• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Douglas Luiz

Status
Not open for further replies.

LookingForEric

Patronize me again and I'll destroy you 😖

Lool Villa ain’t selling for 60 million. Try 100 million atleast. People haven’t learned from caicedo clubs pl clubs ain’t just gonna sell you their best player in January and end their season. Villa has a chance to get CL football

Villa aren’t selling him for £100M. Be realistic. He isn’t a Rice or Caicedo level nor does he have the hype.

If we can’t get him for £60M or less we’ll move on.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Great post this, and why I'm not super fussed about Luiz. Think he's a good player but I don't really see a "level raiser" here, think he'll just be another body unless we're looking at him to be Rice's foil/alternative - which I think is the aim here as the [redacted] seemingly can't stay fit and we need someone other than Jorginho to man the fort if the worst case scenario happens. Luiz has been in good form since Emery took over but I think we could find a more impactful player.

I actually think of the CMs we've been linked with this week, I'd prefer Amadou Onana if we're gonna go for another PL midfielder in that 6/8 mould. He'll be similarly expensive and slightly less polished but IMO there's a higher ceiling. He's big, mobile, wins duels and isn't the brute in possession he's likely to be stereotyped as being. I think there will be better fits but if I had to choose between the two, I pick Onana.
I think whoever we get, they won’t be a “level raiser”. I do think Luiz improves us though, if he can maintain his form. He’d rotate left 8 depending on opponent and be second choice 6. Same with someone like Onana, who could be a very good option.

If we’re looking at raising the level I reckon that’s getting someone who definitely starts over Havertz. Then I’d rather look at McGinn if we’re shopping at Villa. But it’s a moot point. The fee it’d take for any of their starters make this a no go from the start.

Villa aren’t selling him for £100M. Be realistic. He isn’t a Rice or Caicedo level nor does he have the hype.

No chance they accept 60m. I think they value him at 80+ given their situation and his form. And they’re right to as well.

But that’s contextual value and he’s not worth that for us, so yeah. Better to move on.

Unless.. they made some kind of agreement when he signed the extension. Not impossible given the circumstances at the time.

Only way we could get him for 70 or below imo

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

No, this season he has been way better than Caicedo. 2+3 plus 3 penalty goals in EPL, although he does give free kicks too. And overall I think he has been their best midfielder, and they are 3rd in the league.

It looks like he made only a short extension, he has 2,5 years left. If Palhinha costs similar amount of money, Arsenal has to rather try Luiz. That 2,5 year contract changes things a bit, but it still looks too expensive with the season Villa is having. I assume it would take 80+ million in January.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Been one of the best midfielders in the league this season. We could've gotten him for a decent deal before but no chance of that now.

SupersoakerArsene

Shouldn't get tunnel vision on Douglas Luiz. Far too expensive. Ligue 1 has so many good CMs that wouldn't cost too much, Le Fée, Fofana, Thuram, Caqueret, etc.
Fofana is less a footballer, but I agree a great addition. Caqueret is mid.

I also like Koné from Gladbach as CM. Or Gourna from Salzburg as CDM

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
I can't see this happening at all. Anyone we sign in January will be expected to ride the bench/rotate and wont be coming from a club chasing CL and even in a title race.

The spot that needs upgrading is as identified by everyone, the left 8 position. No way is the club buying an upgrade for the 65mil player on big wages signed 6months ago.

drippin

I can't see this happening at all. Anyone we sign in January will be expected to ride the bench/rotate and wont be coming from a club chasing CL and even in a title race.

The spot that needs upgrading is as identified by everyone, the left 8 position. No way is the club buying an upgrade for the 65mil player on big wages signed 6months ago.
Don't think Luiz will happen, but Arsenal needs long-term Partey replacement. And also Jorginho and Elneny replacements, maybe in one younger player, but I'm fine with having Jorginho in the "Elneny role" next season and let him leave for free.

It's clear Arsenal wants a hybrid #6/#8 player. The player has to be able to rotate Rice at a great level, but also play LCM for tougher games to remain happy. Luiz would fit this perfectly.

I'm certain Arteta planned Rice-Partey-Ødegaard for bigger matches (like Community Shield against City was), but Partey has been injured even more than expected. Havertz can rotate both AMF roles and ST, especially in easier and home games.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Don't think Luiz will happen, but Arsenal needs long-term Partey replacement. And also Jorginho and Elneny replacements, maybe in one younger player, but I'm fine with having Jorginho in the "Elneny role" next season and let him leave for free.

It's clear Arsenal wants a hybrid #6/#8 player. The player has to be able to rotate Rice at a great level, but also play LCM for tougher games to remain happy. Luiz would fit this perfectly.

I'm certain Arteta planned Rice-Partey-Ødegaard for bigger matches (like Community Shield against City was), but Partey has been injured even more than expected. Havertz can rotate both AMF roles and ST, especially in easier and home games.

The club needs something. I know its obvious to say but if the club genuinely want to win the title this season, then they need to add depth.

We've seen how a injury or two can throw off the entire squad.

In my opinion, someone of a high level needs to come in in either CF, CM or CB, it cant wait until the summer.

Win the title this season and then use that to build even further for next season.

The club needs to capitalise on City's poor form so far, it didnt do enough last season when the title was there for the taking, players will need to drag us over the line this year.

Cant keep leaving it til the summer in moments like this.

drippin

The club needs something. I know its obvious to say but if the club genuinely want to win the title this season, then they need to add depth.

We've seen how a injury or two can throw off the entire squad.

In my opinion, someone of a high level needs to come in in either CF, CM or CB, it cant wait until the summer.

Win the title this season and then use that to build even further for next season.

The club needs to capitalise on City's poor form so far, it didnt do enough last season when the title was there for the taking, players will need to drag us over the line this year.

Cant keep leaving it til the summer in moments like this.
For sure. I think the links to Palhinha, Luiz and Onana are encouraging along with Toney links. Onana could be the long-term Jorginho & Elneny replacement in January, and get the Partey replacement in the summer if other options are too expensive. But in France there are also a bit cheaper options like Onana.

If you don't compete for CB players in January against Real, Liverpool and Tottenham (I don't think it is wise, too expensive with the other needs), you could have other options for the rest of the season. Partey can cover RB and Rice can cover RCB if there is a top addition to DMF role. You still have Jorginho and Elneny coming back.

If after the midfielder and Toney there is more money, you could buy Hato or loan an experienced player to defence.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
For sure. I think the links to Palhinha, Luiz and Onana are encouraging along with Toney links. Onana could be the long-term Jorginho & Elneny replacement in January, and get the Partey replacement in the summer if other options are too expensive. But in France there are also a bit cheaper options like Onana.

If you don't compete for CB players in January against Real, Liverpool and Tottenham (I don't think it is wise, too expensive with the other needs), you could have other options for the rest of the season. Partey can cover RB and Rice can cover RCB if there is a top addition to DMF role. You still have Jorginho and Elneny coming back.

If after the midfielder and Toney there is more money, you could buy Hato or loan an experienced player to defence.

It definitely needs more long term planning than last season. Jorginho has his worth but this is where you just need to aim for a higher calibre of player.

Jorginho was far too mid when you need someone to come in and contribute when you really need it. Someone who has the ability to turn a tough game into a win, they dont have to be the goalscorer but someone who is solid in his position and doesnt need to be carried, ie Jorginho at times, he has a role to play but to play him effectively in his role you have to ask other players to carry a load.

Who the target or player is, I have no idea. I just imagine it will take a large amount of money to get a player that levels us up in January.

I'm not Toneys biggest fan, ideally I would want Omishen (obviously) but I still feel Toney brings us what I described above, a desire to drag the team forward on those bad days and not be a passenger.

We need more leaders and less passengers.

Its why I dont get why we didnt go in for Ward-Prowse in the summer, he may not be a world class player, but he turned up time and time again for Southampton.

drippin

It definitely needs more long term planning than last season. Jorginho has his worth but this is where you just need to aim for a higher calibre of player.

Jorginho was far too mid when you need someone to come in and contribute when you really need it. Someone who has the ability to turn a tough game into a win, they dont have to be the goalscorer but someone who is solid in his position and doesnt need to be carried, ie Jorginho at times, he has a role to play but to play him effectively in his role you have to ask other players to carry a load.
Yeah, but Jorginho was a much better buy last January than Caicedo and has performed better.
Who the target or player is, I have no idea. I just imagine it will take a large amount of money to get a player that levels us up in January.

I'm not Toneys biggest fan, ideally I would want Omishen (obviously) but I still feel Toney brings us what I described above, a desire to drag the team forward on those bad days and not be a passenger.

We need more leaders and less passengers.
I think everyone would want Osimhen rather than Toney, but there are many considerations which make me choose Toney in January, and use rest of the money elsewhere to complete the squad. But if Arsenal has a huge amount of money, then why not wait until summer and buy everyone that is needed. I just can't expect total madness.
Its why I dont get why we didnt go in for Ward-Prowse in the summer, he may not be a world class player, but he turned up time and time again for Southampton.
Ward-Prowse is a good player, but is 29 years old and cost 30 million. Arteta also mostly prefers rotation players who are able to play at least two positions to keep them happy in a top team (similar to City), and Ward-Prowse can only play the AMF roles. And there is Vieira and ESR already.

drippin

My main guy from that bunch is Le Fée, I think he's a total baller. Combative player as well.
The main need is a DMF though. Thuram hasn't played DMF much either, but at least more than Le Fee for sure.

Fofana would be the best choice, and has 1,5 years left, but I fear he goes to PSG as there are no rumours.

blaze_of_glory

Can't see Villa selling any of their important players when they are up near the top of the table, especially not to us (the best team in the league)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I play on the right, Tony on the left and we'll deal with whoever comes along, big or small

Martin Keown
Top Bottom