• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Calum Chambers: Here or Where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
At least you put your hand up, we all make mistakes. If most fans could do the same, rather then holding on to their pride and continuing to slam a player just because they don't want to admit they got it wrong, the football community would be a better place.
Well go on then, John Wick, let’s hear you start fessing up. We’ll start with the one about Messi being overrated and then we’ll move on to the Antonio Valencia being better than peak Bale as a winger, thing...

We’ll finish off with a lovely hymn—maybe ‘Abide With Me’? :p

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Chambers has a future with us. He needs to be part of a better defence and that will boost his confidence. Last night he was the only one who stood up and stood out in that defence. More games will make him better.

I think Mustafi is likely to go and Mertesacker (remember him?) retires. With Kos effectively out for the foreseeable future that means promoting the little Greek boy, keeping Chambers and Holding and buying the best possible CB we can afford. In that set-up Chambers and Panos are fighting for the no. 2 spot and IF the new CB is a speed merchant potentially both in a back three.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Chambers has a future with us. He needs to be part of a better defence and that will boost his confidence. Last night he was the only one who stood up and stood out in that defence. More games will make him better.

I think Mustafi is likely to go and Mertesacker (remember him?) retires. With Kos effectively out for the foreseeable future that means promoting the little Greek boy, keeping Chambers and Holding and buying the best possible CB we can afford. In that set-up Chambers and Panos are fighting for the no. 2 spot and IF the new CB is a speed merchant potentially both in a back three.

Yep, that's the way we need to go. Mavro's sudden elevation and Chambers assured displays indicate we only need one new top top CB. For some time I felt we needed 2 but would never get them.

ptrcopp

Always thought Chambers could become really good for us.
He has more positional awareness as his strength.
But he is slow, will need a quick partner.
Is the Greek guy fast ?

I don’t understand why his lack of pace always comes up as an issue. Firstly, he isn’t that slow, and As was said on here several times, some of the best CBs could never match a FW for pace. I think Merte proved that positioning and awareness is much more reliable that pace.
And I think that having too many pace CBs is actually what has hampered us over the years - a reliance on recovery pace and not on defensive positioning when in attack

Longy

Just pointing out a fact mate.
Speed in the head is a better trait.
I like Chambers.
Well just need his partner with leg speed

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
All English users here should be vouching for a Chambers-Holding CB pairing from next season.

CBs work in partnerships and mostly National teams with supplier clubs do well Internationally. England could possibly benefit from an Arsenal CB pairing.

Aevi

Hale End FC
All English users here should be vouching for a Chambers-Holding CB pairing from next season.

CBs work in partnerships and mostly National teams with supplier clubs do well Internationally. England could possibly benefit from an Arsenal CB pairing.
I'd go with Dunk-Chambers by that logic. At first glance it looks like poverty (as many here would say) because they aren't big names, but I reckon they'd be a very capable duo.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Yep, that's the way we need to go. Mavro's sudden elevation and Chambers assured displays indicate we only need one new top top CB. For some time I felt we needed 2 but would never get them.
No. No. No. This is exactly the kind of mentality that has screwed us for years. A young player puts in a couple of decent performances and then we consider it problem solved. They then regress or revert to their normal inconsistent level and we are left short of quality. Lather, rinse, repeat. For once I would like to see us stop doing that and show a ruthless streak. Bring in 2 absolutely top CBs and then challenge the kids to supplant them. If they can't do that then they can either be bench options or binned. That's what a winning culture is.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
No. No. No. This is exactly the kind of mentality that has screwed us for years. A young player puts in a couple of decent performances and then we consider it problem solved. They then regress or revert to their normal inconsistent level and we are left short of quality. Lather, rinse, repeat. For once I would like to see us stop doing that and show a ruthless streak. Bring in 2 absolutely top CBs and then challenge the kids to supplant them. If they can't do that then they can either be bench options or binned. That's what a winning culture is.
On the contrary. The problem is that when a young player has put in a couple of decent performances he's been dropped to make way for an underperforming senior player.

Being realistic, there is no way the new manager is going to spend his limited funds on two centre-backs. Not even if Mustafi goes.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
Well go on then, John Wick, let’s hear you start fessing up. We’ll start with the one about Messi being overrated and then we’ll move on to the Antonio Valencia being better than peak Bale as a winger, thing...

We’ll finish off with a lovely hymn—maybe ‘Abide With Me’? :p

Woahhh I'm happy to fess up to anything, if I wasn't I'd have started a new account 8 years ago and started fresh.

However peak Bale? You've shifted the goalposts there because what seemed ridiculous when I said it, Valencia being fitter and more efficient, doesn't seem so ridiculous now. I've said some woeful things over the years, particularly when I was younger, but that is one I still stand behind. I'd take Valencia over Bale.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
I'd go with Dunk-Chambers by that logic. At first glance it looks like poverty (as many here would say) because they aren't big names, but I reckon they'd be a very capable duo.

Don't get carried away with English defenders from promoted or lower Premier League clubs like the media do. I watch Boro very closely last season, in fact it was a little obsessive and Ben Gibson was a yards behind Calum Chambers yet the media pumped up Gibson something crazy. At Burnley, Ben Mee was a far superior defender than Michael Keane, yet the media made Keane out to be the second coming and Mee didn't get a mention.

I have no doubt Dunk is a decent defender, but from all the football I've watched this season and although the media might say otherwise, Harry Maguire or Jamaal Lascelles look like the two most competent but even then it's hard to judge.

It wasn't too long ago that people on here were putting holes in walls because we didn't make a move for Garry Cahill when he left Bolton.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Don't get carried away with English defenders from promoted or lower Premier League clubs like the media do. I watch Boro very closely last season, in fact it was a little obsessive and Ben Gibson was a yards behind Calum Chambers yet the media pumped up Gibson something crazy. At Burnley, Ben Mee was a far superior defender than Michael Keane, yet the media made Keane out to be the second coming and Mee didn't get a mention.

I have no doubt Dunk is a decent defender, but from all the football I've watched this season and although the media might say otherwise, Harry Maguire or Jamaal Lascelles look like the two most competent but even then it's hard to judge.

It wasn't too long ago that people on here were putting holes in walls because we didn't make a move for Garry Cahill when he left Bolton.
Cahill's no world-beater but he would probably have done better than Mustafi.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Woahhh I'm happy to fess up to anything, if I wasn't I'd have started a new account 8 years ago and started fresh.

However peak Bale? You've shifted the goalposts there because what seemed ridiculous when I said it, Valencia being fitter and more efficient, doesn't seem so ridiculous now. I've said some woeful things over the years, particularly when I was younger, but that is one I still stand behind. I'd take Valencia over Bale.

How is Valencia more efficient than Bale ffs, he was shunted to RB years ago. All he gives you is effort.

Do we really need to list what Bale’s done in the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

If you eat caviar everyday, it's difficult to return to sausages

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom