• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bring in the Brits

raymond

The Mini said:
Ever since Wenger has joined Arsenal the media has decided that we should play in the French League because we have so many French players, so possibly when we look in the transfer list this January we should consider bringing in some Bristish Blood

You're letting the Sun select our team?

Parker or Hargreaves might be worth signing. Can't think of anyone else...

JGooner

The only English players who could get in to our team are John Terry and maybe Scott Parker and Kieron Dyer.

Scholes, Lampard, and Gerrard are all a class above Gilberto, Edu or Parlour, and would walk into our midfield with ease. If you were AFC manager and were offered one of these guys, I cannot believe that you would say "Scholes? No thanks. Who needs him when you've got Gilberto!".

Owen and Rooney are a class above any of our partners for Henry. I would personally take Smith and Defoe over any of them too, but I'm more willing to accept disagreement on this.

It is true that english players are overpriced, but there is no major problem with quality. England are so underrated by their own country it is unreal. We've got more quality centre backs than almost any other country - Terry, Campbell, Woodgate, Ferdinand, Brown, Southgate. In midfield, we have three world class players (Beckham, Scholes, Gerrard) and many more who are very high quality, like Lampard and Cole. Potentially, we have two world class strikers (Owen and Rooney), which - contrary to the lazy belief that France have ten million world class strikers - is no fewer than France (Henry and Trezeguet - Anelka doesn't count as he doesn't play for the national side. If you count him, England can count Shearer). It isn't luck that England have lost only one competitive game in three years or whatever it is (and even that game was without Gerrard and only a half-fit Beckham).

And another thing. People keep bleating about our supposed left-sided problem as if we are the only major footballing nation to have a clear weak link. Have you seen Italy's left-sided problem?! They lack both a natural left winger AND a natural left back, which is why they are begging Maldini to come back. And yet the same people who disparage England cite Italy as an example of a world class team! The same with Spain - how many defenders of calibre do they have? Puyol. Helguera, perhaps. Who else? Hierro is gone, and was never that good at the back. The Real Madrid youngsters like Pavon are crap.

I'm not suggesting that England have a better squad of players than France (who they still massively outperformed at the last world cup) or Holland (ditto, cos they weren't even there) but you can easily make a claim for them being the joint third best international squad, alongside Italy. You'd have to be a mug to rule them out for Euro 2004 or World Cup 2006 - I think they will win one of them.

Adam

Established Member
Smith/Defoe over DB10. :shock:

Now i've seen it all!

You may list individually better players than Gilberto/Edu and Parlour. But when i have seen our players up against Scholes, Lampard and Gerrard - Parlour and Edu have usually been more dominant. Anfield 01/02 for Parlour vs Gerrard, and Edu the last couple of times vs Lampard and Scholes last season. And of course Edu again recently at Anfield.

They aren't entirely a class above.

JazzG

Established Member
What a ludicrous statement to make. Beckham, Scholes, Gerrad, Owen and Rooney are no way world class. How the hell is Rooney world class, thats like me saying Djibril Cisse is world class :shock: And Owen world class? Find me one season where he has scored more than 20 league goals. How the hell can he be world class when he can't get 20 league goals a season?

Scholes on his club form might be world class but I judge a player on his club and country form.

Beckham is not as good as his PR make it out. He is however very good but definitely not world class.

Maybe the way I judge a world class player is different to you. I think this world class tag is thrown around way too easily. Zidane, Vieira, Keane, Henry, Raul, Ronaldo, DvN these players are world class not people like Gerrad or Owen.

Lampard is a good player but Joe Cole high quality???? You must be joking, he does know quite a few tricks but thats about it. Instead of playing the obvious pass he will try the hard one, instead of clearing his lines he will try something fancy and he has got caught so many times. I remember last season for the england U21 all he was doing was tricks, not harming the other team just showing off.

England do have a good set of CBs. Too bad they have no idea how to play together (apart from rio+sol). Terry is someone who I rate, however he is prone to the odd clanger these days and his club form has been very over-rated. The reason chelsea's defense looks so good is they have a superb player in Makelele shielding them.

Italy are not a world class team, nor are Spain.

The only reason France ****ed up in the WC was because of their manager. He played Henry on the wing and played idiots like Desailly and Leboeuf. He put Wiltord and Trez upfront, WTF? He based his whole team around Zidane and when he got injured he was ****ing clueless as to what he could do. If you wanna compare England's and France's records lets look at France's record from WC98 upto now, now tell me who has massively outperformed who. I don't like the french national team tbh, I don't like them as they have some arrogent players. But the only reason they interest me is because they have some arsenal players and I always want our players to do well domestically and do well for their national side.

England won't win jack **** imo, you have been saying that for the past 37 years. Don't get me wrong I AM NOT saying England are a bad team, they are well over-rated by their own fans and JGooner's posts show this.

I'm not trying to pick apart your post or trying to offend you but I disagree with nearly all of your post.

Mark

Established Member
in my opinion the only english players from the rest of the premiership who could get into our team are...

Lampard, Gerrard, Parker, maybe Rooney.

I don't really rate Scholes as for a midfielder he is poor at making challenges and he does not have enough goals for England. It doesn't matter what nationality our players are, but the fact is there isn't really that much english talent out there, in my opinion anyway.

Andrew

Rooney and Owen "a class above" Bergkamp? No one is a class above Bergkamp... Rooney and Owen can only dream of having a career like his. And Smith and Defoe don't even deserve to walk in Bergkamp's shadow... they will never be half as good as Bergkamp.

nnn

Lampard is a decent midfielder, but is made to look good by playing with Ukelele, Duff et all. The last few seasons he has looked out of his depth, and individually he is only good enough for a mid-table side. He would get over run in the Bolton midfield.

Parlour could boss any midfield in the Premiership, and has done for years. He is a proven performer who has done the buissness at every level.

Gerrard would probably make it into our midfield, as would Parker, perhaps.

Scholes could play the Bergkamp role, but couldnt play in a midfield with both Ljunberg and Pires.

Keane would make our team, as would Silvestre, Ferdinand, Rv9.5.

I would'nt trade Edu for Joe Cole. Nor Smith or Defoe for Bergkamp, hes too valuable off the bench at the very least.

If Paul Robinson was called Jean-Pierre Milosevic he would be'd be playing in Div 1.

Real Madrid Beckham is World Class. Plc verson is'nt.

Rooney should turn out good.

Owen was ruined by playing too many games.

Vassell does well internationally.

Neville's, Bridge, Johnson, Heskey are mid table players, weak internation links.

Jasper

The last time we considered British was we brought in a player named "Francis Jeffers"

I must remind you he did cost us a lot of money and we did pick him over many other nationals.

But I do think we are way too French. We need some Dutch!

The Mini

JazzG said:
thats like me saying Djibril Cisse is world class :shock:

You'd be surprised, he will be. Him and Henry are like Toast and Jam, plain amazing

tony

.D:Nevill g, Sol, rio, Terry, Ash- compare to:

Thuram, Sagnol, Silvestre, Gallas, , Boumsong, Desailly, Mexes, Christanval, Lizarazu. Candela- there even more very good players

France's better..., may- be even, but more covered,

MF: Becks, Gerrard, Lumpard, Cole, Butthead, Scholes, Dyer, Hargreaves- compare to:

Bob, Paddy, Makelele, Dacourt, Zidane, Rothen, Carrière, Benoît Pedretti( concidered as very good prospect), Petit, Dabo, Giuly, may-be even L. Robert ( who IMHO just could walk into England left wing, if he haven't been french).

No ****ing comments

F: Owen, Heskey, Rooney, Vassel, Smith, Beattie compare to:

Titi , Treze, Cisse, Sylvia, Kapo, Govou,Marlet, hell, even Saha have scored previous season more goals in prem than any English striker

What have England compared to Titi- Treze partnership? The fact is Franny Jeffers! have been in Englad A-squad, but Aliadiere haven't been yet even in France U-21 team.

Every department France have more quality and/or more backup.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
Youi have to see the division 1 games to really see how good we got it. the 'English' game is boring.

There is no passing the ball around .. it's all headers and 'hoofing it' around the pitch, it's like table football without the beers.

I am so glad that Wenger and even Ranieri have brought a whole new dimension to the game. Bloody hell remember Arsenal last Autumn? That was the finest football ever played in the PL. Good grief if that pisses off the Sun and the Star big deal.

Vive le France, Cote D'ivoire and Senegal too. Vive L'anglettere for Cole, Keown, Campbell and Parlour too.

There are so many more great players abroad, even Man U thta great bastion of dull English players is bringing in more and more foreigners.

England as 'England' is dead, long live the new multi cultural England.

r_blair2

Look at Jeffers. Totally ****e. Doesn't matter what nationality the player is, its based on talent. The french have the best players in the world and if arsenal have some of them im not complaining

goonerdownunder

r_blair2 said:
Look at Jeffers. Totally ****e. Doesn't matter what nationality the player is, its based on talent. The french have the best players in the world and if arsenal have some of them im not complaining

i very much agree (and i have always hated jeffers :evil: )

zerofeel

IF only some of the so-called highly rated british players are as good as Toure or Clichy then Wenger would have swoop down on them like an eagle in an instant...me thinks he did experiment buying british but look at Jeffers and Richard Wright???They hardly featured in the 1st team.Big on the expenditure but small in contribution...it is wise of Wenger not to bow down to the media frenzy n biasness for fielding mostly his countrymen in the 1st 11. ;D eat our dust the biased media should... :evil:

SuperBob

Scholes is the best English player at the moment.. He could walk in too Arsenal easy, I also rate him as the only English player that is world class.

SuperBob

He just scored a double for Aston Villa as well, class player! Our French boys rate him as the best English player also.

JazzG

Established Member
AndrewPires said:
Scholes is the best English player at the moment.. He could walk in too Arsenal easy, I also rate him as the only English player that is world class.

He is world class doe his club but not for his country.

Arsenal Quotes

It is well known the referees are protected very well like the lions in the zoo so we have to live with their decisions

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom