• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Declan Rice: Cooking Again

Dokaka

AM's resident closet Arsenal fan
Vieira's dribbling and passing from deep was quite a step above Rice, that's why Paddy was such a unicorn player for us...he didn't get great numbers because we had Dennis getting the final ball, but Vieira could find him from pretty much anywhere.

Defensively, there's probably not much difference to be honest...but you are pretty severely underrating his on the ball stuff, was an amazing playmaker in his own way.

All I said was they're very similar players in their strengths and weaknesses. Got no problem with rating Vieira's strengths a bit higher than Rice.

I'm not really underrating his on ball attributes, he was a more tidy passer than Rice but he also played in an era where mistakes/turnovers weren't seen as catastrophic so he attempted more risky passes. His stats reflect that, turned over the ball a decent amount but everyone did so back then so it's not even a slight on him, he was just allowed to try more if you get what I mean.

Just gets a bit tiring when everyone from back then gets gassed up while current players are just inferior in every aspect. Rice is coming off a 15 G/A season while doing immense defensive work yet his attacking game is so underplayed that you compared him to Martial ffs.

Farzad

Stormy's Lifetime Fan and Subscriber #1 🫶🏽

Player:Havertz
In terms of playing style, strengths and weaknesses, what separates Vieira and Rice?

That's ridiculous :lol: Rice was one of the first names on the team sheet in the best Arsenal team since the Invincibles, there isn't much separating them.

As I said, Vieira has 10x the career and is for that reason well clear of Rice in terms of his legacy etc, but they do very similar things on the pitch. Vieira wasn't an elite playmaker, as much as your nostalgia might want that to be the case, but he was an unreal physical force with amazing defensive instincts and world class off the ball movement. His main attacking threat was his bursting runs from deep.

Again, this isn't a debate worth having anyway as I'm fighting nostalgia and a career's worth of achievements. You're lying to yourself if you don't think they operate on the pitch in very similar ways though.
I actually agree with you, he had a great season and chipped in with big goals and assists, which was not expected from him. Viera has a whole career; if Rice plays like this or even gets a tad better and wins league or CL with Arsenal; he is in the conversation with Patty V. I would still always take Patrick; he was a bigger psychological presence for both teams on the pitch. But Rice can have that type of career if he leads Arsenal to big trophies like Patrick did. I had high expectations; he exceeded them this season, but he has to deliver more to be bandied with Viera

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

I'm open to Rice possibly being superior to Gilberto in some areas because if we are honest Gilberto got phased out by Wenger for not quite suiting the technical team Wenger was building at the time.

I'm not tryna see Rice and Paddy in any convo together though, that's a bit jarring. They are tall robust guys who play in similar areas this is as far as is goes.

I want to like these current players but it gets really difficult when these kids are constantly put next to genuine winners for club and some cases country at every opportunity. Furthermore, best team since invincibles - since when did this become facts? The points tally? @Dokaka

Dokaka

AM's resident closet Arsenal fan
Furthermore, this is not the best team since invincibles - since when did this become facts? The points tally? @Dokaka

The points tally, the eye test, the advanced stats, the run to finish the season. I think many things point to this being the best team since then. Not saying it's not up for debate but the team is clearly up there and is the best IMO.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Superb posting from Macho as per, although...

I'm open to Rice possibly being superior to Gilberto

700a6e255a60c0eaaa18b4969529bb16.jpg

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

The points tally, the eye test, the advanced stats, the run to finish the season. I think many things point to this being the best team since then. Not saying it's not up for debate but the team is clearly up there and is the best IMO.

There's a big debate about this in another thread so I am not going into it - but in short I think it's laughable tbh.

I know you guys really really like this team and they are nice guys, but no they still got some ways to go and they aren't as sick as often made out sorry. I don't care that they laced Sheffield utd and this version of Burnley, or that they cry on pitches at the end of league games that's no basis to hail these guys the way many do.

I'm on a tangent now anyways, Rice is cool - but yeah for now he's just cool. Even me putting Rice name next to Gilberto after 1 season at Arsenal is crazy I already regret it. 100m+ he runs around and tackles big f*cking whoop man.

Riou

How to make @Riou turn on any player:
1. Compare them to any player during the 200-2008 period
2. Done

Maybe when one of them lifts one of these...

received_765534789061180.jpeg

...then I will allow the comparison and won't turn against them 🤷‍♂️

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Think I saw some stuff of Kai and Bukayo crying as well, seemed a little much for me.

The title was gone probably by Villa and definitely after City beat Sp**s,players shouldn't be crying I think as they should have come to terms with it by now...a bit too Son-esque.

Bruh how are you judging these guys? They have to have a certain mentality to win as many games as they have you don't just give up before the final day of the season when we were still mathematically capable of winning the EPL title.

Had City lost and this lot couldn't be arsed to win against Everton you'd be ragging them for that as well "oh we thought the title was gone brev" isn't gonna cut it.

Riou

Bruh how are you judging these guys? They have to have a certain mentality to win as many games as they have you don't just give up before the final day of the season when we were still mathematically capable of winning the EPL title.

Had City lost and this lot couldn't be arsed to win against Everton you'd be ragging them for that as well "oh we thought the title was gone brev" isn't gonna cut it.

I am not saying give it, I think to get to the top in sports you have to believe you still have a chance no matter how small...I just think crying was a bit over the top under the circumstances.

Be disappointed sure, but it isn't a blunt trauma today as we have had quite a while to prepare for City probably winning the title.

At the end of the day this is a moot point, tbh ..I just thought it eas a little OTT, but I am more focused on how we bounce back to win next year.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

I am not saying give it, I think to get to the top in sports you have to believe you still have a chance no matter how small...I just think crying was a bit over the top under the circumstances.

Be disappointed sure, but it isn't a blunt trauma today as we have had quite a while to prepare for City probably winning the title.

At the end of the day this is a moot point, tbh ..I just thought it eas a little OTT, but I am more focused on how we bounce back to win next year.

Have you ever competed in pressure scenarios? Because if you had you'd fully understand. You can't have any room for doubt in your mentality until its all said and done and then when it is...it hits you. Like a f.cking train.

At that point the emotions are coming out whether you like it or not.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Rice and Vieira are very similar players tbh. Same strengths, same weaknesses. Obviously one has 10x the career as things stand but Rice is 25, still time.

I kind of agree with some caveats. Vieira had the much better close control and dribbling and literally did tee ups over opposition players. But Rice in someways makes up for that with the way he carries the ball is also very impressive. They're both remarkable at protecting the defence and winning the ball back. But Rice has the far better disciplinary record, never getting a red card and only picking up 31 yellows in 241 PL games. Where as Vieira had 8 red cards and 76 yellows in 307 games. I actually think Rice is the better long passer of the 2. Vieira has the better goals/assists per game, but Rice is clearly upping that side of his game himself this season.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

I kind of agree with some caveats. Vieira had the much better close control and dribbling and literally did tee ups over opposition players. But Rice in someways makes up for that with the way he carries the ball is also very impressive. They're both remarkable at protecting the defence and winning the ball back. But Rice has the far better disciplinary record, never getting a red card and only picking up 31 yellows in 241 PL games. Where as Vieira had 8 red cards and 76 yellows in 307 games. I actually think Rice is the better long passer of the 2. Vieira has the better goals/assists per game, but Rice is clearly upping that side of his game himself this season.

Hard to say right now anyway we've seen the very best of Vieira and he was more combative B2B than DM anyway. Regardless of any of that, to even be compared to a PL great like Vieira is a ridiculous compliment and who knows if Rice finds an extra level he may even be considered one himself one day.

Arsenal Quotes

The biggest things in life have been achieved by people who, at the start, we would have judged crazy. And yet if they had not had these crazy ideas the world would have been more stupid.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 2

Fulham have made Emile Smith Rowe a priority this summer and are ready to bid for him [Mike McGrath - The Telegraph]

Arsenal have scouted Las Palmas goalkeeper Alvaro Valles as they prepare to part company with Aaron Ramsdale [Ryan Taylor - The Mirror]

Arsenal have set a deadline of two weeks to complete the signing of Benjamin Šeško [Sky Germany]

Napoli striker Victor Osimhen is expecting an offer from Arsenal [Gazzetta]

Latest posts

Top Bottom