he just isn't THAT good...but i'll admit has one hell of a left foot to him.

Oh he is THAT good. When he really plays, he's easily one of the best attackers in the world. I understand what AlvaroRecoba is saying about him not being played enough. Inter have misused one of the best talents in the world, and I have no idea why Recoba hasn't moved on. I said before he was inconsistant, but if he was given a decent run in a team he might just be consistant enough.

Canuck

Established Member
the dawn raids said:
USArsenal said:

Solano is HIGHLY underrated; hes a brilliant player.
I also think that poor Nobby is underrated, I was quite suprised to find that NewU had unloaded him. Good for Villa though, even if he hasn't been outstanding for them, he's certainly added something to their squad.

_scorpion_

Established Member
He is misused at Inter. He is an undoubted talent...I just think he is too lightweight for the premiership. I dont doubt his abilities though.

Gunner4Eva

Established Member
South American players are best in Spain or Italy. They just can't handle the Premier League as well as others. As some have said above, only a handful can claim to of succeeded in the EPL, one being Gilberto and Solano possibly.

The real high profile ones, like Crespo and Forlan flopped like crazy. Now look at the two of them, one back in Italy, and the other in Spain dominating.

When I said above that Recoba wasn't THAT good, I was meaning it in this context. I probably should've been more clear. I don't think he would be able to adapt to such a physical league, and is probably too old too eventually adapt and then succeed.

ChelseaFan

I've allways seen Recoba as an overpaid, inconsistant, prima donna. I think Arsenal as a club (particually with Wenger as manager) can do alot better with their money buying a few good kids and developing them the way in which Wenger is famous than buying Recoba.

Chips&CurrySauce

I don't buy this, 'south americans aren't suited to the premiership' We can look at our 3 Brazilian players, Gilberto, Edu and Sylvinho and all 3 have or did perform very well in premiership. Of course buying young players from South America is a risk but ht elikes of Adriano, Kaka, Baptista etc are all more than capable to be top stars in the premiershp. I think even Forlan would have done well at a smaller club like Villa, or Midlesborough.. The problem is when you join a top club like Manu, you have to be a top class player.. This was more poor judgment by Ferguson.. As for Kleberson I could have told him myself that he was gonna flop, wh do you think no one in Italy or Spain (the top teams) were interested in him?

As for Recoba, I'm just not sure. I watch a fair bit of seria A and obvioulsy he is laways on the bench for Inter.. He has always seemed a bit too heavy for me and lacks a bit of mobility.. Kind of reminds me of De la Pena, thouhgh he probably is more talented.. No doubting he has a sweet left foot.. And the reason why no one has been interested in signing him is because he is on ridiculous wages.... By the way, how old is he?? I know Gabrielle Marcotti (a journalist for one of Italy's top sports papers and also an Inter fan) rates him as potentially one of the worlds outstanding talents.. The problem is, if he really is that good, why has no one really seen it apart from the odd amazing goal.. After all Inter have had atleast 3 different managers (probably more) since Recoba has been at Inter and yet he has always been on the bench!

MightyArsenal

Id also agreed, one of the greatest "wasted" talents. I used to see him alot 4-5 years ago. He was amazing, and actually is is fast and not slow like some have said. I guess the injuries have taken their toll on him, but hes still class and could do a job.

Id also place him as one of the best free kick takers along with Van hoijdonk and Juninho Pernambacao (I know I havent spelt it right), when they take free kicks its almost a penalty for them.

burnsjed

Established Member
of course most members here will not remember the impact 2 Argentinians had at Sp**s in 1978. Ardilies was a huge hit, and Villa to a less degree, though he did score one of the best F.A Cup Final goals ever in 1982 (I belive)
But on the whole S AMerican's have not been a great success in England, that said they haven't come her in the numbers they have to Spain & Italy, and whether it is because those countries have a bette network then we do, I think it is also fair to say the quality has not been the same.

Gunner4Eva

Established Member
RockyRocastle said:
Trivia question - first Brazilian to play in England?

No googeling allowed.

I know this one...just cant remember his name. It is something like Miranda, or something along those lines wasn't it? I know he played for the 'Toon, but I can swear his name was something like Miranda.

Arsenal Quotes

I think without doubt that Bergkamp is the most talented player to have played for Arsenal in the past 30 years, for as long as I can remember

Liam Brady
Top Bottom