• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Considering Transfer Targets: Summer 2022 🛒

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 14,044
  • Views 969,505

If we only make one more signing, which would you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
I think we will really regret not going for Guimaraes, he is exactly what I am describing. He is solid enough to help out defensively, decent physically, good passer and chipped in with 5 goals in 1/2 season.

Paqueta would be my number one choice, good all rounder and has scored 1 in 5 (41 in 200 games) over his career.
Yeah some of the decisions our club do/don't make are really concerning..

Guimaraes would have slotted in perfectly here. If they, after watching him closely for a while, decided to pass, that's a concern. They can't see quality or they did but passed anyway.

Who knows, we might well have been in for him properly but he just decided to join the Newcastle project. I find that unlikely but who knows. He didn't even cost that much! Instead we have Elneny.

This club. *sigh

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Phillips imo isn’t that player. Not creative/all action enough. Rice might be?, but not even sure on him. Bellingham sure but uncertainty about short term contribution due to Bundesliga tax.

I’d prioritise the creative side and look at the likes of Aouar, Tielemans, Paqueta, etc. Tielemans actually had very good defensive stats last season but people have forgotten because of recency bias. I’d go for Aouar but that’s down personal preference
I like Phillips a lot. And for me getting another proper DM should clear priority... but let's park that for a minute because with Lokonga & the Elneny renewal it doesn't seem likely.

An Fbref comparison of Aouar, Tielemans and Zinchenko is interesting. I ran it for the 2020/21 season but it's basically the same picture for last year as well. Didn't look at Paqueta because he's awesome and it's depressing that we're not linked.

Anyway, they all have different strengths and weaknesses as you'd expect. I prefer Tielemans (in midfield) out of that group. He had significantly better defensive numbers than the other two, for both years and when you break out international appearances separately as well. Weakness is his overall passing accuracy, especially for longer passes. If he can pick up his form he's a tremendous player. Aouar's the most creative but weaker defensively (which worries me). He's a decent dribbler and passer as well and obviously a really good player but the stats are from a weaker league.

Zinchenko doesn't really stand out apart from his passing which is excellent at all ranges. Id be happier with him at LB than attacking 8 although he's got quick feet and is versatile enough.

benjamin86

Established Member
I've reached that conclusion because we need way more goals to challenge the top 4 properly, roughly 15-20 as well as much more creativity and Bissouma provides neither.

Don't get me wrong with a Bissouma, Partey pivot we would be solid as hell, doubt we would barely ever lose a midfield battle but without creativity and goals I think we would still struggle to scrappy wins relying on set pieces and clean sheets like we have this year.

They would be fantastic together if we had a Kane/Son or Salah/Mane level partnership up front but we don't and won't.

I think we need an all rounder, someone who is going to be acceptable defensively, share some of the creative burden with Ødegaard and chips in with 7-8 goals, Bissouma nowhere near fits that description for me.
A Bissouma and Partey pivot would be reminiscent of Liverpool 19-20 with Henderson, Wijnaldum and Fabinho in their midfield. Obviously, we don't have the quality of Salah and Mane up front but I think it could work well enough to get top 4 with Saka doing the Mane role and Jesus or someone body new doing the Salah role.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member
Watch this lot rest on their laurels all transfer window again and wait till were two defeats down to rock up with Morata and some unknown midfielder from Scandinavia at the end of the transfer window,

There's players out there who are available that can drastically improve our squad that we could have wrapped up by now if we were about our business, but we're not, we have a bunch of amateurs behind the scenes (Edu, Garlick, Vinai) who have no contacts and are throwing darts at a board with pictures of players on it, ****ing joke.

Goonger

Watch this lot rest on their laurels all transfer window again and wait till were two defeats down to rock up with Morata and some unknown midfielder from Scandinavia at the end of the transfer window,

There's players out there who are available that can drastically improve our squad that we could have wrapped up by now if we were about our business, but we're not, we have a bunch of amateurs behind the scenes (Edu, Garlick, Vinai) who have no contacts and are throwing darts at a board with pictures of players on it, ****ing joke.

That's a post for August if we've done nothing mate, not for the end of May.

Goonger

We say this every summer but we always leave it late.
Same drivel every year aren't you lot tired of saying "wait till the end of the window" by now, for us not to be ready every season, the ****e is tiring.
We do but if we're going to moan about it every day when we aren't out of May yet we're in for a long *****y summer!

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
A Bissouma and Partey pivot would be reminiscent of Liverpool 19-20 with Henderson, Wijnaldum and Fabinho in their midfield. Obviously, we don't have the quality of Salah and Mane up front but I think it could work well enough to get top 4 with Saka doing the Mane role and Jesus or someone body new doing the Salah role.

Liverpool didn't just have Salah/Mane, they had elite fullbacks putting in top level chance creation, which I don't think ours have in them. Also Henderson is a better long passer than those 2

TornadoTed

Established Member
Liverpool didn't just have Salah/Mane, they had elite fullbacks putting in top level chance creation, which I don't think ours have in them. Also Henderson is a better long passer than those 2
Totally agree. Pretty much all systems boil down to 5 attacking/5 defending.

Most of Fergies Man Utd early teams 442 - 2 strikers + 2 wingers + one attacking midfielder
Current Liverpool 433 - Front 3 + TAA and Robertson
Current City 433 - Front 3 + de Bruyne and Silva
Current Sp**s and nearly every Conte team he has ever assembled 343 - Front 3 + 2 wingbacks

Our fullbacks are nowhere near as good at attacking as TAA/Robertson or Perisic/Hakimi for example so I feel the system that suits our squad the best is front 3 + 2 x 8's

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

never really been a fan of Morata & no idea what wages he commands... but that price tag seems to be getting pretty low now

if a club can land him for 20-25m could be getting good value for the 20 goals / assists he seems to reach every domestic campaign
He has been on loan for a while. Atletico wanted to get rid so bad that they accepted loan with option. Juve don’t want the option dnd Atletico don’t want to keep him. I’m convinced if clubs wait they can get him for less than 10 million. But he really is a trash player

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
Totally agree. Pretty much all systems boil down to 5 attacking/5 defending.

Most of Fergies Man Utd early teams 442 - 2 strikers + 2 wingers + one attacking midfielder
Current Liverpool 433 - Front 3 + TAA and Robertson
Current City 433 - Front 3 + de Bruyne and Silva
Current Sp**s and nearly every Conte team he has ever assembled 343 - Front 3 + 2 wingbacks

Our fullbacks are nowhere near as good at attacking as TAA/Robertson or Perisic/Hakimi for example so I feel the system that suits our squad the best is front 3 + 2 x 8's
Arteta seems to want a hybrid of elite Pep & Wenger teams.

So far he's had to set up his teams to suit the players at his disposal, rather than having a clear system & buying players to put in it. Ramsdale, White & Ødegaard gives an indication of what his vision is/was, but we still had to make it up as we went along due to not having the strikers to complete the puzzle.

Next season we should hopefully see exactly how he intends us to play.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

So far he's had to set up his teams to suit the players at his disposal, rather than having a clear system & buying players to put in it. Ramsdale, White & Ødegaard gives an indication of what his vision is/was, but we still had to make it up as we went along due to not having the strikers to complete the puzzle.

Are you saying..? Trust the process… :shivering:

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah

I think we already have a basic idea of what Arteta wants us to do, and that is to push up and hold possession higher up the field, and create overloads through both central areas and on the flanks.

I think you are right in the Wenger description especially, and that is using intricate passing and movement to break down a compact low block.

If you remember the United game at the Emirates, it was a demonstration of what we are trying to build towards. We pushed up and when we kept the ball and were able to continuously put pressure on them, we created high quality chances due to being compact and having the numbers. At the same time, we werent able to keep the ball and were thus at risks of counter attacks, as we saw asI well.

This is why a number 6 and quality number 8 is a must in the summer for starters, to give us that ability to keep and recover the ball high. Add to that forward players who can help overload the midfield by dropping deeper (Jesus), combined with a player who can do more with lessor space to work with (Tammy). Gnabry and Nketiah are both bonus players. One being able to ruthlessly attack space, and the other having the energy and tactical nous to force defensive mistakes due to pressure.

If we can work on this going into next season, we are taking a massive step forward.

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
Yes, yes he is.

And we should all agree with him!
Haha, well I can see what we are trying to create, am just hoping we get the right signings over the line so we can see it all come together.

The question is...when does a process stop being a process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I can really see the light. I’m telling you I’m very positive most of the time. I’ve seen the light and I can see bright lights. There can be bumps in the road within that light, but I can see a lot of light.

Mikel Arteta

Latest posts

Top Bottom