• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Calum Chambers (Out)

TornadoTed

Established Member
I like Chambers and would prefer Mustafi and Holding shipped out first.

Sokratis and Benati/Pavard first choice. Chambers, Kos and Mavo as backup looks a good blend of youth, experience and potential to me.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

People on this forum are quite trigger happy & its a blessing none of them has any part to do with the club.

Chambers has always performed when called upon & even his worst outings with the team (that time he was rinsed by Montero or when the entire defense went to **** during the season opener with Liverpool a couple seasons ago) were a byproduct of a formation that negated his strengths or no formation whatsoever.

Hopefully Emery has much more sense & gives him a chance in both pre-season & the season proper to show he has what it takes to be relied on.

All this giddyness about Soyuncu or however his name is spelt is quite baffling, a number of matches I've seen for Freiburg & Turkish national team show him to be a functionally average CB, not much better than Chambers & costing twice as much.

Lets see if the existing personnel in defence can be rehabilitated by teaching to defend before we bin them & I'm including that walking **** up Mustafi in this.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
I think people just don't rate him very highly, I don't see the point in hoping he becomes a starter for a title winning team when he has already shown that he doesn't have that in him. The longer we keep him, the lower his value for other teams gets.

Sometimes you have to be more opportunistic and move players on a little earlier or you end up with another Walcott situation.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
He was always going to be up against it when a new manager & recruitment team came in.

On paper he is undersized & lightweight for the position.

His tape is littered with mistakes & shows no real tangible qualities... He is not fast, not great position wise or aggressive.

If a 15-20m offer is on the table must be tempting. Also slightly telling the level of clubs that come in for him each window.

Mraven

Yes it does, because you are arguing that he must be quality because there is a 30m price tag on him, which is a ridiculous argument.

The grass is always greener during the transfer window. Spending 10-15millions replacing homegrown Chambers with some less developed player from a lower league does not make sense.

FEH

People on this forum are quite trigger happy & its a blessing none of them has any part to do with the club.

Chambers has always performed when called upon

Hes been with Arsenal since 2014 and has made barely any contribution at all. Letting him leave as there is scope for improvement is not trigger happy at all, it is decisive and removes emotion from the equation. I would say the mindset of constantly giving players chances in a hope they might one day come good is half of the reason Arsenal are a mess just now. Thankfully that weak mindset is being weeded out of the club as we speak and guys like Theo, Ox etc have been papped out as part of that.

Chambers was a RB, was poor in that position for us, Wenger liked him as hes a nice guy so tried converting him into a CB where he was OK overall.

If we sell Mustafi and Holding goes out on loan then defo keep Chambers as backup. But that would probably be the only way for him to stay here based on performance and contribution. I do agree however that Soyuncu doesn't look like the answer. I think if Chambers was to be sold it needs to be someone like Benatia who can immediately improve us. Only Kos and Sokratis are ahead of Chambers in the pecking order for CB IMO but there are no links to sell Mustafi so Calum might have to go.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Yes it does, because you are arguing that he must be quality because there is a 30m price tag on him, which is a ridiculous argument.

Nope not at all, i'm trusting Sven's judgement on young players and he wouldn't bring in a 22 year old kid for £25M+ if he didn't think he was good enough.

Think about it.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Ideal situation would see mustafi heading out for £25m+ with Benatia coming in, holding out on loan and chambers/Mav as backup. Unfortunately I doubt there's many teams out there willing to pay what the club will want for Mustafi so chambers will be the easy sacrifice if another CB is signed.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Ideal situation would see mustafi heading out for £25m+ with Benatia coming in, holding out on loan and chambers/Mav as backup. Unfortunately I doubt there's many teams out there willing to pay what the club will want for Mustafi so chambers will be the easy sacrifice if another CB is signed.

Yeah fab lets bring in a seriously injury prone CB and have the inadequate Chambers as backup.

Literally makes no sense at all, 0 ambition. In no world are we getting £25M+ for Mustafi.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Nope not at all, i'm trusting Sven's judgement on young players and he wouldn't bring in a 22 year old kid for £25M+ if he didn't think he was good enough.

