• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Douglas Costa

FinnGooner

Established Member
This would obviously free up Sanchez from right winger role and make him a clear striker option.

On the left - Podolski, Cazorla, (Özil)
On the right - Walcott, Douglas Costa, (Cazorla)
In the middle - Sanchez, Giroud, Sanogo, (Walcott)

I would say that is really good depth for the 3 attacking positions. We could also play Sanchez as SS with Giroud which would allow us to adjust our formation for different situations.

Brotherz

Costa can also play through the middle.
Costa is a very unselfish player from what I've seen, he would do well here.
Don't forget, some of our attacking options are getting on a bit now, best to replace them earlier than last minute.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Unfulfilled potential, hit and miss at Shakhtar.

I'm surprised at the negativity though, Costa is still young and Wenger might see a big improvement in him.

Wenger has been linked in the past, and Costa is versatile too.

Iceman10

Established Member
stiiphunn said:
arsenalfan4ever said:
Not a major improvement on what we have. Would be the worst signing if we get him.
I've never seen this guy play - why wouldn't he be an improvement?

Could be wrong but I suspect some are double guessing impacts on the budget and therefore other potential signings, e.g. for CDM, even though all indications are that we are bringing one in.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Our attacking options aren't that great, Theo gets injured every season, Cazorla was poor last season, Podolski is just an end product machine, adds nothing to the general play, Giroud struggles against the top teams, and then it's to the kids.

Only Sanchez is a great attacker.

juice man

Can't make his mind up
Mudi said:
This seems to me that Shaktar wants to sell him and no big club is actually interested. Therefore, spreading false alarm to lure Tottenham or Liverpool to buy him.

Smart play actually!

BTW, if we are going to buy a LW, I think that Wenger would go for a much better option than Costa.
I thought he was a right sided and central attacking midfielder? Can he play on the left too?

Chappers

Is he quick? I'd assume he's good/great technically but we need another pacy winger so that we have 4 wingers who can hurt teams on the break. If we sign a DM and Costa, we'll need to offload one non-homegrown from the squad. This would most likely mean Joel's off?

juice man

Can't make his mind up
GDeep said:
He can play on the left, yes. Seen him in of the Champions League games play there.
Cheers.

If Wenger thinks he is good enough, I'm all for it then. Another talented (and versatile) option to our attack.

Iceman10

Established Member
Chappers said:
Is he quick? I'd assume he's good/great technically but we need another pacy winger so that we have 4 wingers who can hurt teams on the break. If we sign a DM and Costa, we'll need to offload one non-homegrown from the squad. This would most likely mean Joel's off?

Loan to AC Milan to make way is what some rumours are but I don't know if he would be ok with that. Logically you would bring in a 23 year old Costa, send Joel out, and then re-evaluate at the end of the season as to whether Joel is ready or should be sold, and also if there is an ageing / poor performing AM that can be sold. Tbh, if Joel is sent out on loan again I don't think he will return. At the moment this is all far fetched re. Costa, not sure if there are any sources that can be considered reliable reporting it.

Chappers

I still think this is a strange rumour and he'd be overpriced for more than €20m. Not very productive and has seemingly stagnated. Very big talent and highly regarded a couple of years ago so might need a new challenge to reach his potential.

Pies

GDeep said:
He can play on the left, yes. Seen him in of the Champions League games play there.

Yeah either side, plays a lot down the right side cutting in as well. Useful player. We need those attacking options.

This is a bit of a surprise, but given the circumstances in that region I could see it being possible. I guess we'll see. I personally think we are not going after any traditional CFs anyway, so we need plenty of these type of attacking players.

Bigbludfire

Established Member
Brotherz said:
@FootballDave01: CONFIRMED: #Arsenal have held discussions today regarding the transfer of Douglas Costa. Deal could be completed by the weekend.

<a class="postlink" href="https://twitter.com/FootballDave01/status/488701729408835584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://twitter.com/FootballDave01/stat ... 9408835584</a>

Come on man, it took me less than 5 seconds to realise he's a **** talker

Sannei

I'm not into this potential transfer as I think he's good not that good.

I do think we need another attacker in the squad as after Sanchez, Walcott the list of our options on the wings and upfront starts going down based on things like pace, movement, goals dribbling etc. But unless we are buying someone on the level of say Reus, Sanchez I would like to at least give Chamberlain more time on the wings to see how he plays there and develops.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Still get a dodgy vibe about this rumour, sort of link you can see go really quiet in a couple of days.

Other than Di Marzio, no one credible has touched it.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
I remember when Man Utd were heavily linked to Douglas Costa, he was making a lot of noise back then, he's not really been the player a lot imagined he would be by now.

That said he has a very good base of talent to build on, could see Arsène moulding him into a fantastic player. I think this may just further confirm Arsène's intention to use Sanchez through the middle though.

arsenalfan4ever

Established Member
stiiphunn said:
arsenalfan4ever said:
Not a major improvement on what we have. Would be the worst signing if we get him.
I've never seen this guy play - why wouldn't he be an improvement?

He hasn't crossed more then 7 goals in a season. His last season stats are 7 goals and 2 assists in 39 games. Poor for an attacking player in any position. I can understand low number of goals if you have a decent number of assists. Assists? What assists? But this is a poor record. 23 years old or not. We gave a lot of stick to Theo for being an average player with MUCH better stats. Theo is only 25.

Plays in the Ukrainian league. I mean seriously, for a good player he has awful stats in such a poor league and for a team which is dominating that poor league.

Is short, only 5 ft 7 in. We cannot afford a short front line consisting of him, Sanchez and Theo.

Talking to some friends and reading a bit, he is said to be mentally weak. Something which will work great in the EPL am I right?

Will cost around £20m, which is too high for a player like him. We can get much better and more proven players then him for that money.

He is Brazilian. Brazilian of this generations are laughable. Just living on the tag of being a Brazilian.

Arsenal Quotes

I knew we were very different, that he (Ferguson) had a total hold over his club while at that time I was still more of a coach. I also recognised his huge qualities. He knew how to surround himself with the right people and didn't rest on his laurels when he was successful.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom