• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ashley Cole: Another Side of the Story

Dougan17

This is a post made by me on my blog thing so it's really long and I apologize for that, you might want to print it out and read it when you get to the bathroom or something lol but here it is, I think all Arsenal fans should read it:

I know I'm going to catch a lot of heat in this thread but I really wonder how Arsenal fans can look so one-sidedly at this story. Now I'm not out to change minds about the boy as I think he enjoys his celebrity a bit too much, (but so does Freddie Ljungberg, I don't see anyone complaining when Freddie prances around in his underwear all over Sweden, why should Cole dressing up in suits ala GQ be any worse? )

But regardless, I think everyone needs to cut Cole a little slack. Yes, he's acted like a brat recently. No, he shouldn't have been at that meeting. Yes, he should realize that he's lucky to play for the club he loves for the wages he earns, but does that mean that he's nothing but a punk who just wants as much money out of the club as possible? no, of course not and Arsenal fans take it too far by trying to force a player out the door, especially if he does want to stay as he has said before.

But, whether or not you agree with it, there is another side to the story. Cole was earning, I believe, 22k a week when he went to the board and asked for a new offer. That was far below what he was worth as a player and, financially speaking, as an asset to the club. We all know this, the club knew it, and Cole knew it. Cole could've put in a transfer request right then, said he was looking for greener pastures in other leagues the way many Arsenal players have done in the past and, like many Arsenal players in the past, moved to a bigger club like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, etc. in order to pick up wages in the region of 100k a week that other world class LBs were earning. He didn't, he went to the board and tried to reach an offer and after a couple weeks, neither side was closer to compromising, we know this. Then he met with Chelsea and Peter Kenyon. This is where all the ire seems to be coming from, but had he met with a real madrid representative, would we have cared nearly as much? If he sent his agent to see what Chelsea were offering, would we have cared nearly as much? If he sent his agent to work out the entire deal and bring it back to Arsenal to hammer out a fee, would we have cared nearly as much? The answer I'm sure most of you will give is a resounding "yes." But if that's the case, why didn't the fact that Fabregas' agent met with Real Madrid two months ago and hammered out an entire deal for him arouse the anger of Arsenal supporters even an inkling? Because Cesc wasn't there? How is getting a free dinner out of the conversation any different, both authorized their agents to seek out other options, both wanted to see what other clubs were offering, and both decided Arsenal was the better option in the short term at least, even if they were going to take far less money.

Lets' look at the facts: 1) Arsenal are never going to offer cole what a club like chelsea or Real Madrid can in terms of wages. 2) Cole is still contracted to Arsenal FC. 3) Cole has yet to hand in a transfer request.

It's not like Cole can't force this move through. If he walks in and says "I want to leave, transfer me and I won't play for Arsenal any longer." and then says that in the press, which he easily could've said last summer, the move would get done. The club cashed in on Vieira, the club cashed in on Pires, the club would've cashed in on Cole.

This brings me to my last point: loyalty. This seems to be the buzzword a lot of Arsenal supporters are kicking around in regard to Ashley. They say he isn't loyal to Arsenal, that he wanted too much money, that he shouldn't have met with another team and broke the rules and wasn't committed to Arsenal. If all the players can't think about possibly leaving Arsenal while contracted to the club, then why aren't supporters freaking out about Fabregas allowing his agent to talk with Real Madrid? Why don't Arsenal supporters demand that Cesc fire his agent immediately for daring to do anything that might show Cesc isn't committed to the cause? If the fans are going to cry foul every time Cole shows the slightest hint of disloyalty, then they owe nothing less to every other player who considers moving to a Real Madrid, a Barcelona, or a Juventus.

However the thing that really gets me is why supporters believe that Cole should treat the club the way he should treat the fans, that he shouldn't treat it like a business. The thing the supporters need to understand is that the club will forever treat every player like a business asset. In the last decade or so we've witnessed Arsenal rise from a side that could challenge for the title to a side that should be expected to win the title. We've seen a side that has gone from UEFA cup qualification expected to Champions League finals they should've won. We've gone from an overachieving medium sized club to a big club with a big stadium and a bigger cheque book. Who is responsible for this golden era of Arsenal football? For my money, it's two parties: Wenger, and the players; and this has largely been done against what the board wanted. There have been numerous times when you could tell from the interviews people like Dein have given that they wanted Wenger to spend and he didn't, that they wanted to cash in on players but couldn't, that they wanted to run things a bit differently, but didn't because of Wenger. We've brought in and cultivated one of the greatest group of players to ever pull on the shirt from Bergkamp to Henry to Pires to Vieira to Overmars, to Petit, to Toure and Campbell, Adams, Wright, etc. etc. etc. It just goes on and on. For many of these players, what they've done for the club for outweighs anything the club, being the board, has done for them. The fans love them, support them, and that's all the players ask of us and us of them, but to ask the players to love the board as well and not treat it like a business is too much.

This is a club that pulled the trigger on its captain and arguably most important player in the first year he didn't invite speculation from Real Madrid, when he was still basically in the prime of his career because: they knew that they would have to either trade him then for 12m, wait a year and maybe only get 7 or 8m for him, let him go on a free, or sign him to a long-term contract into his mid-30s. They treated him like an asset instead of a player and a captain. This is a club that traded Robert Pires, one of their best midfielders of the premiership era, who just helped drive he club to the Champions League final, who struck up one of the best winger/striker partnerships the premiership has ever seen, because they didn't want to offer him just one extra year of security late in his career for fear he wouldn't play up to what his wages called for. This is a club that wouldn't offer Dennis Bergkamp, one of the greatest players that ever played for this club, the ideal professional who has given nothing but constant, remarkable service to the club and has never put a foot wrong in his career with the club, more than a one year deal because he was an aging player and he might not be worth the wages the next season.

And that's just recent history. I'm sorry, but Arsenal is a business, especially in regards to the board and the board treats it as such. The goals of the fans, the players, and the board are in line: to succeed on the field in the right way. But the reasons for these goals is far different, even if their results are the same. The board wants us to win champions leagues because it brings them more money, the players want to win for the sake of winning and we love them for it. To the fans, it means much more, to the players who pull on the shirt, it means much more as well and players patently take significant wagecuts to play at Arsenal, but Arsenal fans need to think about what they ask of the players when it comes to dealing with the board because the moment the players start treating their career the way the fans would and not the way the board does, they won't find themselves pulling on a captain's armband, they'll find themselves in Italy pulling on a white and black shirt, or in Spain pulling on a yellow one, or without club watching Arsenal on television.

I don't think Cole's a saint, but I don't think the board are a group of angels either. I think Cole wanted to get more money out of the club, but he wasn't looking for the 120k a week he could've gotten at Chelsea, he was looking for maybe 75-80k while the club wanted him on 60k. Now, there isn't really any way to ask this question honestly as many of us would easily take 60k a week to play for Arsenal were we able, but at the very least we owe it to Ashley and other players in their position to understand why they push for a little more money, especially since this isn't a job they can do for the rest of their lives, Cole's career could be over tomorrow and I doubt Ashley has much of a future as a writer. If you can't come that far, at least come far enough to give a stupid kid a second chance, maybe be a little quicker to doubt him or call for him to be dropped in the future, but as supporters of Arsenal we owe it to everyone who pulls on the shirt, especially someone who has given such great service to Arsenal and has yet to ask for the door despite it being open and there being a boatload of money on the other side, the right to be cheered for as long as they continue to play for the club. That's the Arsenal Way and that's what we owe all the players, even Cole.

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Interesting. Going to move it to the personal articles section for you mate.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
That's quitea good piece but there are factual errors which slants it.

Contract.

Arsenal instigated the negotiations and Cole came back with the 'reasonable' demand of £60k pw. Dein said ok.

Then, before he had signed the contract Cole's agent (Barnett) said that obviously Arsenal would have to pay his fees of £5k a week ON TOP of the £60k. Quite rightly Arsenal said that Cole could pay his agent out of his £60k and that's where it all fell down.

It was COLE who backed out of an agreed deal, not Arsenal (also it should be mentioned that it is also againt FIFA and FA rules).

Now the meeting - it was days before our biggest period of the season and the chavs deliberately leaked the story for impact. Also, at the time he was saying to Arsenal he was willing to re-negotiate.

There is NO defence for what he's done and the way he's chosen his agent over Arsenal.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Also - whilst the 'not a job for life so have to earn their reddies' may have carried some weight in the 70s, I don't think it has any relevence in anage where a years contract will set a player up for a life of luxury.

Army of Me

Established Member
nice read, but i almost bit through my lip reading it.

i'm not going to go through every point i don't agree with because i'd be here all morning, but a few things that really got me...

1) Arsenal are never going to offer cole what a club like chelsea or Real Madrid can in terms of wages. 2) Cole is still contracted to Arsenal FC. 3) Cole has yet to hand in a transfer request.

1) Completely untrue. We have more than enough money to spend on wages - apparently Henry's on close to £100k a week. Fact is we're not going to offer astronomical wages if he's not worth it. There is no way in hell ANY left back in the world is getting paid £100k a week - even the world class ones. Cole is lucky we offered him £60k imo.

2) This is true, not sure what your point is though.

