• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Raul's Transfer Targets: Summer 2019

• Thread starter Aevi
  • Start date
  • Replies 13,667
  • Views 1,470,406

Who would you rather have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEconomist

Established Member
It's a difficult balance to strike. Appeasing fans by making signings and appeasing academy players. Personally I'm more of a buy them ready made and sell off the academy players unless they are extra special. If they are then they'll get into the first team. As it stands with the exception of Bellerin (and most of his youth development was done elsewhere) and AMN weve struggled to really bring through players in recent years that look like they can make the grade.
Interesting point , although you might have forgotten Gnabry

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
It's a difficult balance to strike. Appeasing fans by making signings and appeasing academy players. Personally I'm more of a buy them ready made and sell off the academy players unless they are extra special. If they are then they'll get into the first team. As it stands with the exception of Bellerin (and most of his youth development was done elsewhere) and AMN weve struggled to really bring through players in recent years that look like they can make the grade.
I agree, it is a delicate balance. However, I've seen enough to believe we should be using them more rather than selling them, they are better than people realise. And I don't think our first team currently is good enough to use their inexperience as justification for never playing them either.

I think it would be smart business to sell some of them but ultimately we should be using them along with signing players and revamping the squad as a whole.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Of course we all want to see academy players become stars but it is a pretty rare thing these days. If they want to move on for first team football then we need to make the most of it.

Man City have made £160 m from mostly unheard of academy players in the last 3 years, Chelsea have been doing it for ages, it's a massive income stream that we are missing out on.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I agree, it is a delicate balance. However, I've seen enough to believe we should be using them more rather than selling them, they are better than people realise. And I don't think our first team currently is good enough to use their inexperience as justification for never playing them either.

I think it would be smart business to sell some of them but ultimately we should be using them along with signing players and revamping the squad as a whole.
I agree with you. I think Nketiah, Willock and Nelson, possibly even one of Saka/Ameachi could've played a more significant role this season.

We need to do a massive overhaul this season and I would be in favor of using quite some youngsters in the squad next year.

Keep Willock, Nelson, Ameachi (possibly loan if Martinelli is bought) as direct back-up in their positions. That should give them enough opportunities to impress over the course of the season. Possibly promote John-Jules to the first team as 3rd option as our 3rd choice will likely not get too many opportunities. I also see opportunities for academy players in both fullback positions.

Loan Smith-Rowe, Nketiah, Saka, Mavropanos to proper teams as I think their role will be too limited next season, but they definitely have the potential to make it at Arsenal.

If players don't kick on we can still sell them and a decent season on loan will increase their value.

Sell Iwobi, Chambers as they have not improved enough. Sell Bielik. AMN is on the watchlist. In my eyes he has one year left to prove he is first XI material (too inconsistent this season) otherwise sell.

I think in the coming years this list of players represents enough value for either our team or transfer income if their paths are managed well enough.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
They must have mistaken Arsenal for Manchester City thinking they would pay that much for a goalkeeper when there are other positions of need. :lol:
Especially not Neto, didn't think much of him from what I saw when we faced Valencia. We should be OK for goalies from a 1st team POV. Leno, Martinez and possibly Okonkwo. Do we need another for the 3rd spot? Not sure personally. Unless Martinez is resigned to leaving to be a #1 somewhere else.

I'm just waiting for LB links. If we're defo bringing in a midfielder, would like to see someone like Sangare coming in.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Especially not Neto, didn't think much of him from what I saw when we faced Valencia. We should be OK for goalies from a 1st team POV. Leno, Martinez and possibly Okonkwo. Do we need another for the 3rd spot? Not sure personally. Unless Martinez is resigned to leaving to be a #1 somewhere else.

I'm just waiting for LB links. If we're defo bringing in a midfielder, would like to see someone like Sangare coming in.

Yeah, if Arsenal had a chance (and the money) to sign Oblak I could see it, but spending that much on a guy who -- at best -- is no better than Leno makes no sense. Leno actually came on quite well, despite the crappy defense in front of him. Someone like the Schubert kid would make more sense and apparently Martinez did quite well on his loan.

Tomb Bombadil

Yeah, if Arsenal had a chance (and the money) to sign Oblak I could see it, but spending that much on a guy who -- at best -- is no better than Leno makes no sense. Leno actually came on quite well, despite the crappy defense in front of him. Someone like the Schubert kid would make more sense and apparently Martinez did quite well on his loan.
What do you mean spending "that much" money? They just say he has an €80m release clause and that Valencia need €42m before end of june. Says nothing at how much he will cost.

I guess he would be a lot cheaper than normal because they need money. So he might be cheaper than £20m if the rumors are true.

But still I don't think we should waste too much money on a 2nd goalkeeper. I would take Martinez as nr. 2 but if he wants move sell him and give a young talented GK a chance (buy or academy).

I'm still quit worried how we will fare in the transfermarket if we don't win the EL next week.
  • We have no DoF
  • No clear transfer strategy
  • Maybe no CL
  • In club attractivnes probably just sixth atm in PL
  • Need to get rid of players with high salaries
  • Loosing academy players / don't trust them too much

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan

VfB Stuttgart haven been linked to him, too. Apparently considered one of the best GK talents in Germany right now. Read he's considered very good on the line, 1vs1, so so at commanding the box, and still lacks ability with his feet. But he's also only 20 years old.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Potentially. Although it's fair to say Gnabry has developed into a better player away from us. And ultimately he didnt want to stay either.

Because he got game time. Think letting Gnabry leave was a massive misjudgement on the hands of the coaching staff. He hit the ground running at Bremen, then was a core player for Hoffenheim the season after, which highly suggests he was ready to break through and just needed to be put on the pitch, instead of go somwhere else to "develop" to the point where Arsenal could use him - especially as the other right wing options in 15/16 were a struggling Walcott, Campbell and Welbeck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

The English codified the rules of football just as the French perfected wine. We don't often ask an English person to come over to make Bordeaux.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom