• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu’s Transfer Targets: Summer 2023

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,523
  • Views 737,993
Status
Not open for further replies.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I think we get Rice done certainly within the next month. Don’t think we get Caicedo as well, that’s for the fairies.

Question is do we get another midfielder and if so what type? Gundogan is strongest rumour right now but who are the alternatives?

Other than that my guess is the focus will be on defenders to replace Holding and Tierney.

I’m doubtful we buy a winger tbh. Martinelli, Saka, Jesus, Trossard, Nketiah, Nelson, that’s six forwards. For my money Nketiah and Nelson aren’t at the required level at all but the club seems to think different.
I guess it depends how Mikel views Nketiah and Nelson, I think he sees them as backup rather than rotation options. He is far more like Klopp in that repect, liking a consistent first XI, only making changes when forced rather than a rotator like Pep.

In that role they are probably good enough, but it really is gambling on your top players being fit and available for 50 games a season.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I guess it depends how Mikel views Nketiah and Nelson, I think he sees them as backup rather than rotation options. He is far more like Klopp in that repect, liking a consistent first XI, only making changes when forced rather than a rotator like Pep.

In that role they are probably good enough, but it really is gambling on your top players being fit and available for 50 games a season.
What’s the difference between rotation option vs backup?

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

Our currently out of contact reality though...

wn3g45vqtjsl0vn6junx.gif

TheEliteMaster100_

Turns up only when we lose
Trossard has shown that he is better as a False 9 than playing wide on the left. He was also horrific when playing on the Right wing.

Nelson is also better on the LW, much more direct and dangerous than when he's on the right wing (combination play focused).

So we either deputise Gabriel Jesus on the Right wing like his time at City ('Wingsus era') and sign an actual striker. Or we spend that money instead on a left-footed Right winger to provide competition for Saka (Olise/Diaby).

I don't think Jesus/Trossard/Nketiah is enough for Knockout football in Europe when the margins are thin and we need someone to bail us out. Trossard barely often gets into goal scoring opportunities which is shame given how he's our best ball striker of all the attackers in our team.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Yeah but at least he admits that he is not ITK so fair play👍
Anyone with half a brain always knew he is just sum random little fella from the subcontinent with time on his hands to retweet other info.😁
Karthik is a good egg. Can’t blame him for our online weirdo fanbase harrassing him constantly as if he is ITK

Sparrahork

To me caicedo looks the better prospect, however it becomes a much closer call when you weigh in with the statement of signing the future England captain. Add to that how tight sided is caicedo, can he play on the left as an 8 as I get the impression rice can.

Then there is the Brighton roll of a dice argument (do we get a trossard, wanyama or cucarella?).

Finally other than looking at 6 and 8 positions what other roles can they do, caicedo can do RB but could be do lb? Rice played CB when he was younger and would be an upgrade there on holding if need be.

I still hope we sign both, we clearly need two midfielders if we let xhaka go, possibly three if we mistakingly let jorginho go too.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Trossard has shown that he is better as a False 9 than playing wide on the left. He was also horrific when playing on the Right wing.

Nelson is also better on the LW, much more direct and dangerous than when he's on the right wing (combination play focused).

So we either deputise Gabriel Jesus on the Right wing like his time at City ('Wingsus era') and sign an actual striker. Or we spend that money instead on a left-footed Right winger to provide competition for Saka (Olise/Diaby).

I don't think Jesus/Trossard/Nketiah is enough for Knockout football in Europe when the margins are thin and we need someone to bail us out. Trossard barely often gets into goal scoring opportunities which is shame given how he's our best ball striker of all the attackers in our team.

Trossard only played on the right once if I remember correctly against Leeds and thought he was Ok there, got an assist for GJ. Actually thought he looked better there than his usual performance on the left. He’s definitely best centrally though.

Sulosky

Ferran Torres could be a potential alternative to the top. Experience in the Premier League and after a weaker season in Barcelona could be a relatively affordable option. Played under Arteta in the past and is apparently keen to return to the Premier League.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Seems like we are not really in the race.

Hope we are fully focused on Moises.
Hopefully we are not opposed to matching the 3 years that Barcelona are offering.

I'm not sure why he wouldnt take that Barca deal, he has already won trophies in Bundesliga and PL so moving onto Laliga makes the most sense for him but maybe he wants to stay in England and Arsenal will offer him 3 more years in this league.

Getting Rice and Caicedo would basically cost us our entire budget. If we pay 90m for Rice then Brighton will want a similar fees for Caicedo and they will hope for a Chelsea and Arsenal bidding war over him, Caicedo's agent will also ask for an arm and leg when it comes to wages so dont think we will get him.

TheEliteMaster100_

Turns up only when we lose
Ferran Torres could be a potential alternative to the top. Experience in the Premier League and after a weaker season in Barcelona could be a relatively affordable option. Played under Arteta in the past and is apparently keen to return to the Premier League.

Why must we constantly go back to players who've had relationships with Arteta or Stuivenberg?

Goonerfaz

I wonder which player A-M would pick if they could only get one: Rice or Caicedo. Should be a poll.
I would personally go for Caicedo without hesitation. I believe Arsenal would greatly benefit from having Caicedo on their team. While it would be fantastic if we could acquire both players (although I have my doubts), if I had to make a choice between the two, Caicedo would be my preference.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
Everyone wants to buy the prettiest thing but if you look at Man City what’s been most impressive about them is their defence. Stones, Akanji, Ake and even Walker aren’t players you’d normally consider top defenders but Pep Guardiola has made them top defenders. Stones has been with them for 5 years but only looked good in recent seasons. It’s not all about signings, it’s also about improving what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

What does Arsenal mean? It means class. The structure of the Club, everything has a classy feel about it. It isn't always about success, there is more than that and this is what makes it a cut above the rest.

Charlie Nicholas

Latest posts

Top Bottom