• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Cole inundated with hate mail

Mark

Established Member
from www.skysports.com/skysports/football

COLE INUNDATED WITH HATE MAIL

Arsenal's under-fire defender Ashley Cole has reveals he has been inundated with hate mail since his infamous two-footed challenge on Ben Thatcher.
The young Gunner has been hurt with fans' reactions to the incident, which saw him shown the red card by referee Rob Styles against Leicester City.

"Since that tackle there have been a lot of letters - and some of them have been pretty threatening," explained Cole to the News of the World.

"My management team have tried to shield me from the worst of them. But I'm obviously aware some of it is quite nasty.

"It's frightening because I'm only a young guy and no one likes to be on the end of so much hatred."

Foxes defender Steve Howey was critical of Cole following the incident at The Walkers Stadium, remarks the England man felt were unnecessary.

"He should have kept his nose out of things, but he couldn't keep his mouth shut," he continued.

"He was trying to say I had a reputation for bad tackles and that I'm only out to hurt people. That's rubbish and he should know better."

Meanwhile, Cole fears playing against France in next summer's European Championships as it means going up against club colleague Thierry Henry.

The 23-year-old believes the Frenchman is currently the form striker in the world, and is concerned about being taken to the cleaners in Portugal.

"To be honest, Thierry is a different class," he added. "In my mind, there is no better striker in the world at the moment.

"I would hate to face him in a competitive game for fear he would make a complete mug out of me."

Seems ashley's confidence is very low at the moment. it's unfair that he's getting all this hate mail, he is nowhere near as dangerous as steven gerrard can be. he also dreads playing against henry, which is understandable but i hope that this won't affect his performance. i hope he comes back and proves everyone wrong.

Rupert

Yeah Cole doesn't deserve this, it's not like he has a hot temper like Wayne "fat boy" Rooney or Defoe and just kicks out at anything, it was just a mis timed tackle

Jasper

Who's sending the hate mail? Which team? Leicester?

I would be very surprised if any of the Arsenal fans are on the bandwagon.

He's a key player on our defense.

Alexone234

The best description of Gerrard was in the Times (i think), it said, and I paraphrase here

"When will the FA realise that Gerrard is playing chicken with peoples careers everytime he goes into a tackle. Gerrards game is based on him wanting to win the ball more than the other guy doesn't want to get hurt. Coles challenge was only as bad as anything Steven Gerrard has done, but is only a one off incident"

The Mini

No player deserves hate mail, unless they've caused severe injuy on purpose (*coughs* Keane *coughs again*).

reggiepaul

No player deserves hate mail. No players deserves to be hated.

...and Leicester is an absolute dive. Like Berkshire, Northamptonshire, in fact that whole region from the west of London up the M1 to Leicestershire is riddled with reject Londoners.

I'm not surprised.

:lol:

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
COLE DREADS HENRY ORDEAL

Dec 21 2003
Exclusive By Paul Smith

ASHLEY COLE admits he would have sleepless nights if he had to face Thierry Henry.

And he is praying Henry doesn't make a mug of him when England take on France in Euro 2004 in Portugal.

Cole said: "To be honest Thierry is different class. In my mind there is no better striker in the world at the moment. I would hate to face him in a competitive game for fear he would make a complete mug out of me.

"He's so hard to defend against. I swear he takes it easy in training for fear we might all lose our confidence.

"Marking him is near impossible. His pace is devastating - I don't think I've ever come up against a player with so many attributes."

But Cole will be forced to live out his worst nightmare this summer. And he added: "I don't envy anyone who has to defend against Thierry because he can destroy you.

"It would help if you could work out the way he plays, but it's impossible, believe me.

"Of course the game against France will be massive for England and I see no reason why we should go into it with any fear when you look at our recent results.

"But I know I will have to be on top of my game to compete with Henry on that day."

Source: Sunday Mirror

Adam

Established Member
Gary Neville and Terry will have mostly the harder time (depending on who plays RB and RCB).

Arsenal Quotes

In 1997/98 we became English champions as I had set myself three missions to carry out which I felt were essential. One: to have an impact on the result and the team's playing style. Two: to foster the player's individual development. Three: to strengthen the structure of the club and enhance its global influence.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom