• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Chelsea FC: Carabottlejobs

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
As Palkin told The Athletic: “Arsenal contacted the player almost one and a half months before they contacted us. Can you imagine, for example, to have (the manager) Mikel Arteta, (Arsenal’s Ukrainian player) Oleksandr Zinchenko and the sporting director calling you, to have Arsenal calling you almost every day, every two days, every three days? You can want or not want the move, but you follow this kind of reception and contacts.”

The Ukrainian club’s asking price had been established as €100million, but Arsenal were still confident a compromise could be struck for a lower fee.

Palkin confirmed he met Arsenal on more occasions than he did Chelsea. Arsenal made three offers in all, the final one coming last Thursday, which reached the €70million-plus-€30million threshold. But Shakhtar were unhappy with the schedule of the payments, and the achievements that would trigger the add-ons, proposed by Edu. The negotiations became tense, the talks increasingly challenging.

No agreement was struck.

In essence, Arsenal had given Chelsea something to beat and, crucially, the current world champions then took matters into their own hands.

Last Friday night, co-owner Behdad Eghbali and recently appointed director of global talent and transfers Paul Winstanley boarded a red-eye flight to Antalya in Turkey, where Shakhtar were holding a training camp during the Ukrainian season’s winter break. They arrived on Saturday morning with Shakhtar agreeing to a meeting at a hotel near their base in the seaside town of Belek.

Those face-to-face discussions were attended by Palkin, Srna, and also by Mudryk and his representatives.

It should be acknowledged that prior to those talks in Turkey, having spoken to both Arteta and the Chelsea head coach Graham Potter, Mudryk’s own priority had been securing a move to Arsenal. Yet, with Arsenal having since made clear how much they were prepared to pay and when, an offer Shakhtar had effectively knocked back, the player was now confronting a straight choice between staying at the Ukrainian club until the summer or joining Chelsea.

Step forward Egbhali and Winstanley to deliver their own sales pitch. Over eight to 10 hours of presentations and talks, they put forward Chelsea’s case.

It was stressed to Mudryk that Chelsea would provide him with a platform to excel. He would have a major role to play in the club’s new project as a key player in coach Potter’s team. Despite the squad at Stamford Bridge already having several players who operate in Mudryk’s favoured position off the left, Eghbali and Winstanley stressed how he would arguably face stiffer competition for game-time from 21-year-old Brazil international Martinelli if he chose to join Arsenal.

As well as their footballing arguments, Shakhtar were also impressed by Chelsea’s pastoral plan to bed in a player who has spent the past year playing against the backdrop of war in his homeland.

Palkin admits what Eghbali and Winstanley said made a huge impression on everyone in the room.

“When they explain to you the whole story and you look for the next two, three, four, five years, then you see they have a serious project,” Palkin added. “I believe they will build one of the best clubs in the world because I am telling you, they are very serious in all directions: sports science, the stadium side, the commercial side, on all things. For us, they looked very ambitious.”

Chelsea duly met Shakhtar’s €70million-plus-€30million demands too, with the Ukrainian club happier regarding the speed at which the instalments would be delivered. Those add-ons depend on Chelsea winning the Premier League and Champions League during Mudryk’s time at the club. Crucially, even with the team currently 10th in the table and 10 points outside the top four, Shakhtar felt this was a more realistic goal than what would be needed to trigger those in Arsenal’s package.

The club’s owner, Rinat Akhmetov, was not present in Turkey but he spoke to Chelsea’s representatives by telephone once a deal had been struck in principle.

If there had been an opportunity for Arsenal to make a counter-offer, it was passed up. They had indicated the structure of the deal they were prepared to strike and, for all that the talks had become strained, believed the ball still to be in Shakhtar’s court.

Fundamentally, what seems to have made the biggest difference was Chelsea’s more proactive approach. A source privy to the situation, who asked not to be named to protect their position, explained why they beat Arsenal to the signing: “Who was out there (in Turkey) and who was not out there?”

A pre-agreement was in place, and some initial paperwork got signed.

Eghbali, Winstanley, Mudryk and Srna then flew, all on the same plane, to London to complete the formalities, with the player undertaking his medical on Sunday.

Everything was finalised in time for Mudryk to attend the match at home to Crystal Palace that afternoon and be presented to the fans at half-time.

A very content Potter, who The Athletic revealed had pushed for the signing to be made and spoke to Mudryk as part of the process, detailed what he believes the player will bring to his side in the aftermath of that 1-0 victory. He will make him integral to his team.

“He’s a player with a big future,” he said. “He’s exciting one versus one, he’s very direct, he attacks the back line, can go into wide areas but also affects the goal; a really exciting player and I think our supporters will really like him.

“We want to do better. We want to play better, to get more points and wins. You need a squad that is balanced, that has the right amount of competition, and I think he brings that.”

The prospect of Mudryk making his debut against Liverpool in Saturday’s lunchtime game is enticing, but some level of realism is still required.

Until his breakthrough this season, he had scored just twice in 47 appearances for three different clubs in his homeland — including, ironically, a loan spell at Arsenal Kyiv in 2019 — and he has just eight senior caps with only four starts.

Expectations need to reflect the reality that he is a player of great potential, but one who is far from the finished article.

He has also not played in a competitive match since November 23, due to the winter break in his homeland, and will inevitably be short of match fitness. It will be some ask for him to play the full 90 minutes at Anfield.

But, while Arsenal lick their wounds and look elsewhere for targets in the remaining two weeks of the winter window, Chelsea can be optimistic that they have a new talent in their midst to help drive them towards better times over the second half of the season.

I'mma just say it even though people probably won't like it, but I reckon if Edu spent more time talking to the club directly instead of the player they would have landed their man. That's my main take away from this.

A bunch of fluff about being impressed over their sports science and winning the PL while they're sitting in 10th? :lol: Sounds like a clown show. I'm glad we missed out on him.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
People are deluding themselves that Mudryk isn't the real deal. He's got it all - the only question is will Potter be able to play to his strengths, and I think he will.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
I too think this will be a Hazard-esque deal when the dust settles. That being said, we're in a better position now so we'll still be competitive without him.

Chelsea are still a pathetic racist scummy club at the end of the day. Are they still in for Caicedo? Surely their business isn't done at half a billion.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Mudryk looked bright considered that’s his first competitive game in months. I respect having limits but if we really missed out due to structure of payments that's poor.

Got to hope the chaotic Chelsea harms him.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I was quite surprised this morning when I was looking at the table that Chelsea have only scored 22 goals, 13th overall behind Leeds, Leicester, Villa and the 9 teams above them. We have scored almost double with 42!

Unfortunately I feel this season will only be a blip as they are hoarding a huge number of very talented players under the age of 24 they can build a serious squad around over the next 2-3 years if they give Potter time.

Cucarella, Mount, Havertz, Chalobah, Felix, James, Gallagher, Fofana, Mudryk, Badiashile, Broja, Madueke, Chukwuemeka, Hall as well as some of the unknows like David Fofana and Santos.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
People are deluding themselves that Mudryk isn't the real deal. He's got it all - the only question is will Potter be able to play to his strengths, and I think he will.
I think people are deluding themselves into thinking that he has arrived after his cameo.

He has very quick feet, excellent turn of pace and dribbling and he looks like he can ride challenges. He doesn't look like a finisher though. He looks like more of a creator, which why we probably wanted him. He is different to what we have.

People are comparing him to Martinelli based on his position but Saka is the more viable comparison and remember, Saka has been a consistent performer for a very long time.

Mudryk hasn't. He hasn't been consistent at Shakthar. He does go missing in games at times and that is even in a dominant team. I am not saying he is bad, i am saying that he needs to do a lot more than look sharp vs Milner at right back and a Liverpool team that hasn't kept a clean sheet in a long time.

There is so much projection going on. Projecting him to be this magnificent player based off of what? Dribbling and looking fast?

Come on now. There are so many hurdles. Can he perform consistently?
What happens when teams double up on him?
What happens when he gets targeted physically?
What happens when he gets an injury?
What happens when he has a goal drought?
What happens when he has an off day?

He needs to literally answer all of those questions and on top of that, make the difference in big games and big moments before 100million is justified. There is a long way to go.

Honestly, social media are acting like he did this.

Now that's a ****ing debut where every Man United fan rightly thought. ****!!!

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
So it’s all Martinelli’s fault.

@db10_therza you gonna keep giving me sh*t for ‘hating’ on Gabi now?

Nah I’m all for constructive criticism. What riles me up is when “people” start dropping their trousers at the mention of Rashford. Against city the guy screwed up two 1 on 1s with the goalie, should have ffd up a goal for not understanding the offside rule and then scored a tap in. If Martinelli pulled out that performance “people” would have absolutely slaughtered him.

I was one of them mans that wanted Mudryk to take Nelly’s spot - I don’t think he’s perfect.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Nah I’m all for constructive criticism. What riles me up is when “people” start dropping their trousers at the mention of Rashford. Against city the guy screwed up two 1 on 1s with the goalie, should have ffd up a goal for not understanding the offside rule and then scored a tap in. If Martinelli pulled out that performance “people” would have absolutely slaughtered him.

I was one of them mans that wanted Mudryk to take his spot - I don’t think he’s perfect.
I was joking!🤣

But fair points I guess.

Sydney-Gooner

I too think this will be a Hazard-esque deal when the dust settles. That being said, we're in a better position now so we'll still be competitive without him.

Chelsea are still a pathetic racist scummy club at the end of the day. Are they still in for Caicedo? Surely their business isn't done at half a billion.

I hope I'm wrong but the kid looks like Bale 2.0. Don't think De Zerbi was exaggerating when he said Mudryk's got potential Ballon d'Or winning potential.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
It's one game ffs where he hasn't even scored. No doubt Mudryk's good but the shiny toy overhype is already happening. Every time when it comes to Chelsea.

Have some patience. He's not gonna turn Chelsea into a super club either. Too many problems still.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

Yeah how about you introduce limit about how much should teams spend because the market is ruined

Arsenal Quotes

My first ever football memory was Charlie George's double winning goal in 71. After that game; I just became an Arsenal fan.

Paul Davis
Top Bottom