• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Chelsea vs Arsenal | 24/03/04

thegame24

Established Member
For Henry to be able to play in CL, we need Kanu to play. Bergkamp and kanu could be brilliant together and they can take some defenders away from Henry.

lewdikris

Established Member
Kyla, honestly, destress. Chelsea played VERY well tonight - all the things they're good at came off. But they couldn't beat us. The ball is totally in our court, and I don't think Chelsea can be that good again - we can be a lot a lot better quite easily.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
i know most expected a win.. but most also failed to realize this is a CL match,m not a EPL or FA Cup match.... everyone plays different in the CL... the fact is, we played the type of match we had to play to grind out a result we didnt entirely deserve.. this leaves us in a good position for the home leg... we know Chelsea has to attack in the next match or they are out.... this leaves them open to counter attack, and that is where we excel....

i actually never though we were a certain winner in this first match (and you will find no posts of mine to say otherwise).... i am satisfied with the result because it leaves us with the advantage...

sure a win would have been better, but we didnt, and this SHOULD (and i said SHOULD, not WOULD) be enough for us to get through..... but we have 2 annoying matches against ManUre first...

thegame24

Established Member
Well i heard Chelsea were offered bonuses if they beat us, and since they are all money grabbers (yes even Terry, remember him threatening to leave before Roman came) they played their best.

AFCG7

Established Member
therock.. thats ridiculous.
I credit Gallas for doing a very good marking job on Henry..stuck to him very well..just like SIlvestre did when we played Man U at Old Trafford..
It wont always work though as Zanetti found out in the Inter game.

We will have to play better than tonight though if we are to go through.
Desailly must be feeling pretty stupid though.. idiot got himself booked and then sent off .

Thats good for us because it means Gallas wont be able to mark Henry for the return leg.

Kyla

therock- you see Henry perform 80% of the time whatever the game. don't single him out. none of our attacking players clicked today- dennis, freddie, even pires. chelsea's plan was to shut the left channel out, and they did to good effect. we expect miracles from thierry half the time, but it wasn't to be today. most of the guys were substandard.

kajej

We won't get screwed over by Real and French teams were never a force in Europe, the result isn't really surprising. If you have watched Real's last 2 games you would know that we won't get screwed over. Their deffence is awful.

I can't understand how people can just say Toure was good today when he was faultless and always won his ball.
With his experience, I wouldn't expect Lehman to go up and attak a ball like that but afterall he is the kind Wenger was looking for and that's his job. Sweeping balls.

As Wenger just said in the interview, with Lehman's goal keeping style, mistakes like these are more abundant. He also seemed pretty angry about Lehman's mistake and said it was sloppy.

HENRY probably had his worst game this season. He didn't do a thing except come back and clear the ball to the touchline a couple of times.

Vieira and Edu were good in patches, but never took control and boosed the midfield like they should have in order for us to have a grip on the match. We dealt pretty well with Duff.

Desailly should have gotten a red straight away for slappin the ball out of Lehman's hand. That's a handball and an offense..how stupid from a player with his experience.

Overall it was a reallllyy tough game and the result was a fair reflection.
GILBERTO WAS ****! He gave away the ball at least three times and I never saw him making a difference in deffence, Wenger should have kept Ljumberg and brought on Reyes for Bergkamp.

Btw, no way Ambrosio or Cuddicini would have been able to get that header it was right in the corner, great header.

thegame24

Established Member
Bloody idiot on Your On Sky sports called us divers. ARSEHOLES, most of Chels free kicks around our box were all dives

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

lewdikris said:
Kyla, honestly, destress. Chelsea played VERY well tonight - all the things they're good at came off. But they couldn't beat us. The ball is totally in our court, and I don't think Chelsea can be that good again - we can be a lot a lot better quite easily.

Gudjonson looked well depressed in the post match; guess he was wondering just what they need to do to beat Arsenal.

Arsenal are in the driving seat; they have to score & it won't suit their defensive game.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
and why does someone have a beef with TH? he is the second leading scorer in the CL at this point... sure, he gets marked out of matches sometimes, and this was one of those occasions.. but Arsenal isnt just about TH14.. it is about Toure, Pires, Bergy, Freddie, Paddy, Edu, Campbell, etc, etc... we got the result we could live with without too much contribution from Henry... he had an absent match for the last 2 against Chelsea.. methinks he's due to explode in the next one (law of averages - of course, those havent seemed to work for Chelsea yet)

Mark

Established Member
A good result I guess. Chelski were good and made it difficult for us, and it's certainly advantage to us. We will beat them at Highbury for sure, but I'm not happy with Lehmann. There were defenders there, it would be easier to save it if he was actually IN his goal! Rushing out like that is **** if you're not gonna get the ball.

Loved our goal, brilliant play and a perfect cross from Ash. Pires put it away well with his head, which is not something you really associate him with, but it was very good.

Soler

Established Member
therock said:
Henry was no where to be seen. I have a beef with this player. No way in hell this dude in in the top 5 in the world. its just his pace that stands out.

this guy always goes missing in action in the big games. This game was the biggest in Arsenal's history and he was lazy and never completed for the ball that was a yard near him. He bottles in this games

That's incredibely ignorant, did you even watch the game?

Henry constantly had 3-4 Chelsea players on him. I and I'm sure everyone else knew this would be how Chelsea would play. Chelsea had to make sure Henry didn't get the ball at his feet because he will punish them and will score a screamer, and will knock them out.

He didn't go missing against Inter Milan, either.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
i can overlook Lehmann's mistake because it didnt cost us a match.... the difference between now and last year is that Seamo's mistakes left us in big trouble... and out team is more resolute this year not to lose...

im telling you, more than people realize, Lehmann is a big part of why our defence is much better this year.. his presence and his direction out there to our defenders are helping them out... i shudder to think if Seamo was still in goal this year where we would be right now... :shock:

kazu

yeah, i think overall the whole team did well... henry wasn't bad, just that we have come to expect too much from that man.. hope he lifts his game in the 2nd leg...

gilberto didn't come on at the right time though... can't settle in the game and was a bag of nerves... parlour would have been great if a defensive substitution was what wenger wanted...

turtle

Henry is not lazy, he ran back a lot of times to help out the defence in this game. He is quiet because Chelski did very well to shut him down, credit to Chelski.

2nd leg of this game is up for grab, but we should worry about the next game first. I saw Fergie is watching the game, we need to perform much better to beat ManU.

gunnertilldeath

Established Member
good result. thats right i said good. any win would have been great. i am angry at jens but anyone who is calling for his head should look at the stats. best defence in the league and the goalie is THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF ANY DEFENCE. he has had a good season and has done a good job. the error tonight was a one off. he is a risk taker. he knew he would get there first and went for it. it is an important part of what makes him a highly rated keeper. he is a maverick. i am really really angry about that blunder tonight but lets not start saying stupid things. jens has been a good part of the team since his arrival. he made one mistake and the nature of his position magnifies that error. we came away with a good result and thats the most important thing.

Soler

Established Member
I watched the game. I also woke up at 6 in the bloody morning to watch said game. That comment of yours is completely ridiculous, and fans like you have no right to accuse THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD, of being lazy.

Gallas had nothing to do because Terry, Makalele, Bridge, Gianluca Vialli and the Pope were constantly surrounding him! Everytime he got the ball there was 2 or 3 blue shirted idiots around him.

orion

A good result, considering we never were on the top of our game, but we sneaked in a goal just at the right time to dismiss the Chelsea opener and we looked comfortable after that. Kolo and Sol were very good tonight and Cole was OK, but others did not really impress. Reyes had a few good touches as a late substite, the small flick for Viera when Desailly walked was absolute class.
The results suits us fine, but the job is only half done and hopefully we'll be up to our usual standards for the second leg.
Onwards to the Manu game now. :)

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have got as much chance of being handed the title by Sp*rs as I have of being given the Crown Jewels. They are the last people we want winning the Championship. Now we mean to round off our season by beating Arsenal.

Alan Mullery (Sp*rs captain in 1971)

There is no way we were going to be beaten

Bertie Mee in the same game after beating Spurs and clinching the Double at White Hart Lane
Top Bottom