• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bukayo Saka: Saka The Net

Is Saka a world class player?

• Yes definitely

Votes: 54 37.5%
  • Close, he’ll get there soon

Votes: 71 49.3%
  • No no at all

Votes: 19 13.2%

• Total voters

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
We desperately need another winger to ease the burden, but, even if we do, do you trust Arteta to rotate? Even today, Jesus was brought on too late and it was forced upon him.

Olise would be great as it gives us the option of using a left footed winger on the left, whether its him or Saka.
He is our star, if he is fit he plays, his alternative should be a kid from the club.

Thats how you build a team.

I am much more worried about our left winger situation.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
So you call Saka world class but not Sanchez?

Ffs

Personally I think Saka is a more rounded player and it's open for debate if he's a better player as it stands. Quite different players though.

But I'm judging Sanchez on his prime years, Saka is 22. It's not a fair comparison.

Could you imagine Arteta's reaction if Sanchez started doing that pointless individual press in this side? Arteta would blow a gasket 🤣

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Anyway I rated Sanchez, very good player in a fairly poor team by Arsenals standards.

But c'mon when you've seen Thierry Henry, DB10 etc you're not going to get all that worked up over him.

Maybe WC for a shortish spell but generally a level under that.

fute

A lot of people won't hesitate to say Ødegaard is world class (I've seen 'generational' used many times - yes, generational as Ronaldinho/Benzema) but readily say Saka isn't. The 'top x in his position' methodology kind of proves it is a subjective stance.

Saka's peers are Salah & Rodrygo off the right and Vinicius and Mbappe as far all wingers go.
I think Saka is harder to replace because at this point in time he cannot be upgraded on as far as right wingers go.

Ødegaard has KdB, Bellingham, Foden, Musiala, Bernardo, Bruno and perhaps now Wirtz for company. Most of those are at least like for like barring Wirtz for now and 3 of those named are undeniably operating at a higher level right now.

Saka being world class is far less contenious than Ødegaard being world class in my mind. Saka is definitely harder to replace.

World class is dependent on your peers?

Can you be a better player than your 'world class' teammate, but not world class due to other elite players at your position?

Bucephalus

Can you be a better player than your 'world class' teammate, but not world class due to other elite players at your position?
I would say that's exactly right. If you're an Olympic 100m finalist, you're a world class sprinter, even if it's a down year and no one is even close to Usain Bolt's time. If you're only a semi-finalist in the 400m, you're not world class, even if you're historically fast but there just happens to be a generational collection of talent at the distance.

outlawz

the problem with Alexis was that he was a one man show.. not someone who could fit in… the number of times he pressed when rest of the team did something else was hard to take.. Saka is a very reliable attacker in this Arsenal team… it’s best… and by the time he is done no one will even compare Saka to Alexis
He would fit right into this team because he would be backed up by everyone.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

He is our star, if he is fit he plays, his alternative should be a kid from the club.

Thats how you build a team.

I am much more worried about our left winger situation.

Most of us agree, but will Arteta play a kid to rest Saka?

That's why the logic then goes to get someone comparable that Arteta will feel comfortable switching with but that dynamic regardless of how it works out is temporary.

jaystewart

Being the best of a bad bunch means your best in class, and it means something... but I agree with your suggestion and I personally don't use the top x in position way of looking for things.

I am looking for players who are consistently decisive in games of the highest level i.e highest level opponents and highest pressure games/situations.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
So he has comparable defensive numbers to one of the best fullbacks in the PL while also having elite attacking output.

Freak.
We're so lucky to have him and he's not even close to his prime. He doesn't have the personality to be a celebrity of the game so he's going to be underestimated for his entire career, I think, unless he has some big moment for England. I think being underdogs suits us so he's just fine.

Arsenal Quotes

When you give success to stupid people, it makes them more stupid sometimes and not more intelligent.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Thursday, May 23

Arsenal have agreed to part ways with midfielder Sambi Lokonga following talks with the player [Evening Standard]

Arsenal are likely to be priced out of a move for Sporting Lisbon’s £86m striker Viktor Gyokeres [Football Insider]

Arsenal are considering a move for Feyenoord GK Justin Bijlow as a replacement for Aaron Ramsdale [Sam Dean - The Telegraph]

Newcastle manager Eddie Howe is keen to reunite with Ramsdale if the club can make an acceptable offer [Sam Dean - The Telegraph]

Ajax LB Jorrel Hato remains the club’s top defensive target [Charles Watts]

Latest posts

Top Bottom