• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal should campagin for 7 on the bench for EPL

nnaife

Jose Mourinho and his predessor Raineri brought up an interesting topic of increasing the capacity of the subs bench in the EPL from 5 to 7 spaces.

CL and Spanish LaLiga allows for 7 subs as do the European and World cup tournaments.

Given the sheer size of chelsea's squad one can joke about their true intensions for wanting this rule changed.

But their arguments make a lot of sense for all large squad EPL teams contesting several trophies during the season, especially for Arsenal with the very young squad we have.

You just try picking the subs bench for Arsenal ahead thinking about what positions may require reinforcing throughout a game with 5 subs permited.

Pennant, Van persie, Reyes, Clichy, Senderos was best that i could do assuming we were playing our strongest first 11 and that paddy is still here.

Damn i forgot about midfield cover Gilberto or Flamini if he has indeed signed.

Oh dear, i totally forgot about goalie cover what if Jens loses it completely and is sent packing, better get Taylor on the bench pronto.

So who do i scarifice from my original bench of subs?

If there were 7 places then hey no problem at all.

* 2 More subs on the bench means more scope for the manager to turn things around during in a match.

* Allows more of the squad to play in more competitve matches

* Youngsters can be given a chance to shine more easily.

* It prevents key players from having to continue the full match after picking up an injury.

* The quality of the match doesn't necessarily suffer by players playing out of their natural positions.

7 sub spaces on the bench makes a lot of sense, so come on Dein sort it out.

thegreatbriton

I disagree simply because its that arrogant fool Mourinho putting forward the plan. He is new to the league, and already thinks he owns the place. We won the league in the 30's without subs, and I dont want that smarmy fool changing things just because he isn't intelligent enough to manage a team without huge amount sof substitutions.

jc8gooner

I think 7 substitutes would be good. It would give the managers more options, the fringe players more happiness, the youngsters more opportunities and the game more possibilities. Mourinho has a good point I think, even though he is an arrogant ****.

Adam

Established Member
It helps us for the Champions League as it gives our bench players more experience, and we would have more quality on the bench as a result - thus giving us the best ability to cope with all the games. This is an advantage other leagues have.

lewdikris

Established Member
I think it's a good idea - contemporary football's about squads not first XIs, and rightly so. People wanna complain about Arsène not giving young players a go? Get 7 subs on and that problem would all but disappear.

A

Anonymous

Who does Morinho think he is! He has just arrived in the EPL and is already ssaying how we should change things, who the **** does he think he is, what a ****. Sadly looks like we have another ferguson to deal with, who thinks they are the best and know everything and that their opinions are always right. What a ****.
He only wants 7 subs because it suits chelsea more than anyone. They have such a deep squad it is hard for him to drop some players, with extra subs it means he doesnt have to. Plus it means they have more top players on their bench to choose from, they dont have average players on their bench, yet the only thing that makes their substitutions less effective is because they only have a limit of 1 player per position thus that player may not suit the tempo of the game. However with extra subs it would allow chelsea to have more options from their endless list of top players, they are able to fill a 7 man bench with top players, no other club in england can do that, especially not arsenal = cygan, aliadiere, parlour etc.
What i am struggling to explain is that 7 subs will give chelsea even more of an advantage because they can put more of their top players they just signed on the bench, where other teams will struggle to fill a bench of 7 with meaningful players that would actually get a run.

Arsenal316

I think Mourinho is right. I think the EPL should go to 7 substitutes. You're allowed 7 in all the other leagues on the continent of Europe, CL matches, and UEFA Cup matches.

In the World Cup and European championships, you can select anybody from the remaining 12 players on your roster.

I think with 7 subs, you can dress two forwards, two midfielders, two defenders, and one backup goalkeeper. That's what Wenger does when he plays in Europe. Having only 5 to choose from can be very tough.

thegreatbriton

If we play Chelsea in a gma ewith seven subs our 6th and 7th subs could very well end up being player slike Quincy and Cygan. They on the other hand could include Robben and Kezman. Therefore it goves their massive squad an advantage over every other side in the league.

calvinngai88

True enough, 7 subs MIGHT be a disadvantage to us, in terms of league matches. With ManU and Chelsea having big squads (Arsenal's not small either, but still smaller than them), if the substitutes places increased to 7, then Chelsea can have almost all their players into the match, as for Arsenal, the youngsters would have to be brought into the stadium to feel some of the atmosphere. And Arsenal MIGHT also be intimidated with their substitutes. :D

nnaife

Sorry Calvinngai88, Arsenal certainly don't need to feel intimidated by Chelsea's subs as we have quite formidable bench ourselves on top having a better first XI.

7 subs really favours squad football as opposed to team football. It would be more difficult to field a great XI(11) with 7 subs, as opposed to having fewer spaces on the bench. So you'd see fewer great teams but more powerful squads.

But today's football schedule combined with all the sporadic internationals that syphon players at various stages during a season, does reqiure clubs to field squads and hence rules to accomodate squad football such as having 7 subs are just plain common sense.

Clubs with limited resources will struggle to compete with the larger squad based clubs and having 7 subs may just increase the gap between the haves and have nots, and therefore a very good reason to stick with 5 subs in the EPL to prevent the competive level from shifting in favour of the Chelseas Liverpools and Arsenals.

XxGoonaStuxX

I think 7 substitution spots would be good, giving us a wider range to select from and wouldn't mind the idea but if I didn't happen 5 spaces is usually just about right.....

Stim

thegreatbriton said:
If we play Chelsea in a gma ewith seven subs our 6th and 7th subs could very well end up being player slike Quincy and Cygan. They on the other hand could include Robben and Kezman. Therefore it goves their massive squad an advantage over every other side in the league.

They may have better players, but they can still only make 3 subs, so it shouldn't make much difference. We should still have atleast 3 decent players on the bench to compete with theirs anyway, so i think the rule should be changed to 7 subs on the bench.

sebasvard

I don't see a great benefit from this. If you have 3 subs to use, and with the type of players we have, it's easy to reshuffle positions even with 5 on bench.

Eg on bench Almunia, Cygan, Gilberto, Van Persie, Bergkamp.
XI = Lehmann
Trabelsi Toure Campbell Cole
Ljungberg Edu Vieira Pires
Reyes Henry

No problem with attacking subs.
If Edu injured, Gilberto on. If Paddy then injured, Toure can push up and Cygan on etc.

It makes it more beneficial to have multi-talentedplayers as we do. Mourinho is just not confident enough a Premiership manager yet, plus has too many egos to accomodate at the bridge.

If then

Arsenal Quotes

If you don't believe you can do it then you have no chance at all.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom