• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu’s Transfer Targets: Summer 2023

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,523
  • Views 745,467
Status
Not open for further replies.

Legend14

Established Member
I think Rice IS the 8. What you get with Rice though is that signing him pretty much covers 2 positions, both 8 and 6. Caicedo is more the long term replacement for Partey I think. If we get Rice, plus an 8, then ESR's career here is finished. Caicedo can also cover as an inverted RB which I think is also a consideration by the club.
Rice is the 8, backing up 6
Caicedo would be 6.
Partey can backup 6 or 8.
Jorginho backup 6

That’s a lot of cover for 6.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
We suffered defending. Caicedo improves us significantly. Rice is a better defensive player than Xhaka.

Better to get two great players than waste 60m million on a lightweight AM and CB.
Can’t create greatness signing mediocrity for the numbers.

I’d be happy with three sure thing signings in this window and keeping rumoured exits like Tierney and Xhaka.

Holding better not freaking play again and then have Arteta say there was nothing he could do. We know we can’t rely on Tomy is always hurt. Can’t rely on Holding he stinks. We were told White can play two positions well not anymore now that Mik has him playing RB he will never play inside again to cover for injuries. If his team collapse a third season in a row. Don’t play any injuries excuse sad songs

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
Interesting that there aren't any more noises regarding Tielemans. It seemed we had some sort of agreement at one point to sgn him in the summer but those rumours seem to have cooled. Must have seen better options elsewhere it seems. Or was there something they didn't like about him as the season progressed?

Gunners1616

If we don't act fast for Caicedo and Rice i would not be surprised if Chelsea signs them both.

They are gonna sell players for a fortune. Mount + Kovacic alone might get them 100M. And if they sell Havertz to Madrid they will have tones of cash.

Unlike us they know how to sell. They are already refusing 30M£ from Brighton for Colwill...

RCL is also going to Milan for a nice fee.

They gonna be coming hard for our targets for sure.

DuBB

Haven’t seen Caicedo play 8. He is a good athlete so maybe. Then again, haven’t really seen Rice play 8.

I don’t look at whether a player has or hasn’t played a position to think if they can play it for us.

It’s more important, to me, to look at the things we require from a position (how our players already play it) and whether the prospective player does those things, whatever position they already play in.

Which is why it’s very easy to transpose Rice’s game from a 6 to and 8, and suddenly you can see how he’d do what Xhaka did plus bring more, such as ball carrying, which Xhaka can’t do. Take Rice’s game and have him start it 20-30 yards further forward and he makes complete sense. He already stop and breaks up play, patrols predominantly the left side of West Ham’s pitch, passes through the lines and drives forward when he sees a gap. Sounds like what we need our Left 8 to do.

Similarly, Caicedo as an 8 would bring different qualities, with a few of those things ramped up, and few of those things ramped down. For example, the way we ask Ødegaard to press on his side can be also replicated on the left if you played Caicedo there, but where you have Ødegaard pressing with the express intention of cutting off and dictating the opponent’s passing lanes, Caicedo pressing can result in more duels and active engagements (tackles) because he can actually tackle.

That sort of thing. That’s how I look at things and how you can see the versatility and adaptability in a player.

Legend14

Established Member
I don’t look at whether a player has or hasn’t played a position to think if they can play it for us.

It’s more important, to me, to look at the things we require from a position (how our players already play it) and whether the prospective player does those things, whatever position they already play in.

Which is why it’s very easy to transpose Rice’s game from a 6 to and 8, and suddenly you can see how he’d do what Xhaka did plus bring more, such as ball carrying, which Xhaka can’t do. Take Rice’s game and have him start it 20-30 yards further forward and he makes complete sense. He already stop and breaks up play, patrols predominantly the left side of West Ham’s pitch, passes through the lines and drives forward when he sees a gap. Sounds like what we need our Left 8 to do.

Similarly, Caicedo as an 8 would bring different qualities, with a few of those things ramped up, and few of those things ramped down. For example, the way we ask Ødegaard to press on his side can be also replicated on the left if you played Caicedo there, but where you have Ødegaard pressing with the express intention of cutting off and dictating the opponent’s passing lanes, Caicedo pressing can result in more duels and active engagements (tackles) because he can actually tackle.

That sort of thing. That’s how I look at things and how you can see the versatility and adaptability in a player.
With that said, Partey should be a better 8 than 6. Not sure why its not being considered as well.

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
Id say it's probably too much for him, in the sense that the increased coverage of the pitch & intensity required would be too much strain for his muscles & he would be out injured more than he has been so far.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I think Chelsea's FFP requirements will give us a chance to beat them to Caicedo.

I also think the club knows how important those signings are for us, and will get them done.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I think Chelsea's FFP requirements will give us a chance to beat them to Caicedo.

I also think the club knows how important those signings are for us, and will get them done.
They’re selling loads. They won’t have any FFP issues.

Kovacic, Mount, Loftus-Cheek and Havertz are all off to begin with.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

We not gonna sign rice and caicedo. This is Arsenal. Not Chelsea

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
They’re selling loads. They won’t have any FFP issues.

Kovacic, Mount, Loftus-Cheek and Havertz are all off to begin with.

Mount and Loftus cheek probably fix their ffp issues in one go. Academy players that will be all profit in the accounts. They signed Kovacic for £40m 4 years ago so anything over £8m will be profit (£8m left on the books). Chelsea will be fine.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Chelsea currently having bit of disadvantage because of lack of CL football and thier future unclear i dont think they gonna spend heavily. And players will likely go to other clubs

ArsenalInMyHeart

This is your brain on ITK addiction
Chelsea currently having bit of disadvantage because of lack of CL football and thier future unclear i dont think they gonna spend heavily. And players will likely go to other clubs
I don't know if we want to get both Rice and Caicedo. But I think Caicedo signed the new contract with a clause which allows him to leave for a club with the fair price, so maybe no bidding war. If we are serious with Caicedo, we can get him because we will play at CL in the next season

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
I don't know if we want to get both Rice and Caicedo. But I think Caicedo signed the new contract with a clause which allows him to leave for a club with the fair price, so maybe no bidding war. If we are serious with Caicedo, we can get him because we will play at CL in the next season
They'll try for Caicedo because its Chelsea i still think Caicedo will chose better club. If Chelsea got Ugarte not sure they'll need Caicedo.

Sparrahork

I see it that if juve and Napoli come calling most would join juve. A team on their downers right now but in recent history finishing higher, also more likely to offer bigger wages.

Between arsenal and Chelsea it is a closer call but similar situation. I think a lot will depend on how many players Chelsea move on, a worry to some extent is they appear to have no qualms selling to rivals. Quite possibly a good call by them to do this as the market is simply not there abroad.

DuBB

With that said, Partey should be a better 8 than 6. Not sure why its not being considered as well.

Partey on a good day is a better 6 (for how we play) than any of the options. His ability to snap into a challenge, read play before it happens, and then release the ball at odd angles in an instant is second to none. Especially that last part. Some of his passing angles are insane and they don't make visual sense until after he's played the ball. You can't even see the angle watching it from a distance.

When he's on his game he's special. A 1 of 1.

But Partey on a bad day is probably better used as an 8 than a 6. When he's off, he's 1 or 2 seconds too slow on the ball, takes bad touches, plays shaky, and gets dispossessed easily so you don't want that right in the heart of the midfield, but you can carry it further forward.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
I see it that if juve and Napoli come calling most would join juve. A team on their downers right now but in recent history finishing higher, also more likely to offer bigger wages.

Between arsenal and Chelsea it is a closer call but similar situation. I think a lot will depend on how many players Chelsea move on, a worry to some extent is they appear to have no qualms selling to rivals. Quite possibly a good call by them to do this as the market is simply not there abroad.
It because we don't bother competing financially we lost too much players because of us afraid matching what Chelsea offers. I think history wages play part but currently if im young player I'd chose Arsenal manutd and Newcastle ahead of Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

My job is to give people who work hard all week something to enjoy on Saturdays and Wednesdays

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Thursday, May 23

Arsenal have agreed to part ways with midfielder Sambi Lokonga following talks with the player [Evening Standard]

Arsenal are likely to be priced out of a move for Sporting Lisbon’s £86m striker Viktor Gyokeres [Football Insider]

Arsenal are considering a move for Feyenoord GK Justin Bijlow as a replacement for Aaron Ramsdale [Sam Dean - The Telegraph]

Newcastle manager Eddie Howe is keen to reunite with Ramsdale if the club can make an acceptable offer [Sam Dean - The Telegraph]

Ajax LB Jorrel Hato remains the club’s top defensive target [Charles Watts]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom