• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL | Arsenal vs Bayern Munich | 19/02/14 | 19:45

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
DJ_Markstar said:
@TGG

Bro, who is that absolute chode in your avatar? I need some more dartboard material.

Chode?! It's Machine Gun Kelly, my favourite rapper. Don't be a hater bro.

If you fancy dart board material I recommend Chad Kroeger :).

GDeep™

League is very weak
That would be MGK it looks like, Machine Gun Kelly, not bad actually, though generally all this modern rap sounds pretty gay.

I'm done with the Özil talk atm, it's quite clear now that there is an over reaction and total ignorance in many quarters on this.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Taylor Gang Gunners said:
DJ_Markstar said:
@TGG

Bro, who is that absolute chode in your avatar? I need some more dartboard material.

Chode?! It's Machine Gun Kelly, my favourite rapper. Don't be a hater bro.

If you fancy dart board material I recommend Chad Kroeger :).

Bro, What are you talking about? Machine Gun Kelly couldn't rap a penny sweet.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
DJ_Markstar said:
@TGG

Yeah, always wondered who that ****** was. Cringed every time I saw that "**** college" shirt, should read '**** primary' the way that dickhead looks. You're better than this TGG, I know you're young but that doesn't excuse everything :D

Taylor Gang Gunners

Trusted ⭐
jones said:
DJ_Markstar said:
@TGG

Yeah, always wondered who that ****** was. Cringed every time I saw that "**** college" shirt, should read '**** primary' the way that ******** looks. You're better than this TGG, I know you're young but that doesn't excuse everything :D

:shock: , really? Just gonna double team me like that? :lol:. Listen to Wild Boy by MGK man, it'll change your opinion on him a bit. Out of pure curiosity what music do you listen to Jonsey? I mean, it's clear DJM is into that kind of music that only plays towards the end of the night at a club.

On topic, I enjoyed Wilshere's performance in the first 20 minutes, I love that little drop of the shoulder he does to shake his marker, and when he lets the ball run across him, fine technician is our Jack.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
When I saw the starting line ups of both teams I instantly got worried. Mainly because of our left hand side. This was due to the worry that our full backs generally don't close down that quickly. However, once the match started this wasn't really a problem. In fact it seemed like the main way we could win the match.

Bayern attacked down our left constantly, but with Gotze also moving to the right he vacated the left hand side. So it depended on the ability of our left back handling a two on one situation. Gibbs was fully capable of this. He dominated Robben in the air and closed him down very quickly. Robben would also never really attempt to get to the byline as Gibbs is very quick. This would allow us to snuff out attacks, win the ball and switch it to the right for Chamberlain to have a run at Alaba. The fact that Sanogo was also dominant in the air also showed that even if we did concede, I could definitely see us scoring.

So in a sense although they outnumbered us down that side, they overloaded and gave us an opportunity to exploit the space on our right hand side, space that I didn't think they would allow us to have. That is why the first 15 minutes were so promising. Monreal came on and everything changed. Robben simply has the beating of him in every way and the fact that he doesn't track runners seriously hurt us. He also tends to tuck in so far that he is basically an additional centre back. This game really showed how much better Gibbs is.

As far as Özil goes, the penalty miss is simply a miss. Every player can miss a penalty, with a different run up or not, it isn't really relevant. Özil covered the ground, so the effort isn't the problem. The fact that he had lapses in concentration is no surprise really and has been totally blown out of proportion. What do you expect from a very offensive luxury player? Would Ronaldinho have tracked a run. Definitely not, but you keep him on the field because he can carry the ball 40 yards or make something happen out of nothing.

What infuriated me the most watching this game was the defensive position of our two central midfielders. Flamini sat too deep on occasion, but he did at least attempt to press and win the ball on occasion. Flamini knows where he should be, Wilshere has no idea and it will cost us against top sides. He doesn't know when or how to press.

For example if you take a 4 on 4 hypothetical situation, with the players in bold in possession of the ball, below is how the players should be positioned if the ball were to move from right to left:

--------------Chamberlain-
----------------------------Flamini----

-------------------------------------------Wilshere
-----------------------------------------------------------Cazorla

--Gotze------------------------------------------------Robben---

---------------------Martinez---------------Kroos-----------

-------------Chamberlain-----
----------------------------Flamini----
----------------------------------------------------------Cazorla

---Gotze---------------------------------------------------Robben
--------------------------------------------Wilshere--------------

------------------------Martinez-------------Kroos-----------------

-------------------------------------------------------Cazorla
----------------------------------------Wilshere---------------
------------Chamberlain--------------------------------------------

------Gotze---------------Flamini---------------------------Robben

--------------------------Martinez----------Kroos--------------------

-------------------------------------------------------Cazorla
-------------------------------------------Wilshere-------------

----------------------------Flamini----------------------------------
------Chamberlain-----------------------------------------------------

-------Gotze--------------------------------------------------Robben

-----------------------------Martinez----------Kroos----------------------

Moving like the above is simply how you shuffle across and press when you have a midfield four. That is what we have. It makes playing through us and inbetween the midfielders much more difficult as the angles are cut off. However, we don't do this as a unit when Wilshere is in the middle. Flamini does it. When Wilshere presses Flamini is in the right position, yet when Flamini presses Wlshere doesn't drop. He stays square to Flamini, making it so easy to play through us and find space inbetween the lines. Ramsey is much better at this. He presses and drops in tandem with Flamini. The early Kroos attempt came about because Flamni stayed deep and Wilshere had to run across the pitch and press where what should of happened is Wilshere drops and Flamini presses.

The first goal also came about because Wilshere was far too deep. He had no chance of pressing. Below is an example of how our set up pretty much was during the entire match. The same as it was against Liverpool, and the same whenever Wilshere plays.

-------Chamberlain
------------------------Flamini-------------Wilshere--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------Cazorla

------Gotze---------------------------------------------------Robben

------------------------Martinez--------------Kroos-----------------

Give any team time and space, they will hurt you. Allow good players time and they will find a pass. If you press in the right manner and cover your angles effectively, you can make any strong offensive team look ordinary for the majority of the game. We are tactically naive when we have certain players missing and Wilshere is a complete defensive liability when playing in central midfield against strong opposition. Against the weaker teams it isn't an issue, but without Ramsey, we will seriously struggle against a team that has players who can move in between the lines and find a pass.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
@TGG
I listen to pretty much everything these days, Lo-Fi songwriter stuff, 70s Blues Rock, Math Rock etc pp, I can enjoy almost every genre as long it's genuinely good music. Had a big 90s rap phase when I was younger, then I got into UK Garage/older dubstep, Burial especially and similar stuff for a very long while. Don't think we'll reach an agreement on this mate when your other faves are Taylor Swift and the likes :lol:

Agree regarding Wilshere, much better than against Liverpool just a week ago.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Trusted ⭐
jones said:
@TGG
I listen to pretty much everything these days, Lo-Fi songwriter stuff, 70s Blues Rock, Math Rock etc pp, I can enjoy almost every genre as long it's genuinely good music. Had a big 90s rap phase when I was younger, then I got into UK Garage/older dubstep, Burial especially and similar stuff for a very long while. Don't think we'll reach an agreement on this mate when your other faves are Taylor Swift and the likes :lol:

Agree regarding Wilshere, much better than against Liverpool just a week ago.

I usually save this for The Jury when he's acting up but...

454f57d3-0a17-4294-9b40-6cb31472bc81_zpse6edf28c.jpg

alboots101

Established Member
Taken me a couple of days to get over this one. I`m still of the opinion that we`re expecting way too much out of Özil.

We were well in this game until...........

Stillmatic

Szczesny has a habit of bringing down players in big games...you should be blaming him far more than Özil. Wenger shouldn't even be letting Özil take penalties because they are awful. It's a ridiculous rule though to send a player off when they already have a penalty, it needs changing ASAP. Oh and what a stupid 2nd goal to give away...at 1-0 we still had a chance.

Arsenal Quotes

Right from his very first match, when Patrick Vieira was as yet unknown to the English public, he showed just how talented he was. No one disputed his ability, and he gave me the credibility and the hold over the club that I needed to take it in the direction I wanted. He and Emmanuel Petit became a duo that would remain forever etched in the memories of Arsenal fans.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 28

Arsenal have been handed a boost as Sporting Lisbon have lowered their asking price for CB Ousmane Diomande from €80m to €60m [Record]

Sheffield Wednesday are keen on signing 21 year old striker Mika Biereth on loan [The Sheffield Star]

Arsenal hope to command a sizeable fee for Eddie Nketiah this summer [The Athletic]

Arsenal and AC Milan are interested in Monaco midfielder Youssouf Fofana [Gazzetta]

Thomas Partey’s preference is to stay at Arsenal, but no talks have taken place over a new contract with one year left and the club could consider offers this summer [Charles Watts]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom