• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Charlie Patino: No Swan Song Afterall

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
We seem to be doing pretty well with our loans so far. Tavares killing it in Ligue 1, Patino and Norton Cuffy doing very well in the Championship, Auston Trusty also doing well. Balogun scoring for Reims. I think our young keeper Okonwo is also doing alright at Crewe. Patino and Norton Cuffy could come back with a genuine shot as establishing themselves as first team regulars. Tavares and Balogun hace big competition but if they keep doing well you could probably get 40M for the two combined.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

We seem to be doing pretty well with our loans so far. Tavares killing it in Ligue 1, Patino and Norton Cuffy doing very well in the Championship, Auston Trusty also doing well. Balogun scoring for Reims. I think our young keeper Okonwo is also doing alright at Crewe. Patino and Norton Cuffy could come back with a genuine shot as establishing themselves as first team regulars. Tavares and Balogun hace big competition but if they keep doing well you could probably get 40M for the two combined.
History probably shows that very few will actually make it here, that does not mean that they will not generate funds though. Not sure who has the best chance to making it to the first team. Time will tell.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

History probably shows that very few will actually make it here, that does not mean that they will not generate funds though. Not sure who has the best chance to making it to the first team. Time will tell.
Norton-Cuffy I think. He is built like a man already, and still that's not what he only thrives from, but has speed, technique and vision. He is also almost two-footed I think, so fits well fit the inverted fullback tactic. Patino of course is a similar talent, but much more difficult position at a top team, but I think he has it to succeed at Arsenal now that he has a bit more muscle already, and looking good at Championship. But will take 2-3 years.

With Balogun it is difficult, because we already have Jesus and Nketiah. Nketiah looks like Arsenal squad player level striker already. And of course we would like a top striker, and have Jesus as 1st/2nd striker plus winger option for rotation.

Balogun, if he continues like this, looks like better than 3rd striker at Arsenal. And it's not fair to him to only use him in some cup games with his talent. Imagine if we could have our 2nd & 3rd striker from the academy, not sure that has almost ever done at a top club?

What is nice is that we got Nketiah & Balogun both extended, and both are looking like proving they have the talent and mentality for top leagues. At one point it looked like both could be lost for free. So like you say, they will generate funds at least.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Probably Tavares if he wants to come back and Arteta doesn't hold a grudge.

drippin

Tavares is playing LWB at Marseille. Arteta doesn't play 3 at the back anymore.

So I don't see that happening, until something about this changes. Maybe he sees Tavares as a winger next year, or Tavares builds up his defensive skills. Otherwise, no.

I don't think Tavares is good enough winger for Arsenal level club. He is very good going forward for a LB or LWB, but doesn't likely have the mental vision otherwise. He also loses focus too much for a LB.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Tavares is playing LWB at Marseille. Arteta doesn't play 3 at the back anymore.

So I don't see that happening, until something about this changes. Maybe he sees Tavares as a winger next year, or Tavares builds up his defensive skills. Otherwise, no.

I don't think Tavares is good enough winger for Arsenal level club. He is very good going forward for a LB or LWB.
Tavares' defensive problems are because he's young. Obviously he's not going to start over Zinchenko but he certainly has technical qualities that are closer to Zinchenko's than what Tierney offers and if Tierney continues to be made of glass, I can see Tavares being kept as Zinchenko's deputy rather than spending money on another backup. We didn't try to use Tavares the way we're using Zinchenko last season. What this year's system is asking for from the LB at least going forward is much more in line with what Tavares is good at that what he was asked to do last year. He did actually look good for us in spells, it was his decision making that was poor at times as is to be expected with a young player. Hopefully he matures and is ready to at least fight for a place next season.

drippin

Tavares' defensive problems are because he's young. Obviously he's not going to start over Zinchenko but he certainly has technical qualities that are closer to Zinchenko's than what Tierney offers and if Tierney continues to be made of glass, I can see Tavares being kept as Zinchenko's deputy rather than spending money on another backup. We didn't try to use Tavares the way we're using Zinchenko last season. What this year's system is asking for from the LB at least going forward is much more in line with what Tavares is good at that what he was asked to do last year. He did actually look good for us in spells, it was his decision making that was poor at times as is to be expected with a young player. Hopefully he matures and is ready to at least fight for a place next season.
Good point, and yes, if we don't have money and Tierney keeps being injury-prone, yeah I can see Tavares being the 2nd LB in the future.

But still, with all the good Tavares has, I don't think he has the mental qualities or intelligence to be a great inverted LB. He seems a bit sloppy mentally no matter his age.

He might not even have the qualities to be a great normal LB. He for sure has the qualities to be a great LWB and this is why Arsenal will get good money for him in the future if it goes that way.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I don't think there really is an issue there. My main concern is that he seems best suited as a wingback, which is probably not something we will often play. Obviously the right decision to let him out on loan.

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
Thought he had a pretty bad game today but he got a goal and generally looked positive on the ball. Looked like a guy that hasn't played for a month.
I'm a little concerned at the manner in which he went off. It didn't look like there was any impact from an opponent, he just seemed to pull something. Not sure they should have played him for 85+ minutes this soon after a lengthy injury layoff.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Played the full 90 minutes again as Blackpool beat Watford 3-1. Clearly endearing himself to the locals. Starting to look like a good loan this.

Last edited:

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚

I have to say, while that balance and ability to turn with the ball so close to his feet and the burst to get away from players (Wilshere like) I absolutely love, there is a looseness about his passing and technically that surprises me. It's a bit weird, kinda hard to describe, it's like he's uninterested in his precision technically...or has his technique been overrated to an extent?

Had to agree with this comment on the video:

"He's looking more solid. Have to say given that he's branded as a passmaster I'd hoped more of his passes reached their mark."

That said, his de Jong / Wilshere like burst and turning in midfield is really, really interesting.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

I have to say, while that balance and ability to turn with the ball so close to his feet and the burst to get away from players (Wilshere like) I absolutely love, there is a looseness about his passing and technically that surprises me. It's a bit weird, kinda hard to describe, it's like he's uninterested in his precision technically...or has his technique been overrated to an extent?

"He's looking more solid. Have to say given that he's branded as a passmaster I'd hoped more of his passes reached their mark."

That said, his de Jong / Wilshere like burst and turning in midfield is really, really interesting.
It's more his choice of pass rather than the precision of his passing that's often praised. Azeez I'd say has far cleaner ball striking capability, probably the cleanest at Hale End.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka

Yea he can be a bit sloppy. Don't think it's a technique issue cause I have watched him be very clean and precise, especially with his passing. But even in the academy his touch is not as sharp as it'd like, that's my one pet peeve. Also still dont like that he dives into tackles all the time. Wilshere def had cleaner touch and better close control.

Arsenal Quotes

It was a unique moment, a football fairytale. Was there anyone left who still believed I could give that kind of performance? Probably only Arsène Wenger.

Per Mertesacker on Arsenal’s FA Cup Final win over Chelsea on 2017 being his only appearance that season
Top Bottom