• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal-The Making of a Modern Day Superclub

Alfonso

Established Member
Just started reading this the other day, quite a good read. Just finished reading about the 2007/2008 season and boy oh boy did it bring back some woeful memories, it was one of the most depressing things I have read! That really was such a heartbreaking season, the Brum game, the Liverpool exit in Europe, Eduardo's injury, etc. What makes it even harder to take is that we were so, so close to winning the league in 2008 (beating Brum and Boro would have done it).

Not to ponder, next up is the chapter covering the 2008/2009 season! (but at least we knew we were crap from day 1 that year).

To be fair it is an honest assessment of the club and of its transformation over the past 12 years, and not even Wenger is beyond criticism. The strength of the book is basically Fynn’s knowledge of the business of football with Whicher’s passion for the club.

Anyone else read it?

James

Established Member
Although it's not a DVD or Video game, it's probably more suited to this section.

It's a book i've been looking for in my local book shops, but not come across as of yet. I haven't got round to ordering it either.

Worth picking up then Alf?

Alfonso

Established Member
Definitely, mate. Good insight into the club and despite Fynn having close ties and easy access to the boss he remains objective which is a pleasant suprise. The only people that would not appreciate the book are the Arsenal press office.

Another Arsenal related item I want to buy is the Gooner Review of last season, as advertised on arseblog today-a real gooner's review of the season from the fans perspective rather than some pr bullshit.

James

Established Member
I'll probably order it later on tonight then in that case.

There's a screening of the Gooner Review in East Finchley (i think it is) next Tuesday.

Alfonso

Established Member
Alex Fynn answers some of Myles's questions from Wenger to general club finance issues, a lot of this kind of stuff is covered in the book:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.arsenalnewsreview.co.uk/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=1413&cntnt01origid=30&cntnt01returnid=42" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.arsenalnewsreview.co.uk/inde ... eturnid=42</a>

xcdude24

Established Member
Went and saw Alex Fynn speak at University College London tonight. He's a really good speaker, and I picked up a copy of his book(only five pounds, and he signed it for me too!). Definitely curious to read it.

Anzac

Established Member
I'm going to create a wish list.

I'll put this on it, but what other recommendations re books about the history of the club?

Anzac

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
Anzac. Have you read Brilliant Orange?

No mate - not familiar with it.
Most of the football books I see out here are all ManUre, Chavs or bloody Liverpoo.........

I've only just started to look off shore & started with 'Inverting The Pyramid'.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Anzac said:
I'm going to create a wish list.

I'll put this on it, but what other recommendations re books about the history of the club?
You can't go wrong with:

- Rebels for the Cause
- Highbury: The Story of Arsenal In N5

I want to get Glanville's new book (he did the Stadium History picture book):

The Real Arsenal: From Chapman to Wenger - The Unofficial Story

Anzac

Established Member
I managed to read a copy of an older book a long time ago - 'Arsenal From The Heart' that was written by the former club secretary - enjoyed it immensley.

Anzac

Established Member
Hey great news - the good wife has found a local supplier who has all of the above available online............woot woot!!!!!!!!

For those of us Down Under = take a look at Borders.com.au

So keep those title suggestions coming...........

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I went to a book signing in Angel when the hardback of this book came out. Got to meet Alex Fynn and Alan Smith, having previously written for the Gooner, I've already met Kev a couple of times.

It's an excellent book, realistic and honest and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Other Arsenal books? Said it before and I'll say it again, Bob Wilson's book Behind The Network is one of the best books I've ever read. Charlie George and Frank McLintock's books are also fascinating reads- especially as they both had to leave the Arsenal before they should have done.

Alex and Kevin wrote an earlier book together, The Glorious Game- that's worth a read coming, as it did, early in the last decade.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Read this a year and a half ago. It's the best book I've read about Arsenal to date. Alex Fynn is England's best football analyst by a mile, so it's always great to hear what he's got to say about us. He's also got unlimited insight in Arsenal's finances and organisation due to his previous job as a consult for us. Anyone who's ever wondered about spendings, the Highbury redevelopment project, youth policies and approaching takeovers should give it a read.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal are the most beautiful club in England. At Man City and Chelsea, they will never have that class and style.

Marco van Basten
Top Bottom