Think about it.

"I trust Sven's judgement (to adequately value and rate a player and therefore assume this guy is the real deal)"

is a different argument from:

"He is the real deal because he is priced at 30m+"

I can get behind the first (as long as I don't have my own judgement about the player, as is the case with Soyuncu, and Sven continues to deliver).

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
"I trust Sven's judgement (to adequately value and rate a player and therefore assume this guy is the real deal)"

is a different argument from:

"He is the real deal because he is priced at 30m+"

I can get behind the first (as long as I don't have my own judgement about the player, as is the case with Soyuncu, and Sven continues to deliver).

I didn't quite say that. I said if we're looking at spending £30M+ on him then its likely that he's the real deal. Because of Sven. I wouldn't have said that if we were still under a Wenger regime...

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Hes been with Arsenal since 2014 and has made barely any contribution at all. Letting him leave as there is scope for improvement is not trigger happy at all, it is decisive and removes emotion from the equation. I would say the mindset of constantly giving players chances in a hope they might one day come good is half of the reason Arsenal are a mess just now. Thankfully that weak mindset is being weeded out of the club as we speak and guys like Theo, Ox etc have been papped out as part of that.

Chambers was a RB, was poor in that position for us, Wenger liked him as hes a nice guy so tried converting him into a CB where he was OK overall.

If we sell Mustafi and Holding goes out on loan then defo keep Chambers as backup. But that would probably be the only way for him to stay here based on performance and contribution. I do agree however that Soyuncu doesn't look like the answer. I think if Chambers was to be sold it needs to be someone like Benatia who can immediately improve us. Only Kos and Sokratis are ahead of Chambers in the pecking order for CB IMO but there are no links to sell Mustafi so Calum might have to go.

Well stated.

I'd be all for Benatia, the man's a warrior & I'm definitely looking to see how he leads Morroco from the back on Friday.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I read it differently initially, but I get it now.

There is no reason so far not to have faith in Sven, so I'll be expecting a lot from whichever promising CB he signs.

I'd be on the side of those who say they'd rather get rid of Mustafi first though, but I get the 'opportunistic' argument if you get the chance to sell a decent player for good money.

How would the selling of Chambers affect our HG requirement in the squad if we replace him with a foreign talent? Something to keep in mind perhaps?

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent

There is no reason so far not to have faith in Sven, so I'll be expecting a lot from whichever promising CB he signs.

I'd be on the side of those who say they'd rather get rid of Mustafi first though, but I get the 'opportunistic' argument if you get the chance to sell a decent player for good money.

How would the selling of Chambers affect our HG requirement in the squad if we replace him with a foreign talent? Something to keep in mind perhaps?

Current homegrown players:

Macey
Martinez?
Bellerin
Holding
Chambers
Ramsey
Wilshere
AMN
Welbeck
Nelson could be included in the 8 if need be
Iwobi

Not sure if I'm missing anyone there?

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

Doesn't do anything, we could sell all of our HG players bar two if we wanted and have a squad of 19 players for the season (17 NHG 2HG).

I also don't want Mustafi at the club. I don't want Mustafi, Holding or Chambers in fact. But while Mustafi's stock is very low we may as well try and let Emery work with the guy. Holding out on loan, if an offer of £15M + comes in for Chambers then I think it has to be taken.

blaise

I d say we are determined to get Soyuncu or some other young CB, but we need to sell one to buy one.

Also there is probably no interest in Mustafi at the moment so we are trying to see what we can get for Chambers if we cant get a decent fee for Mustafi. Looks like one of them is out for sure.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Well it kind of does, you're implying that because we're spending £30m on him he must be good, just playing devils advocate :lol:

Noooooo :(

Because Sven is looking at shelling that money, I'm just saying I think Sven's judgement is far better than Arsène's haha.

Reactions: Jae

Arsenal Quotes

We don't sign superstars, we make them.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom