• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Finances

scytheavatar

Established Member
@Slartibartfast

We have made hefty profits on player sales in 2018 (Giroud, AOC, Walcott, Wojech, Gibbs, Wilshere) - the sales of those players alone would have given us significant room in the STCC model, the problem is timing, I haven't found anything online which states when PL clubs are required to report their wage bills and income for the purposes of the STCC guidelines.

Invested them all on Laca, Auba, and our last summer's signings. We have been spending plenty of money on transfers.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

I cant understand why our wage bill is so high. You have Özil, auba and maybe cech along with Kos on high/ish wages.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
I cant understand why our wage bill is so high. You have Özil, auba and maybe cech along with Kos on high/ish wages.

Lacazette and Mkhitaryan are close to the 200k per week mark. Mustafi, Bellerin, Sokratis and Koscielny are all around the £100k mark. Xhaka, Ramsey and Torreira are all around that mark. Kolasinac is in something like £130k per week. Then you have to add on bonuses to the base salary figures.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Lacazette and Mkhitaryan are close to the 200k per week mark. Mustafi, Bellerin, Sokratis and Koscielny are all around the £100k mark. Xhaka, Ramsey and Torreira are all around that mark. Kolasinac is in something like £130k per week. Then you have to add on bonuses to the base salary figures.
So basically Özil is on 2 players wages need to make a decision on him too.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Invested them all on Laca, Auba, and our last summer's signings. We have been spending plenty of money on transfers.

You misread me. I'm referring to the Premier League STCC rules which prohibit clubs from increasing the wage bill > £7m per season unless the club can increase it's revenue. So if you want to increase your wage bill by £10m in a season, £3m has to come from an increase in income (Match Day, Profit on player sales, Commercial income)

So even though a club has ample funds to purchase players, if you can't increase your revenue to match your increase in wage bill over the £7m allowance, your hands are tied so to speak

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Also, Aubameyang is on £200k p/w base + he has significant bonuses which push it closer to £300k

ptrcopp

Are you not happy that we are not buying a reject for that money? That is what we used to do.

They are simply taking a calculated risk. They believe Emery can get enough out of the squad as it is to either get top four or win the Europa league.

IF we managed to do that, we would spend the money we have in the summer and also have the added attraction of being a Champions League club.

I want investment into the team and for the hierarchy to show both ambition and support for the coaching staff.

The club needs investment.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
You misread me. I'm referring to the Premier League STCC rules which prohibit clubs from increasing the wage bill > £7m per season unless the club can increase it's revenue. So if you want to increase your wage bill by £10m in a season, £3m has to come from an increase in income (Match Day, Profit on player sales, Commercial income)

So even though a club has ample funds to purchase players, if you can't increase your revenue to match your increase in wage bill over the £7m allowance, your hands are tied so to speak
Unless your hands happen to belong to Sheikh Mansour or Roman Abramovich.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Find it interesting how Emery was more than happy to make this public knowledge. Will the board be happy he's done that? It could be seen as Emery basically saying "you can't blame me if we fail to get top 4 I couldn't improve the squad". I think certainly the fans will back Emery in this instance.

Tir Na Nog

Our recruitment over the last few years has been absolutely shocking. Xhaka, Mustafi, Perez, Kolasinac, Lacazette, Aubameyang, Mkhitaryan could even throw in a few of the lads from the summer especially Lichsteiner. I'll leave the others out for the moment in case folk start crying. But all these guys signed for either a decent fee or/and are on top wages. In the summer of 2016 we spent of 100 million and none of the seasons improved our squad and we fell out of the top 4. Then we signed Lacazette and Kolasinac in the summer of 2016 before signing a second striker in January the two combining over 100 million when we had other glaring weaknesses in the squad. While also being stuck with Mkhitaryan on decent wages and of course then giving Özil his 350k contract. It's just mismanagement of the highest order. You can cry about Kroenke not putting his own money in all you want but when you've wasted the money we have then you have to put the blame toward Gazidis and Wenger (to a lesser extent imo) for allowing this to happen. Though they're both gone so the new crowd have essentially inherited an absolute mess which could set us back years. Then you have someone like Elneny who loves London so much that he refuses to go even when we could get a decent fee for him. The whole thing is a massive clusterfuck.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Our recruitment over the last few years has been absolutely shocking. Xhaka, Mustafi, Perez, Kolasinac, Lacazette, Aubameyang, Mkhitaryan could even throw in a few of the lads from the summer especially Lichsteiner. I'll leave the others out for the moment in case folk start crying. But all these guys signed for either a decent fee or/and are on top wages. In the summer of 2016 we spent of 100 million and none of the seasons improved our squad and we fell out of the top 4. Then we signed Lacazette and Kolasinac in the summer of 2016 before signing a second striker in January the two combining over 100 million when we had other glaring weaknesses in the squad. While also being stuck with Mkhitaryan on decent wages and of course then giving Özil his 350k contract. It's just mismanagement of the highest order. You can cry about Kroenke not putting his own money in all you want but when you've wasted the money we have then you have to put the blame toward Gazidis and Wenger (to a lesser extent imo) for allowing this to happen. Though they're both gone so the new crowd have essentially inherited an absolute mess which could set us back years. Then you have someone like Elneny who loves London so much that he refuses to go even when we could get a decent fee for him. The whole thing is a massive clusterfuck.
Can't see why are Laca and Auba on your list, they are quality players and on the current market they cost a lot, but at least they produce on the field.
Agree with everything else, I've stopped watching Arsenal last year just because I was tired of all the sh*t Wenger was doing here. I've said before Emery came that this club was crippled by Wenger/Gazidis for the next 3 years after they are gone.
We are paying 600k/w for Özil, Mkhi, Lich and Elneninho, that's 30m + bonuses while at the same time the owner is sending emails that everyone should save money. Maybe the chef will start buying food on discount prices at Aldi or someone will reduce heating over the winter time, but everyone should be more careful to turn off the lights so they save on electricity bills (10$ fine if they don't).

Tir Na Nog

Can't see why are Laca and Auba on your list, they are quality players and on the current market they cost a lot, but at least they produce on the field.
Agree with everything else, I've stopped watching Arsenal last year just because I was tired of all the sh*t Wenger was doing here. I've said before Emery came that this club was crippled by Wenger/Gazidis for the next 3 years after they are gone.
We are paying 600k/w for Özil, Mkhi, Lich and Elneninho, that's 30m + bonuses while at the same time the owner is sending emails that everyone should save money. Maybe the chef will start buying food on discount prices at Aldi or someone will reduce heating over the winter time, but everyone should be more careful to turn off the lights so they save on electricity bills (10$ fine if they don't).

It's the fact we spent so much on both of them when other positions needed strengthening. We signed two strikers for over 100 million in a time where playing with 2 natural strikers up top is extremely uncommon. In hindsight we should have signed one and just kept Giroud as backup with Welbeck there and Nketiah pushing through would have been enough. Tho it's not as big as the others we've ****ed up on I suppose.

Fallout

yes, we have major issues with our transfer activity and our wages. obviously, we should feel angry about that.

but, for me, that is a second-order offense to kroenke's actions. the mismanagement of our squad is due to negligence. kroenke, though, is pure selfishness.

he is taking out a massive loan against the club's cash flow, just so that he can be 100% owner. 4.5M per quarter is 18M per season. and who knows what else he is taking out from the cash flow? remember when he took out "consulting fees" a few seasons ago? we also still have interest payments from the stadium debt as well.

we better pray sven is the real deal, because we cannot compete financially with city, united, chelsea, and liverpool. i feel we are going to be a 5th/6th place team for quite a while.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Right, so as I understand it there’s nothing afoot to change our spending from 5th in the league.

We’re giving Ramsey away and can only acquire loan players. Great.

Same old, same old. Good managers, badly run finances.

Wonder if Kallstrom’s free, might help us keep in the top 6.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Unless your hands happen to belong to Sheikh Mansour or Roman Abramovich.

That one arcticle someone posted but I can't remember where explains it quite good. City wasn't affeceted by this wage bill thingy cause their "revenue" increased - superficially without direct input by their sheikh which only goes into the calculation of the "not make any debt-ruling" of the league. The big questions and the stuff that should be investigated and banned though is that e.g. City's revenue and thus their ability to pay more and higher wages every season increased so much by a massive sponsorship deal with Etihad which is of course owned by City's owner.

Find it interesting how Emery was more than happy to make this public knowledge. Will the board be happy he's done that? It could be seen as Emery basically saying "you can't blame me if we fail to get top 4 I couldn't improve the squad". I think certainly the fans will back Emery in this instance.

It certainly is not against the club's intents. Emery would be a massive idiot if he picked a fight against the hierarchy after half a season. The club has more to spent than 15m but they don't want to spend half of it on Denis Suarez when they know Barca is open to loan+buy options, e.g. Alcacer. If Emery had come out and said: "It's all bullshit we can't spend. We got 30 million in the bank", would that make it worse or better? I'll answer that for you: Worse. Cause Barca then had a public statement by the club manager which they could use in the Suarez deal. If the Arsenal manager says Arsenal has the money for permanent deals, then why should Barca go for the lowball offer of a loan+buy clause? If Emery would have said anything else he would have ****ed the club. There's basically zero credibility to such quotes.
Staying your ground in negotiations is far more important than reassuring fans of the club's finances. Would you like it if Emery had come out and stated that yes, Arsenal has money to spent, just to appease and silence the fans, and then we sign no one cause all clubs increase the demanded fees, and then in the summer Emery comes out and says: " Well, we tried to sign a few players last January but I had to come out and assure the fans of the club's ability to sign players, but then everyone wanted more for the players we looked at, so we ended up with no one 'cause I made it public Arsenal actually had funds."

It's ridiculous how fans of Arsenal always go on public and precise numbers regarding the transfer budget. Any club could absolutely milk us if what we could spend was actually common knowledge.

Last edited:

Zaza

That is EXACTLY what he's done. Honestly the more I think about jt, the more I feel Wenger wasn't the sole problem of this club. Say what you want - Wenger is no fool. You can't tell me from making signings like Nasri, Hleb, Santi, Koscienly, etc he all of a sudden went to signing Xhaka, mustafi, etc. StatDna and Gazidis seriously ruined this club.
Wenger never wanted to pay over 20m for Mustafi.
Xhaka truly wasn't his first choice.
He wanted Griezmann but was told his numbers didn't look good
Wanted De Bruyne when he was at Wolfsburg but was told he wouldn't cope with the physicality in the league.
Alexis was the last great signing Wenger made. From 2014, it started going downwards.
Gazidis should be taking alot more blame than he is currently. He ran off before he could get exposed.

Tony's nose

I still squirm at Kroenke statement of ' You wouldn't be in sport to win trophies '

To many excuses for him on here , get real we are going nowhere with him driving the ship.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
I still squirm at Kroenke statement of ' You wouldn't be in sport to win trophies '

To many excuses for him on here , get real we are going nowhere with him driving the ship.
Careful, you'll find you get labelled a doom monger if you speak the truth.

Kronke was never more honest (probably unwittingly so) than when he made that statement.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I want investment into the team and for the hierarchy to show both ambition and support for the coaching staff.

The club needs investment.

Even if it's anything? We are run on a self sustaining model. So every buy needs to be spot on. Spending 20 million on Suarez. A player who in 2 years we will be struggling to get rid of as he will be running his contract down and will have no resale value. That could prevent us from spending 50 million on a younger more talented player who could develop and double in value.

We need to distribute our wages more sensibly. You don't buy Suarez when Nelson will come back in the summer. Nelson has a chance to develop into a first team player and has a very high ceiling.

I also believe that we will use Nelson on the left and buy a left footer to play on the right.

Arsenal Quotes

Reyes !!!
Stand up for the Champions!

Martin Tyler's commentary after Jose Antonio Reyes (RIP) scores the winner against Middlesborough
Top Bottom