3) As someone pointed out to me, there is such a thing as a loyalty bonus. It is sometimes written into a contract that if a player is sold by the club they can be compesated by the selling club. I believe this is the reason he hasn't handed in a transfer request.

But if that's the case, why didn't the fact that Fabregas' agent met with Real Madrid two months ago and hammered out an entire deal for him arouse the anger of Arsenal supporters even an inkling? Because Cesc wasn't there?

you've answered yourself there. There are rules that players who are under contract must abide by; agents don't have the same set of guidelines. It is illegal for a player to meet with another clubs representatives with a view to joining while under contract - it's quite simple. Fabregas didn't meet with anyone, and there is no proof to suggest he 'sent' his agent to hammer out a deal with Real.

Is it so hard to understand that while Arsenal are paying Ashley's wages we expect him to...

1 - First and foremost, respect the contract he currently has ffs!
2 - Show a little maturity when negotiating a new one
3 - Give 100% every match while negotiations are ongoing
4 - Not meet, in secret, with our then closest rivals?

Is that so ****ing difficult?

The stuff about Pires, Vieira and Bergkamp
3 of the worst examples you could've chosen tbh.

Vieira was, for at least 2 season, a shadow of the player he once was - this was not a business decision to sell him. He was quite obviously slacking.

Pires, for the same reason as above, was not going to improve on his lacklustre performances. He may have been able to pick out a decent pass every now and again, but big wowee - give him £75k p/w!

And Bergkamp, as legendary as he is, can't expect anything more than the 1 year deals he was offered (and he didn't, he never once complained about the deals he was offered).

If you can't come that far, at least come far enough to give a stupid kid a second chance
Are you taking the piss? Ashley stopped being a stupid kid when he signed a professional contract with Arsenal. He became an idiot of epic proportions when he met with Chelsea over £5k a week that his agent was after.

FFS he's 26 for crying out loud! Stupid kid? Give me a break. He knew exactly what he was doing and he deserves everything, absolutely EVERYTHING we throw at him.

By the way, there's a document going around from the FA that detailed the findings of the enquiry into the tapping up - I suggest you read it, these are the facts, it might change your mind somewhat.

If I had the link I'd give it to you, maybe Exiled has it.

Canuck

Established Member
Well, I think Pha2er touched on the points I was going to bring up...Cesc's agent, Vieira/Bergkamp/Pires, and Cole's choice of his agent over The Club.
Cole was an Arsenal Youth, I'm not saying that he 'owes' the club this and that, I'm just suggesting that a little respect is due.
Cole wanted more money, and honestly he could have had it. There was no doubt that he was a key member of the team, but business is business and the board wanted the best bang for their buck (to use an American term)

Cesc was a Barca youth who chose to take his opportunity with Arsenal, yet has never ever bad mouthed Barca and still has the utmost respect for the Club that started his footballing career.
Cole has gone from mistake to mistake and has been unremitting in his views that he is in the right and the Club has hung him out to dry...

I also make a distinction between Cole enjoying his "celebrity" a bit too much, and Freddie moonlighting as a model.

I do agree with some of your points in regards to the board treating things as a business, and that players are assets. In it's simplest terms, it's true. It's all business.
Though I like to think that the board members themselves are fans just like us regular joes, and they'd be savouring a Champions League Victory for more than the payoff.

I do appreciate you taking the time to layout your thoughts on the issue though.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
I've got to say reading it again I don't agree any more but regardless of that it is one of the best written pieces we've had in here for a while.

Dougan17

well on the vieira issue, vieira was, the season before his last, still considered one of the best, if not the best, in his position in the world. He was obviously going downhill and had a bad season, but it was a season where he was partnered almost continuously with fabregas. They're both offensive-minded. Vieira didn't become the player he was until Gilbrto was purchased in the first place, really, as that allowed him to be dominant physically, but not required to be on the defensive all the time. The fact is that as soon as Gilberto came back, Vieira looked much better for it, unfortunately I believe Gilberto didn't get back until march-ish and by then the title was well beyond our reach.

I understand that you can't expect Dennis or Pires to get anything but one-year contracts at their age. That was the point I was trying to make in that it doesn't make good business sense, regardless of who the player is, to give long term contracts to older players, no matter how much they have done for the club. But these are players who have given a great deal to the club, moreso than almost any other player in the side, and it still comes down to business with them, surely you have to admit that it must be business on the other side as well.

also, Roberto Carlos was on a contract that neared 100k a week with his shirt bonuses factored in at Real Madrid. Arsenal are a big club with lots of money, but they're not going to give the 100k a week type waqe structures to a player that is any less than an Henry, (remember that was the first contract that Arsenal breached the 100k a week mark), whereas a club like Real Madrid or Chelsea can give that to 4 or 5 players at a time.

I don't expect anyone to like Cole after this and I don't think he should ever really be forgiven for what he's done and said to the club and the fans, but at worst for me that means that he shouldn't ever be captain. If he wants the door, give it to him, send him to Qatar for all I care, but as long as he's willing to play his ass off while wearing an Arsenal shirt I won't force him out the door.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
But mate, playing his arse of is the least we should expect from any player. There's no way any player is going to get the slightest bit of gratitude from me for putting in 100%.

Hi all, I would just like to know all your opinions on ash now that all the hype has died down. Personally i think he was mislead by his agent, and that caused the move. Apparently I have been told by Mr brady, Im his friend, we used to live in the same flat in palmers green. He told me that ashley said he would like 60,000 a week, and the board were more than happy for that, although his agent then told the board that, he should be played 65,000 a week, so that 5,000 of that will cover his expenses as barnett was the one who wanted the extra 5,000. Barnett then mislead cole into thinking that the board were saying no. Ashely cole, regrets it coming to that but relations with the board broke down, although wenger was backing him, and was trying to stop the deal going through to chelsea, and put him into the reserves squad to play, beofore the transfer widow ended. Cole has said in private that he will return to Arsenal after he is 30 and i think this players career with the club, has been ruined stupidly by the board( dein, hillwood), and his agent. We all know deep down, that we are a bit upset for him to leave, come on, he was at the club since he was 9, used to go to matches with him mum, and made a breakthrough himself. Cole made himself, Arsenal just gave him the oppurtunity. I suggest you buy his book and give it a read, as he does not slate the players, he just says that rvp spoke out at training cause freddie does not talk to him. In his book he talks about, how he wanted to win more trophies and become captain but that dream was ruined. I think will should really leave him alone, and think about what he did to us, and he performed. 90th minute against dynamo kiev, he popped up with that goal. All those hard challenges, just remember. I would like to know your real opinions and calling him a c**t isnt going to help, he was our only breakthrough from the academy recently, we could say to Sp**s fans, actually we do have an england player, the best left back in the world.

THERE'S ONLY ONE ASHLEY COLE
ONE ASHLEY COLE.

HE WILL BE BACK, BELIEVE ME. A LFIE LONG LOVE AFFAIR RUINED BY STUPID MOMENTS OF STUPITY.

ASHELY COLE- GOONER THROUGH AND THROUGH....WE WILL REMEMBER YOU..ASH..AND ALL YOU FANS THAT CALL HIM A ****, MAYBE YOU SHOULD LOOK AT YOURSELF.

cubbz_th14

NORTHLONDONGOONER1 please don't type in caps lock, we understand your passion for the clit but refrain from typing like that

oh and by the way, ashely cole is a ****

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I agreed Ashley was misled by his agent and consoullers, even he had his own take in this whole sage. Some footballers live in a cotton wrapped world and stay quite detached from the reality. I watched a tv programme saying how Gazza only opened personal letters after his retirement, as this was done by his personal asistant in his career. That jsut summed up how some footballers live really, especially with the top Englsih footballers.

I was quite surprised when I read a paragraph in Gerrard's autogiography regarding his reaction when watching a Liverpool fan buring his shirt because Steve was leaving. Steve cried and said the club don't want him anymore and allowed the fan to bur the shirt. Bloody hell this is the weirdest logic I have ever read from a top professional.

Back to Ash, I just can't care him any less. He has prove himself as a rent boy and that image will stay in fans' minds.

Invincibles

The fool slated us in his book, again trying to Cash in on what happened!! We do not needs players that need drinking buddies to go out on the lash with!!

He will be right at home at Chelsea, i'm sure Terry & Lampard are over the moon to get another drinking buddy!!

The guy is dead in my eyes!!

Go0oner

NORTHLONDONGOONER1 said:
THERE'S ONLY ONE ASHLEY COLE
ONE ASHLEY COLE.

HE WILL BE BACK, BELIEVE ME. A LFIE LONG LOVE AFFAIR RUINED BY STUPID MOMENTS OF STUPITY.

ASHELY COLE- GOONER THROUGH AND THROUGH....WE WILL REMEMBER YOU..ASH..AND ALL YOU FANS THAT CALL HIM A c**t, MAYBE YOU SHOULD LOOK AT YOURSELF.

:shock:

Are you a gooner by any chance? :|

Lev

Give Ashley a second chance? are you crazy

HE will be back? hopefully he will be, so he can suffer our abuse week in week out.

Arsenal Quotes

When I first came to Arsenal, I realised the back four were all university graduates in the art of defending. As for Tony Adams, I consider him to be a doctor of defence. He is simply outstanding.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom