• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Cesc's ranking in list of top 50 Gunners

La Sagna

Established Member
Keown and Dixon 20, 21 but Kanu 13 :lol:

It's hard to rate as were going through a dark "era".

In 50 years time people will only remember generations, our recent successful generation was the invincibles (that got swiftly dismantled) and not the period after it, i.e. Cesc's period.

So using that and looking back in 50 years time with the current list he will be between 25-35.
As an individual and with his ability he would be between 10-15.

Main point is he came 10 years too late. Imagine him being flanked by Pires Ljungberg with Vieira Gilberto behind him and his passing feeding Henry...DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Shue

Established Member
Shue said:
Ted Drake makes Anelka look like Carlton Cole.
To illustrate this;

Ted Drake:

168 league appearances, 124 goals
14 FA Cup appearances, 12 goals
2 CS appearances, 3 goals

Total 180 appearances, 138 goals.

Pretty sure he's also the record holder for most goals in a game scored by an Arsenal player, 6 vs Aston Villa iirc

goonerwarsh

Established Member
DOUBLE-YOU said:
That list is nonsense. Alan Ball shouldn't be as low as 45th, Alex James shouldn't be 46th. And Brian Talbot 23? - NAH!!!

Kanu doesn't deserve 13 nor freddie 11. i would rate Cesc higher than Feddie. There's no Paul Davis and if Steve Williams is there (as much as i think he was a great player on his day) Alan Hudson should be too.

No Jack Kelsey; our first great keeper, Les or Dennis Compton either.

Silly list which was probably attained from votes from a younger internet generation. If a similar list is made 50 years from now the top 5 would probably be the only ones included.

Ouch!! The year when Pires got injured Freddie went on an immense run of form (admittedly with the aid of Mr Bergkamp pulling the strings) and won us the double. But then as you say I think it's too hard to make these lists as the brilliant players of previous generations will always kind of got forgotten about.

Liam Brady will probably have ground to say that he was equally as talented as Cesc.

Uncle Mike

Established Member
I've been thinking about compiling a list of my own, with a rating system of my own design. When I have the time, I'll try it. Suffice it to say that Francesc Mustardgas will not stack up well against true Arsenal greats.

Le Professeur

Established Member
mistaT said:
Can't be any higher than Sol for me - Sol was a winner, Cesc was merely a talent.

It's not Cesc's fault in any way he didn't win anything as a captain though.

As has been said, put him in, say, the Invincibles side, and he'd have been the best midfielder in Premiership history.

Le Professeur

Established Member
Uncle Mike said:
I've been thinking about compiling a list of my own, with a rating system of my own design. When I have the time, I'll try it. Suffice it to say that Francesc Mustardgas will not stack up well against true Arsenal greats.

Come On Mike. He's given us his all for 8 years, while his boyhood friends (as much as we hate them) are winning things for fun and making history as the best club side in football history. Cesc is the last one to blame for Arsenal winning nowt in 6 years.

Uncle Mike

Established Member
Le Professeur said:
Uncle Mike said:

Come On Mike. He's given us his all for 8 years, while his boyhood friends (as much as we hate them) are winning things for fun and making history as the best club side in football history. Cesc is the last one to blame for Arsenal winning nowt in 6 years.
I suppose you're right. After all, it's not like he sabotaged us at all.

Cough-backheel-cough.

a_fourteen

Established Member
is this the first time you guys are seeing the list? it's been around for ages and was hotly debated when it came out. the top 10 are alright i guess give or take a little shuffling.

Uncle Mike

Established Member
Le Professeur said:
Americans and their conspiracy theories...
Cough-Diana-cough.

Of course, in this case, Arsenal are Diana, Cesc is Charles, and Barcelona are Camilla.

No, that's not fair. I have some respect for Charles and Camilla.

alboots101

Established Member
Even with a bad season his stats stack up pretty good.

We should learn a lesson from this but we probably wont...I`d never deal with Barcunts ever again.

Arsenal Quotes

The coach's role is to make the player understand everything that serves the interest of the game. To do this he must speak to the child within each player, to the adolescent he was and the adult he is now. Too often a coach tends only to speak to the adult, issuing commands for performance, for victory, for reflection, to the detriment of the child who is playing for pleasure, living in the present.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom