• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Charles Aranguiz

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Bring Schneiderlin in for Arteta, and Aranguiz for Flamini but as GDeep says, he would be a good utility player as he's not just a DM type. We may even lose Rosa next season so we have room.

Iceman10

Established Member
ArsenesNO1Fan said:
Imagine if Coq and Ramsey are injured, Arteta/Flamini have left, then what? I don't think we're signing Schneiderlin personally.

Assuming we sign Schneiderlin (or Kondogbia):

CDM: Schneiderlin, Le Coq, Chambers*, Bielik

DLP/b2b (CM): Ramsey, Wilshere, Schneiderlin*, Ox*, Cazorla*

(* cover positions)

This assumes a scenario where Arteta, Flam, and Diaby depart

If Le Coq and Ramsey are injured Schneiderlin plays CDM and we still have depth with DLP/b2b. Not sure we would need another player on top, and in terms of squad management there's a balance between numbers and players feeling they will get match time. Seems like an illusion because one player only is required for three outs in this scenario but that's because our problem previously has been quantity over quality with "deadwood".

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
Iceman10 said:
Assuming we sign Schneiderlin (or Kondogbia):

CDM: Schneiderlin, Le Coq, Chambers*, Bielik

DLP/b2b (CM): Ramsey, Wilshere, Schneiderlin*, Ox*, Cazorla*

(* cover positions)

This assumes a scenario where Arteta, Flam, and Diaby depart

If Le Coq and Ramsey are injured Schneiderlin plays CDM and we still have depth with DLP/b2b. Not sure we would need another player on top, and in terms of squad management there's a balance between numbers and players feeling they will get match time. Seems like an illusion because one player only is required for three outs in this scenario but that's because our problem previously has been quantity over quality with "deadwood".

I don't think it's a given we get Schneiderlin or Kondogbia anyway but.....

Let's start off by saying Bielik may never be ready to play for us, he hasn't impressed with the reserves. He could be another Eisfeld.

Consider Ramsey, Coq and our new DM gets injured and Arteta and Flamini leave. Do you want to send Santi and Chamberlain/Wilshere out as a midfield base against Chelsea/Liverpool? Those horrible 5-1 and 6-0 memories come to mind. Chambers I suppose can play as a DM but he hasn't impressed thus far in that position.

I'd like 2 combative midfielders, whether DMs or B2B. If Arteta and Diaby leave that's 2 squad places freed up, if Flamini leaves its 3 squad places.

We probably will try and get by with one but who knows.....I feel Wenger will want to spend the majority of his budget on a forward.

Iceman10

Established Member
It's not a given regarding Schneiderlin/Kondgobia, but surely the point is order of preference of a shortlist in going after players. That's where the question of Schneiderlin vs. Aranguiz arises. I'm not ruling out Aranguiz, it's just the order of preferred targets.

Bielik: I agree (no guarantees), in that breakdown above he's no more than fourth choice.

On adding another injury (new CDM) on top of Le Coq and Ramsey: We can keep going where one by one a player gets injured but as I said there is a balance with squad management of numbers and ensuring players feel they will get match time. I should add that the "illusion" is real of being able to replace Arteta, Flamini, and Diaby with one player because we already have a virtual new player in Le Coq, whose renaissance was unexpected.

In terms of replacing player for player, I addressed that above in terms of saving squad spots for other positions on the pitch and allowance for players just under 21 having to be registered soon, i.e. Ox will have to be registered for next season whereas he didn't for this season, Bellerin and Chambers will be 21 by 01-Jan-16 and will have to be registered for the 16/17 season. Arguably we've had too many squad spots occupied by CDM/CM with quantity over quality because squad registration of 25 means barely over two players per position with three goalkeepers (with U-21's providing extra depth because they don't have to be registered). Conceptually this means one or two registration spots of Arteta/Flam/Diaby can (and should) be redistributed elsewhere on the pitch.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
MutableEarth said:
I can only think that with the signing of Gabriel, a player who defends on the front foot - and us being linked with this particular player - that Wenger is looking to push the team much higher up the field. If that's the case, then we'd have to have a much more co-ordinated pressing game, and it seems that Wenger is trying to build a team to do this on the front foot - possibly the reason why he doesn't just want a holder.

I can imagine Wenger doing something crazy like a Ramsey-Aranguiz pivot with Gabriel-Koscielny as a CB pairing behind them. With Bellerin and Gibbs you also have extremely fast full-backs. That would be a very quick, yet compact line-up with a lot of energy. If Welbeck was to have an upsurge in performance, he'd probably be key in such a line-up - an Ox/Welbeck/Alexis front-line is not only pacy, but hard-working, dynamic and all capable of defending/pressing from the front. Özil probably the odd one out. Coquelin as an auxiliary ball-winner to sew games up would work.

All hypothetical of course, but just trying to find reason to why Aranguiz would possibly be preferred over what I believe to be the better, albeit more expensive option, in Schneiderlin - who himself, isn't just a de facto holding player and is capable of playing further up the field, or at a higher tempo. Wenger is slowly transforming the team and I can see what he's trying to do - whether he'll do it or half-ass it is another thing.

I suppose it depends if Sanchez, Welbeck were bought for their pressing and Gabriel for his front foot interceptions for tactical reasons or because they were the best forwards/defenders we could buy.

In the past Wenger has tried to pair Ramsey and Wilshere at the base of our midfield.

We still have many less physical playmaker types who can't press as effectively so I suppose it's about balance.

Iceman10

Established Member
That analysis by Mutable Earth is pivotal, we indeed have to see whether that apparent pathway of progression comes to fruition (or whether it is just apparent because buys were for other reasons), and as Mutable says, if that is the plan commit to it and don't do it half assed.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
Iceman10 said:
It's not a given regarding Schneiderlin/Kondgobia, but surely the point is order of preference of a shortlist in going after players. That's where the question of Schneiderlin vs. Aranguiz arises. I'm not ruling out Aranguiz, it's just the order of preferred targets.

Bielik: I agree (no guarantees), in that breakdown above he's no more than fourth choice.

On adding another injury (new CDM) on top of Le Coq and Ramsey: We can keep going where one by one a player gets injured but as I said there is a balance with squad management of numbers and ensuring players feel they will get match time. I should add that the "illusion" is real of being able to replace Arteta, Flamini, and Diaby with one player because we already have a virtual new player in Le Coq, whose renaissance was unexpected.

In terms of replacing player for player, I addressed that above in terms of saving squad spots for other positions on the pitch and allowance for players just under 21 having to be registered soon, i.e. Ox will have to be registered for next season whereas he didn't for this season, Bellerin and Chambers will be 21 by 01-Jan-16 and will have to be registered for the 16/17 season. Arguably we've had too many squad spots occupied by CDM/CM with quantity over quality because squad registration of 25 means barely over two players per position with three goalkeepers (with U-21's providing extra depth because they don't have to be registered). Conceptually this means one or two registration spots of Arteta/Flam/Diaby can (and should) be redistributed elsewhere on the pitch.

YEs if we're only going for 1 midfielder, then there's a few possibilities:

1. This is just a case of Alexis wanting a countryman than Wenger won't sign (probable)
2. Wenger rates Aranguiz on par with or better than Schneiderlin and co
3. Wenger is taking the cheap option and investing most of his cash in a forward like Lacazete/Fekir/Dybala.
4. After 2 years of big spending our budget for 2015 is limited, getting Gabriel probably limits summer spending a little.

Or just that Aranguiz is going to be available for 5m and it's too good a deal to turn down.

How many squad spots will we have when:

1. Bellarin/Chambers/Wilshere/Chamberlain are registered? I'm not sure if Wilshere is yet
2 AND Arteta/Rosicky/Falmini/Diaby leave.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Wenger's a cheap bastard when it comes to central midfield. People have been calling for him to buy a top player in there for 6 years and it still hasn't happened, favouring stop-gaps, cheap players and internal options(including playing attacking players in roles they shouldn't be in).

I'd be shocked if that changed this Summer.

Bigbludfire

Established Member
Looked like he had a huge ballbag in the WC. But as a lot have said before, I'd only take him as a squad player.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

It'd be a classic signing for us let's be honest, a way of looking at it from Wenger's perspective is that Coquelin has been immense in the last 2 months, Arteta is reliable and this guy is versatile, hard-working and will save us a bit of money.

GDeep™

League is very weak
When you take into consideration the adaptation period needed for a guy coming in from South America, him playing Copa America next summer etc, I hope Aranguiz will be part of two mid signings, the other being Schneiderlin.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

The way I see it is, Coquelin replaces Flamini and this guy replaces Diaby. Maybe I'm wrong, there's still a likely chance there's nothing in these rumours.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Fear the usual from Wenger. No replacing Giroud, got Coq so why spend 30M on Schneiderlin etc.

Spend 20M on Fekir though, loves his attacking mids.

BobP

Memri Fan
Why replace Giroud now? He's clearly found his feet. Obviously not ideal for how we want to be playing but there aren't many options available who can outdo Giroud who are attainable.

I for one will be excited if this transfer goes through tidy, versatile player Aranguuz is, only thing which is a concern is his build but even then he's still pretty solid.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
The thought of Arteta starting for Arsenal next season physically hurts me. He was over the hill 12 months ago.

Anzac

Established Member
BobP said:
I definitely wouldn't consider Aranguiz as a defensive midfielder, what mutable earth is saying about Wenger trying to build a dynamic pressing team may be true.

Aranguiz is like the midfield version of Sanchez, will not stop running and a real battler, the Chilean Milner. Would be such a useful asset to have in the squad especially at the prices being quoted.

This.

Price being thrown about is only 5-6m, 3rd party will not be as much of an issue & neither will a visa re his 31 caps.

He seems like an all-action type CM who can work B2B - cover for DM & B2B roles.

say yes

forum master baiter
Will be fuming if we plump for some Chilean midget rather than splashing out on Schneiderlin.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Dokaka said:
The thought of Arteta starting for Arsenal next season physically hurts me. He was over the hill 12 months ago.

Arteta is gonna leave or will be the bench next season Le Coq took Arteta place in the squad.

Arsenal Quotes

I play on the right, Tony on the left and we'll deal with whoever comes along, big or small

Martin Keown
Top Bottom