• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Transfer Targets: Summer Holidays 2021

Which position would be your #1 priority to strengthen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

This is how it works. Everything you're saying is in hindsight. I am quite sure if we could all go back and change those windows we would. However at the time, most of the windows were seen as successful. It also doesn't help that each window was done under different regimes. With different ideas. This window is the first time that we are going on from a previous window with the same regime which is a good thing.

The funny thing is in every single one of those windows we never signed proven PL footballers. And no matter how much money a player from abroad costs you never know what you'll get when they join the PL. Aside from the supremely talented players who are usually £70M+ or Mbappe/Neymar/Haaland level players.

If anyone thought Partey offered what a 10 could offer then they haven't got a clue about football. In fact I'm quite certain you're talking out your butt on that one mate.

No way, it's etched into my brain, there was at least a couple of posters saying we didn't need a 10 because Partey could play as our most advanced midfielder in a three. It definitely was suggested that Xhaka, Ceballos and Partey would be a brilliant midfield three. I'm absolutely not making it up.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I was supportive of the signing of Partey. Torreira I did fall for the initial hype tho I admit. Heck I think I even was a fan before he was linked with us. He ended up not suiting the PL at all.

Some things are with the benefit of hindsight like HSG is saying but a lot I wasn't a fan of at the time either, certainly never to an extent that I thought we ever addressed our issues properly. Also what I'm saying is I wonder if we'll all be fooled again.
For a couple of years now I’ve been more invested in outs than ins. I’ll probably be more pissed off if we keep the likes of Elneny/Bellerin than happy if we sign a Bissouma or someone. I don’t trust any signing we make to be successful here, one in ten turn out good.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
You dont give someone the number one shirt after 15 games because your number 1 got injured. That is absolutely ridiculous. You continue to fight for the number one shirt until its deemed you're worthy of taking it on. Especially when Leno had the season he had, he was one of our players of the season.
Someone who holds such high position,
watching him day in and out in training, cannot figure who was the better keeper after watching him for 15 matches in the main team? After a trophy win? If they can't even do that, they have no business in the role they are having and getting a fat paycheck. And what makes you think they will make the right decision on buying players from other clubs if they can't even choose the better players within the club? No wonder they end up buying clowns like Runnarson.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Someone who holds such high position,
watching him day in and out in training, cannot figure who was the better keeper after watching him for 15 matches in the main team? After a trophy win? If they can't even do that, they have no business in the role they are having and getting a fat paycheck. And what makes you think they will make the right decision on buying players from other clubs if they can't even choose the better players within the club? No wonder they end up buying clowns like Runnarson.

Are you serious? I think they're both on the exact same level. Considering where we've been in the league this season Leno has actually conceded less goals than Emi.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Are you serious? I think they're both on the exact same level. Considering where we've been in the league this season Leno has actually conceded less goals than Emi.
Goals conceded:
Martinez 41 in 35 matches. Leno 36 in 33 matches.
While we are at it, let's look at other stats, considering that Martinez had one bad outing where Villa conceded 7 goals.

Martinez vs Leno:
15 vs 10 cleansheets
128 vs 80 saves
4 vs 11 punches
37 vs 12 high claims
15 vs 6 catches
0 vs 1 red card
You have the audacity to say that both are on the same level? 😀 Even AM experts were totally against selling Martinez giving clear reasons why he was the better player. Too bad that the clowns at the club didn't know it.

I understand that you worship Arteta and the top brass at the club. But you don't have to support everything that they did. As things stand, Martinez vs Leno is a no-brainer. It was a mistake and it would be good for the club to look back and take a retrospective view of what went wrong there. If it was some goalkeeping coach's decision, it's time to fire him and get a new one. Especially after the Runnarson debacle. If they do that, I myself will start supporting them. Instead if they are too stubborn to admit the mistakes they made, I don't see how they are going to improve. We will get similar results, probably finish two positions better because there is no Europa League to distract us

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Goals conceded:
While we are at it, let's look at other stats, considering that Martinez had one bad outing where Villa conceded 7 goals.

Martinez vs Leno:
15 vs 10 cleansheets
128 vs 80 saves
4 vs 11 punches
37 vs 12 high claims
15 vs 6 catches
0 vs 1 red card
You have the audacity to say that both are on the same level? 😀 Even AM experts were totally against selling Martinez giving clear reasons why he was the better player. Too bad that the clowns at the club didn't know it.

I understand that you worship Arteta and the top brass at the club. But you don't have to support everything that they did. As things stand, Martinez vs Leno is a no-brainer. It was a mistake and it would be good for the club to look back and take a retrospective view of what went wrong there. If it was some goalkeeping coach's decision, it's time to fire him and get a new one. Especially after the Runnarson debacle. If they do that, I myself will start supporting them. Instead if they are too stubborn to admit the mistakes they made, I don't see how they are going to improve. We will get similar results, probably finish two positions better because there is no Europa League to distract us

We are talking about two fantastic keepers. I'm not quite sure why you're trying to belittle one or the other, one stayed, one left. Its not ****ing rocket science.

Also on your stats Emi has faced around 60 more shots than Leno this season. So his amount of saves will obviously be more. However save to shot ratio wise they're almost identical.

The only area Martinez is better at than Leno is from crosses. And even then I think Leno has improved in that area this season. In terms of goals conceded from corners I believe Villa are up there near the top this season.

Anyway, pointless arguing with someone who simply slaughters every decision the club make. This was a fairly easy one to figure out, two top keepers and Martinez didn't want to fight for his spot. It's really that simple.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
We are talking about two fantastic keepers. I'm not quite sure why you're trying to belittle one or the other, one stayed, one left. Its not ****ing rocket science.

Also on your stats Emi has faced around 60 more shots than Leno this season. So his amount of saves will obviously be more. However save to shot ratio wise they're almost identical.

The only area Martinez is better at than Leno is from crosses. And even then I think Leno has improved in that area this season. In terms of goals conceded from corners I believe Villa are up there near the top this season.

Anyway, pointless arguing with someone who simply slaughters every decision the club make. This was a fairly easy one to figure out, two top keepers and Martinez didn't want to fight for his spot. It's really that simple.
Leno is a good keeper. But Martinez is the better one. I just showed you stats to prove that Martinez is better in shot stopping and confidently going for the ball.

In case you don't understand the maths, let me explain. If save to shot ratio is same, Leno would have conceded less number of goals than Martinez. But that's not the case. Essentially, Martinez has faced 50% higher shots but conceded same number of goals per match and also has more cleansheets. Plus, he has done way better in coming forward and collecting the ball.
I do get behind some decisions like buying Partey, Tierney and I do believe buying Gabriel was a fantastic move. But our goal keeping decisions have be ****e for quite awhile and so I wanted to understand who is behind these decisions. Again, RUNNARSON! Hope that explains my take on this.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Leno is a good keeper. But Martinez is the better one. I just showed you stats to prove that Martinez is better in shot stopping and confidently going for the ball.

In case you don't understand the maths, let me explain. If save to shot ratio is same, Leno would have conceded less number of goals than Martinez. But that's not the case. Essentially, Martinez has faced 50% higher shots but conceded same number of goals per match and also has more cleansheets. Plus, he has done way better in coming forward and collecting the ball.
I do get behind some decisions like buying Partey, Tierney and I do believe buying Gabriel was a fantastic move. But our goal keeping decisions have be ****e for quite awhile and so I wanted to understand who is behind these decisions. Again, RUNNARSON! Hope that explains my take on this.

I stopped reading after you decided to be ridiculously patronising. Adios.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
not even really about who is better now but if we lose both within 12 months someone has really ****ed up

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
No way, it's etched into my brain, there was at least a couple of posters saying we didn't need a 10 because Partey could play as our most advanced midfielder in a three. It definitely was suggested that Xhaka, Ceballos and Partey would be a brilliant midfield three. I'm absolutely not making it up.
Partey was a great signing IMO and it allowed ESR to break through. Replace Granit Xavi with a top class signing and you will see a brilliant 3 next season.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Definitely someone's account on here trolling.
I think we might go for a CB like Vestergaard
Champions League Omg GIF by UEFA

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
any chance we stick to 3 man defense?
think it suits many of our players, especially helpful in our D, with Saliba and Gabriel suited to it, having Mari/new cb as a more composed leader of 3.
2 workhouses in front ala Partey Bissouma, Tierney as Lwb also able to give different dimension as LCB...
Saka could play both sides and do brilliantly, always being one who has more freedom for offense.
Even Pepe could flourish, not being stuck to wing but actually playing as forwaed alongside the striker, something Lautaro does so well for Inter

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
any chance we stick to 3 man defense?
think it suits many of our players, especially helpful in our D, with Saliba and Gabriel suited to it, having Mari/new cb as a more composed leader of 3.
2 workhouses in front ala Partey Bissouma, Tierney as Lwb also able to give different dimension as LCB...
Saka could play both sides and do brilliantly, always being one who has more freedom for offense.
Even Pepe could flourish, not being stuck to wing but actually playing as forwaed alongside the striker, something Lautaro does so well for Inter

No chance imo, the long term plan is 433.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Goals conceded:

Martinez vs Leno:
15 vs 10 cleansheets
128 vs 80 saves
4 vs 11 punches
37 vs 12 high claims
15 vs 6 catches
0 vs 1 red card

Yep. You only have to look at Sky Fantasy which is based on clean sheets, saves etc all the things you look at to judge a keeper. Emi is the top PL keeper, he's been there all season.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
I am pro Martinez, always been, but it is not the same to be at Arsenal or Villa and then compare the numbers.

Martinez's numbers are probably better then most keepers in Europe, yet....what does it really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Right from his very first match, when Patrick Vieira was as yet unknown to the English public, he showed just how talented he was. No one disputed his ability, and he gave me the credibility and the hold over the club that I needed to take it in the direction I wanted. He and Emmanuel Petit became a duo that would remain forever etched in the memories of Arsenal fans.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom