• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal v Man U CL 2nd Leg May 05, 2009, 19:45

kramazov

What's bloody new? do you want to know why we lost, and been average and dare i say a mediocre?

go back to the Transfer Threads. the reasons are there and the fate of our season was predicted there as well.

everything that we expected, predicted, called cynical, non believers and ignorant for happened exactly as we thought it would.

we lack talent and steel and there are too many passengers and injury prone players in the team especially the defence. simple clear problem with our team but our board and manager went all the way around the world searching for the wrong problem to resolve.

Anzac

Established Member
Mbaki Mutahaba said:
Our type of football hasnt changed for sometime. Its possession based football. It never looks very convincing when you are down 2-0 because it seems like there is no urgency. But it works very well when you have a lead.

Anything after the 13th minute is irrelevant.

When do you think it changed? IMO it was the time that Cesc took over as midfield general & Ade as main striker due to TH & RVP injuries, but then again I didn't see much of our play from the unbeaten season until last season.

And I don't agree that anything after 13 minutes is irrelevant in a 90 minute match. ManU were 0-2 down at Home v Spuds & scored 5 after the break.

hackajack

Established Member
Anzac said:
And I don't agree that anything after 13 minutes is irrelevant in a 90 minute match. ManU were 0-2 down at Home v Spuds & scored 5 after the break.
Well that left us needing 4... and we weren't playing Sp**s.

qs

Established Member
Biggus said:
Mbaki Mutahaba said:
In the space of 3 minutes we gave two very cheap goals. That was the end of it. No team would come out of that hole against a well organized ManU defense and midfield. I dont feel any shame to yesterday's loss.

Here we go the excuse culture again.......

Thats a criticism not an excuse. Jesus change the ****ing record you're embarassing yourself.

Anzac

Established Member
hackajack said:
Anzac said:
Well that left us needing 4... and we weren't playing Sp**s.

So does that mean that the effort & performance from the manager & players is meaningless as a result? Out not with a bang but a whimper? The end result of the match may have been rendered almost meaningless, but not the manner of it.

j'nuh

sabret00the said:
hesham said:
Sad for his family but sadly i'm hopeful it wakes up Wenger.

progman07 said:
hesham said:
Wenger can tell his family Arsenal is a young team, average age 21, and we lost because of the lack of sharpness... :(

RIP

Disgracefully, unbeleivably idiotic comments. You total cretins. This guy is a f*cking football manager. Its a sport. Trying to extend some sort of responsibility to him for some nutter killing himself is completely out of order. Idiots.

True Gooner

Established Member
j'nuh said:
Disgracefully, unbeleivably idiotic comments. You total cretins. This guy is a f*cking football manager. Its a sport. Trying to extend some sort of responsibility to him for some nutter killing himself is completely out of order. Idiots.

This.

ricky1985

Established Member
Gurgen said:
We collapsed mentally. There is a gulf in quality but it's not as big as yesterday's game made it out to be.

That's exactly it. They are a better team than us no doubt about it, but there is nowhere near as much in it as yesterday made it look. We absolutely went after the crazy 3 minutes that saw an unfortunate mistake followed up by a moment of brilliance. We were shell shocked from that moment on.

I still maintain that with two or three of the right players brought in, this team could be as good as any in the world. Whether or not Wenger is going to do that is another point entirely.

I don't think we were outcoached, I don't think we were outfought, I think we simply lack quality in key areas of the pitch, and experience in general. Nothing more, nothing less.

progman07

Established Member
j'nuh said:
sabret00the said:
hesham said:
Sad for his family but sadly i'm hopeful it wakes up Wenger.

progman07 said:
hesham said:
Wenger can tell his family Arsenal is a young team, average age 21, and we lost because of the lack of sharpness... :(

RIP

Are you still under the shock of losing the semi? Nobody thinks Wenger's responsible for anyone's death.

goonerwarsh

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
Gurgen said:
We collapsed mentally. There is a gulf in quality but it's not as big as yesterday's game made it out to be.

That's exactly it. They are a better team than us no doubt about it, but there is nowhere near as much in it as yesterday made it look. We absolutely went after the crazy 3 minutes that saw an unfortunate mistake followed up by a moment of brilliance. We were shell shocked from that moment on.

I still maintain that with two or three of the right players brought in, this team could be as good as any in the world. Whether or not Wenger is going to do that is another point entirely.

I don't think we were outcoached, I don't think we were outfought, I think we simply lack quality in key areas of the pitch, and experience in general. Nothing more, nothing less.

I couldn't agree more with you Ricky

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
Gurgen said:

I agree. The gulf in skill is not immense, certainly not insurmountable. But we're mentally fragile with no real leadership on the pitch. The first goal was a shock, freak slip out of the blue -but teams like United get up, get back on their feet and drive on - like they did in the Sp**s game. We seem very frail mentally.

It wasnt lack of ability cost us last season - it was a collapse in confidence. We were demoloishing teams until the Eduardo/Birmingham incident where we lost a player in horrific circumstances and concided a dubious penalty in the last minutes. It should have spuured the team on, but we just never got it going after that.

Even this year, on paper last night when seen both teams announced, first thought was - this is do-able! Then we concede early and proceed to act like headless chickens

j'nuh

progman07 said:
Are you still under the shock of losing the semi? Nobody thinks Wenger's responsible for anyone's death.

Why exactly were you proposing that he would have to offer the guys family excuses then?

Anzac

Established Member
Unfortunately the world is full of such sad & lost people and football is not exempt to their impact on any number of levels. From Shankley saying that football is more important than religion(???), to 'football tribalism' & hooligans, to fans killing member's of their national team following a loss, or kidnapping player's children for ransom, to nations starting a short lived war over the result of a WC qualifying game.

Sport will always be one of a number of such universal focuses that brings out the best & worst of people. But in no way should anyone associated with the game be implied as having any responsibility or accountability for any of these activities, unless they individually look to provoke or incense people like Di Canio's facist salute etc.

AW may be responsible for any number of things good or bad as manager, but this is definately NOT one of them.

General

Established Member
Nela said:
Oh come one. Everyone on here was begging for 4-4-2 and sharpended their knives for if Wenger dared play anything else with any other players than the ones that played. Fans need to learn their lesson just as much as Wenger.

Did Wenger really play 4-4-2 though?

We only started playing 4-4-2 after the disaster of going 2-0 down.

Captain

Established Member
and for the eight minutes or so we were playing 4-5-1 we looked to have more attacking verve and a higher tempo than we had at any other point in the tie.

hackajack

Established Member
We didn't play 442 at any stage (we never do). We played 4231 (as we always do) started with RvP wide and Nasri in the hole and swapped 'em.

Arsenal Quotes

The English codified the rules of football just as the French perfected wine. We don't often ask an English person to come over to make Bordeaux.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Monday, May 3

Marco Silva is pushing the Fulham board to spend as Arsenal prepare to listen to offers for Emile Smith Rowe, among other fringe players [Evening Standard]

New Fenerbache manager Jose Mourinho is determined to stop Arsenal from signing LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [TBR Football]

Latest posts

Top Bottom