• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Sign Sol Campbell

General

Established Member
Re: Arsenal Sign Sol Campbell On Trial

Cruisio said:
Just wanted to say to a fair number of people questioning the signing - at the start of the season, about 90% of us on here questioned the signing of Vermaelen, including me. "He's from the dutch league", "£10m!? Why didnt we get Hangeland for that!" "He's not tall enough" etc etc, and look how that has turned out so far.

90% is an exaggeration. I don’t see many similarities between this and Vermaelen’s signing apart from the hackneyed ‘Wenger knows’. Add to this- Wenger going against his own principle of re-signing former players, less so an ageing centre back, and the apprehension is warranted. On the non-footballing side of things I’d happily welcome Sol but you can only accommodate so many geriatrics in your backline.

@ Patrick - And this would apply to anyone questioning Wenger’s decisions. I’m sure you’ve never gone down this route. Pointless!

dreamLord

Established Member

Yeah, certainly not going to be, or rather should be a first choice anytime soon unless he improves drastically. For the future, maybe, he's only 22.

General said:
90% is an exaggeration. I don’t see many similarities between this and Vermaelen’s signing apart from the hackneyed ‘Wenger knows’. Add to this- Wenger going against his own principle of re-signing former players, less so an ageing centre back, and there apprehension is warranted. On the non-footballing side of things I’d happily welcome Sol but you can only accommodate so many geriatrics in your backline.
I don't think anyone is saying we should follow Wenger blindly, but rather atleast give Sol a chance. Wenger has seen him much more than any of the fans, so it's natural that he's in a better position to judge Sol worthy of that signing or not. As for the reversal of his policy - maybe he has realized that we are seriously going to need cover considering our upcoming schedule and the fact that he IS signing Sol should relieve you because it means that Sol is playing extremely well even at 35 rather than the opposite!

qs

Established Member

sabret00the said:
The problem with the Campbell signing for me, is the one thing that everyone is talking up. His dressing room influence. Neither Gallas or Vermaelen look like they need tips on how to defend. The same goes for Sagna. Clichy was developed alongside Campbell and I can't say I rate him that highly, Gibbs on the other hand looks like he could reach Cole level and Traore looks like he could reach around the Clichy mark. So what positive influence is he coming here to give?

As good as TV I doubt he's so arrogant he thinks he's got nothing left to learn. And Campbells influence goes beyond that, we've a young squad with little or no experience of winning things and only one experience of coming close and collapsing in a title run in. Campbells experience can help alot if we're still in the mix up come March.

I'll also add theres no way Traore is getting close to Clichys level. The guys performances have been hugely overrated this season.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse

the dawn raids said:
Klaus Daimler said:
On a related note, Physioroom has Djourou down for a return on 10th March. Which would mean within 13 games in a best case scenario. No guarantees of course, but where does this idea that he's (supposedly) out until the end of April originate from?

I wouls assume because the injury news on the official site is kind of vague:

Johan Djourou
January 4
Johan suffered a knee injury while on international duty in August and faces a lengthy lay-off. “Johan is [out for] six to eight months,” Wenger said on November 9. “He had big surgery, and it is a big blow for him and the Club. He will have to be patient this season.”

So does that mean 6-8 months from August? Or from November 9?

from August, but the reckoning was that his season was done. If he is due back in early March, then that is a positive.

Cruisio

Established Member

General said:
Cruisio said:
Just wanted to say to a fair number of people questioning the signing - at the start of the season, about 90% of us on here questioned the signing of Vermaelen, including me. "He's from the dutch league", "£10m!? Why didnt we get Hangeland for that!" "He's not tall enough" etc etc, and look how that has turned out so far.

90% is an exaggeration. I don’t see many similarities between this and Vermaelen’s signing apart from the hackneyed ‘Wenger knows’. Add to this- Wenger going against his own principle of re-signing former players, less so an ageing centre back, and the apprehension is warranted. On the non-footballing side of things I’d happily welcome Sol but you can only accommodate so many geriatrics in your backline.

@ Patrick - And this would apply to anyone questioning Wenger’s decisions. I’m sure you’ve never gone down this route. Pointless!

Haha, well all i'm saying is that it was a hell of alot of people on here questioning Wengers decision on that one, and so far he's been proved right. Just like when he bought Sagna and we were all wondering why when we had Eboue, he's seemed right in that decision aswell.

All i'm saying is just wait for Sol to play first, you never know, he may end up surprising you

goonerwarsh

Established Member

I'm just happy we've signed someone who is over 4'6

Welcome back Sol, apart from Song you're the only big ****er to play for Arsenal.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

Cruisio said:
All i'm saying is just wait for Sol to play first, you never know, he may end up surprisingly you
I think he'll surprise a lot of people too. And for all this talk about Campbell losing pace with age I reckon he's probably still a lot quicker than Senderos ever was.

Del Boy

Established Member

Did anyone else know he was engaged? Why is there always snide remarks about him being gay?

I'm not talking about on here but on other forums and comments on articles. Fair play to Sol though, most people wouldn't be able to deal with the abuse he takes. Cantona didn't manage it...

Timleaf

Established Member

General said:

The definition of pointless; speculating on a players fitness based on highlights from 45 minutes of reserve team footage.

Look, I've no problem with doubt or skepticism regarding this deal, but you seemed dismissive in the extreme, especially with regard to the bloke's fitness, which strikes me as something we know next to nothing about.

In fact, the only real basis we have for judging Sol at the moment would be from his performances last season which, by most accounts, were reasonably good.

General

Established Member

:lol: this is hilarious. Sorry mate, I'm not biting. I'm sure paddy doesn't need a spokesperson.

Timleaf

Established Member

General said:
:lol: this is hilarious. Sorry mate, I'm not biting. I'm sure paddy doesn't need a spokesperson.

Fair enough, assuming you're talking to me(Paddy?). I've lost interest anyway now.

:)

thegame24

Established Member

Del Boy said:
Did anyone else know he was engaged? Why is there always snide remarks about him being gay?

I'm not talking about on here but on other forums and comments on articles. Fair play to Sol though, most people wouldn't be able to deal with the abuse he takes. Cantona didn't manage it...

Mod edit: No homophobic language please.

Couldnt give a fuk what sol is though, just hope hes good in defence.

patrick42uk

Established Member

General, fitness is something thats very easily quantified and measured though. Its finite, its not like arguing against Wenger over the merits of playing Eboue at right wing.

patrick42uk

Established Member

If you are going to argue that Wenger is overlooking fitness issues and, as you said, made this decision for sentimental reasons, thats a little different but Wenger doesnt strike me as the type. He'll know what physical condition Sol is in, thoroughly. He'll also know what his base fitness is like. Obviously he'll be lacking match fitness. Expect Wenger to say something about it this Friday.

Sol was a premiership defender last year! A good one at that. Even at that age, it shouldnt be so unbelievable that he can still cut it at this level.

outlaw_member

Established Member

AnthonyG said:
ricky1985 said:
Loving that interview you posted Thommy. All sounds very promisng.
Sure, I guess it's better than: "To be honest I don't know what Wenger's thinking. I'm out of shape, have been lazy as feck, and I'm not really motivated to play at this or any level. But what the hell, I'll take it."

Training time is not the same as playing time. There's no choice but to give Wenger the benefit of the doubt at this stage, but I'm not the slightest bit interested in what Campbell has to say on the matter.

:lol:

I've never seen you be so cynical.

kamikaze80

Established Member

none of us know whether sol is as slow as some are suggesting.

but i think one thing has to be cleared up: analysis of this transaction has to be done without considering senderos. wenger had already decided to a get rid a while ago, but couldn't let him go last summer because of the djourou injury. so whether campbell is better than senderos is irrelevant. the issue is whether campbell is a reasonable short-term option until the end of the season.

Arsenal Quotes

I play on the right, Tony on the left and we'll deal with whoever comes along, big or small

Martin Keown
Top Bottom