• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal players on twitter

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
I don't know, its complicated. The word has become so associated with Sp**s that its nearly as common as calling us gooners. Had a look on glory glory and most seem to actually think its a bit unfair.

Dokaka

AM's resident closet Arsenal fan
It doesn't really matter whether he understands what it means or not. I'm sure he doesn't, I'm sure there are many things Frimpong doesn't understand.

The point is that Suarez defence was that "negrito" wasn't such an offensive word where he comes froim - in which he is actually right, to some extent. In essence it means "small black man", derived from the ethnic groups that were actually called Negritoes. As far as I know, it has since become a "mild" slur towards black people, but as it is still a racially motivated insult, he should get punished as he did.

Same goes for Frimpong. He might not have known that yid is a racially motivated slur, but he still said it. Whether it be meant towards a very specific group, Tottenham fans, he still said "scumbag yiddo" on a social media platform with several thousand followers.

As I said, I'm sure he didn't mean it as an antisemetic thing. That's what seperates his case from Suarez's, but he should still get punished, although not as harshly as A: It didn't happen on the pitch and B: It's obvious to everyone he meant Tottenham Fans, not jew.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Negrito is an offensive word in Uruguay too, if you use it as an offensive word. You can call your friends that way if they okay with it, but you won't go on the street and call people negrito just because they're black and short. It's a bullshit excuse - imagine you call somebody a ****, and you get called out on it, and you tell people that it's not offensive since where you're from you and your friends call each other ****s jokingly every day. That may well be the case, it doesn't change the fact that it's still an insult.

Whereas Frimpong called the Tottenham fan "**** yid" with (probably) the meaning and intent of just "**** Tottenham fan", so to me there is a big difference.

DiamondGooner

Established Member
This is ridiculous words have more than one meaning

Wicked

Cool

Hot

etc etc the list goes on, Yid is their frigging nick name which they use themselves and Jewish people should feel happy that in general people don't see the word Yid as offensive as other racial names if you know what I mean.

Hold on "Yiddish" isn't that what they bloody call themselves anyway?? the worlds gone fkin mad I tell ya.

Definition of the word Yiddish ...

"A language used by Jews in central and eastern Europe before the Holocaust. It was originally a German dialect with words from Hebrew"

So someone abbreviated this word to Yid for short and all of a sudden this word is offensive?? BS!

Vela

Established Member
When he apologised we dealt with it internally and fined him,’ said Wenger. ‘We did what we had to do. You cannot forbid it (tweeting) because that is a restriction of freedom of speech.

‘The problem is when people tweet straight away and it is a little bit of an emotional reaction.

‘You still have to master your response and try to be correct. We have to accept what will happen.’

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2178494/Arsène-Wenger-fury-Emmanuel-Frimpong-charged-improper-conduct.html#ixzz21a50gLSV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z21a50gLSV</a>

Airknight

Established Member
At least he tweets like an Arsenal fan... hopefully he can learn a very valuable lesson, STFU and humilliate them on the pitch where it matters.

Not even bothering with the negrito thing again.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Armor for Sleep said:
Dokaka said:
How can you not know "scumbag yid" is offensive? Especially after Suarez got an 8 game ban for saying "negrito".

Theres no point even comparing it to the Suarez incident.

I honestly think he has been harshly treated. Even Sp**s fans call themselves the yid army and they chant "yiddo" regularly. He's thick but what he said was harmless.

Yes, but there is a difference between a black person saying a certain N word to another black person vs. a non-black person saying it to a black person.

It [yid] may seem "harmless" to you, but that doesn't mean it isn't potentially offensive.

Personally I think most of it is a load of overly PC hogwash (getting offended over stuff like this), but if there are standards then they need to be respected across the board, not just for certain racial groups. From that POV, he's unlucky but it is the right thing to do.

Sorry Frimmy, you are yet another victim of the PC brigade.

Mastadon

Established Member
Completely agree with Mark if you look at the context in which the word was used it would be clear to any reasonable person that it was an insult against Sp**s and nothing racial. And its nothing like the Evra-Suarez case I mean United are not commonly known as the Negrito's are they?

ibby

Established Member
I hope Frimpong doesn't stop tweeting, I'm going to miss his mild attempts at seducing slightly above average black women. :worthy

DiamondGooner

Established Member
Mastadon said:
Completely agree with Mark if you look at the context in which the word was used it would be clear to any reasonable person that it was an insult against Sp**s and nothing racial. And its nothing like the Evra-Suarez case I mean United are not commonly known as the Negrito's are they?

Agreed.

What annoy's me more than anything about things like this is that it makes a mockery of people who have actually had to overcome "real" racisim.

Inncidents like this turn the whole subject into a point scoring joke.

qs

Established Member
Dokaka said:
Perhaps he's okay with antisemitism :lol: Though I highly doubt that, seems like a decent kid, his twitter outbursts aside.

Was the guy he said it to even Jewish?

Do the fans at Man Utd sing "Negrito Army" every week?

Dokaka

AM's resident closet Arsenal fan
qs said:
Dokaka said:
Perhaps he's okay with antisemitism :lol: Though I highly doubt that, seems like a decent kid, his twitter outbursts aside.

Was the guy he said it to even Jewish?

Do the fans at Man Utd sing "Negrito Army" every week?

You'd be okay if he'd tweeted "scumbag n***er" to Piers Morgan?

It's besides the point. I agree with Mark that people are overly sensitiv, but no matter what way you look at it, he called someone a scumbag yid.

Do we understand the context? Yes. Does that mean no-one on Twitter is going to be offended by what, in essense, is a racially fueled slur? Nope.

As I said, he obviously didn't mean it that way. But he crossed the line according to FA rules.

Honestly, the fact that he even called the guy a "scumbag" is probably enough to get him fined. I don't agree with it, but it's how it is. For now anyway.

arsmile

Established Member
yid is a difficult one

it exists in a bubble in football- and it shouldnt really, we should be shot of it. i can see how people can grow up around it in football ignorant to its history, but that is no good thing or excuse.

it's all well and good totenham fans saying they are reclaiming the word, but the fact remains that the very vast majority of totenham fans are not jews- it is not their word to reclaim. And even if it was, it is still really in remarkably bad taste for us to use it. we've compartmentalised it for too long in football.

morpho

Established Member
i might be stupid (or not english) but never suspected yid to mean jew myself :D so please enlighten me... what does the jewish have to do with sp*ds? i guess nothing... if their fans were called "black army" i wouldnt have any problem calling a yid a "fukcing black", meaning i wouldnt be thinking of anything other than the fans "black army" - not coloured people... same with yid's... people need to relax about the whole racism thing... people often get offended because they want to be offended

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The issue with twitter is the basic problem between what someone writes and what someone says. If you are saying something to a specific person the whole exchange is expressed in a context that both parties usually understand plus a known history or an implied history that could be based around many factors including how someone looks, where they are from, how they are dressed and many other things. These distinctions can allow someone to say many things that could be construed as racist, but not taken in that way due to the context of the exchange. Things like "I know Bill isn't a racist, but that joke wasn't that funny." or "People from that area always say stuff like that."

However, when stuff is written down that implied or understood context needs to be explained, so that when a wider audience reads it they don't take the phrase out of context. With twitter this is very hard because you can only use 140 characters. The Frimpong issue became a big deal because Arsenal has a global fan base who may not know Tottenham's association with Jewish people, so they could have read it and though he was using a derogatory term for Jewish people instead of a commonly used term for a Sp**s supporter.

He didn't mean anything negative about it, and didn't even know that it was a negative word, but better judgment would have been better.

famous no 10

Established Member
I've never really liked the whole "yid" thing, but the sp*rs have themselves to blame for that one...if they didn't adopt the name as a badge of honour then there would be no mixed message as to it's meaning, and the term {used as abuse by other fans}would never have been so widespread.

As far as I understand {and remember} other London football fans would use the term in a derogatory manner when referring to sp*rs...to diffuse this they adopted it as their own.It hasn't worked and is a complete sick joke of a nickname...I know a couple of sp*rs fans {yes, hard to believe but true!} one is jewish, the other not, bot both are embarrassed by it's use.

Actually, even sp*rs fans would admit, us Gooners probably understand the complexity of the "yid" issue better than most other football fans...we're from practically the same area for one thing, but I think you'll find that many jewish people find seeing the star of David flag with "yids" written on it, waved by the sp*rs fans, as sending out a message of encouragement to carry on using the term. I do understand the tribal identity of a football community, with it's quirks that are unique to the mainly match going locals, {for instance, not many on here, and even less other fans, would know the significance of "SHE WORE! or "EIE!"} but of course this is broadcast through the media through chanting and banners, etc.

As a club, perhaps they should have banned their own fans from using the term.

famous no 10

Established Member
AnthonyG said:
Pushing aside the actual and latest comment, I think there is a reason this kind of stuff keeps happening to Frimpong though - he's a just a wee bit thick (to echo Dokaka and albakos, amongst others). It happens.

Yes, probably right Ant.

It's incredible that someone so involved with North London football, living in London, can actually not know that "yid" refers to Jewish people...really pisses me off when our players act like this, they bring a bad name to the club and make themselves look like idiots.

GDeep™

League is very weak
"Arsenal's Emmanuel Frimpong has been fined £6,000 and warned as to his future conduct after admitting an FA charge under FA rule E3 for improper conduct in relation to recent comments made on Twitter.

Frimpong posted comments amounting to improper conduct and/or brought the game into disrepute, which included a reference to faith."

- Football Association.

I think he should follow other younger players at the club who have cut down their twitter usage.

Anyway, I wish Robin would change his twitter pic from himself in a Dutch shirt to an Arsenal shirt. :(

jerome2158

Established Member
famous no 10 said:
AnthonyG said:
Pushing aside the actual and latest comment, I think there is a reason this kind of stuff keeps happening to Frimpong though - he's a just a wee bit thick (to echo Dokaka and albakos, amongst others). It happens.

Yes, probably right Ant.

It's incredible that someone so involved with North London football, living in London, can actually not know that "yid" refers to Jewish people...really pisses me off when our players act like this, they bring a bad name to the club and make themselves look like idiots.

one thing I've learned by being in close contact with pro athletes (though be it of a different sport) is that they aren't like the rest of us, simply because they never have to mature. They are given huge amounts of money and fame at a young age to play a game they've been playing their whole lives. As a result, something as simple and common as knowing the meanings of certain words...slips away.

honestly, it's a good thing these guys are good at their sport, else there'd be literally nothing for them to do.

Arsenal Quotes

First I went left, he did too. Then I went right and he did too. Then I went left again and he went to buy a hot dog.

Arsene Wenger on dribbling Zinedine Zidane in a charity game

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 28

Arsenal have been handed a boost as Sporting Lisbon have lowered their asking price for CB Ousmane Diomande from €80m to €60m [Record]

Sheffield Wednesday are keen on signing 21 year old striker Mika Biereth on loan [The Sheffield Star]

Arsenal hope to command a sizeable fee for Eddie Nketiah this summer [The Athletic]

Arsenal and AC Milan are interested in Monaco midfielder Youssouf Fofana [Gazzetta]

Thomas Partey’s preference is to stay at Arsenal, but no talks have taken place over a new contract with one year left and the club could consider offers this summer [Charles Watts]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom