• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Elano

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Wenger tempted to make move for Elano

Author: Andrew Allen
Posted on: 22 December 2008 - 16:31
Category: Football
Comments: Be the first to comment

Manchester City’s out-of-favour midfielder Elano has emerged as a surprise January transfer target for Arsenal.

It is thought that Arsène Wenger is considering a six-month loan deal for the Brazilian international with a view to a full-time contract in the summer. The 27-year-old who signed on at Eastlands in 2007 in a deal worth £8m, is already the subject of approaches by Lazio and Espanyol after Mark Hughes made it clear that the player would not be staying in the North West.

With worries mounting over the fitness of Cesc Fabregas, following his injury in the weekend’s clash against Liverpool, Wenger has stepped up his quest to find suitable experienced cover and is prepared to offer the tricky midfielder an opportunity to prolong his stay in England.

Renowned for his slide-rule passes, tight dribbling skills and goal-scoring prowess around the 18-yard line, the 27-year-old has gained experience at the highest level of the game and is well aware of the physicality of the Premier League.

Known to fit Wenger’s stringent player criteria, Elano already has a favourable record at the Emirates Stadium having scored twice for Brazil against Argentina in a friendly in 2006

Barcelona’s Yaya Toure and Standard Liege’s Steven Defour also continue to be linked with a move to North London but Wenger rejected media reports that either Andrei Arshavin or Carlos Tevez would be making big money moves.

Given Wenger’s thrifty reputation and his desire not to stunt the long-term development of talents such as Aaron Ramsey, Jack Wilshere and Mark Randall the loan move for Elano could be the perfect solution.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/11614/Wenger_tempted_to_make_move_for_Elano_.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/11614/Wen ... lano_.aspx</a>

TomasCR

Established Member
But this deal has something to do with Toure, no? I´ve heard City want to by Toure for £10m. Don´t know about Elano, have never been interested in him actually, let alone to watch Everton because of him but every decend player is an imporvement at the moment.

If it´s just a loan, why not.

Feet

Elano on a 6 month loan makes sense if Cesc is genuinely going to be out till atleast March. We don't need to buy someone to cover his absence, we just need someone to cover that 3 months or so, a loan is the best solution and Elano would hopefully step up to the challenge like he did in his first season at City.

Elano is like a temp. I would welcome this if it actually occurred.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Feet said:
Elano on a 6 month loan makes sense if Cesc is genuinely going to be out till atleast March. We don't need to buy someone to cover his absence, we just need someone to cover that 3 months or so, a loan is the best solution and Elano would hopefully step up to the challenge like he did in his first season at City.

Elano is like a temp. I would welcome this if it actually occurred.

But I would rather have Elano permanently. That guy's a genuinely good player, he's very versatile and can play in the wings too. Not sure why Hunges thinks Benjani and Vassell deserves to be in the squad more than Elano... it's evidence that Hunges doesn't seem to know what to do with City. I can't believe that I used to hope for this guy as Wenger's replacement.

asajoseph

Established Member
Elano's a flake. Very gifted player, but so, so hot and cold.

Good player, but I'm not sure he's the sort that's going to take our season by the bootstraps.

Feet

Well when the choice is Diaby or Elano for the next three of four months, I know Elano is far more likely to play our wingers and strikers in if he's on form. It's a risk I'd willingly take while El Capitaine is keeping Rosicky company.

I really don't think Wenger can go out and buy another CM to cover for the lack of quality or to have another player compete for Cescs position when he comes back. He either believes that Diaby is a good enough understudy for Cesc, or he doesn't and brings someone in on loan like Elano to offer something different.

M+D

Established Member
As a last resort he'd be alright I suppose, but that's about it. He would ideally play in a 5 man midfield imo (meaning sacrificing one of our few quality players in Ade or RVP), or go on the wings (and he isn't exactly suited to that role) because I don't think I've seen him play in a proper 4 man midfield before (someone who has seen him successfully play with only one midfield partner perhaps can enlighten me if I'm wrong about this). And like Asa said, he is inconsistent as well.

There's so many better players available that I don't see why we would turn to him as an option. Not sure there is a "proper" source linking him with us either btw.

asajoseph

Established Member
Whilst Elano's by far the more gifted technically, I even prefer Bullard over him - more versatile, but more importantly, much more heart.

True Gooner

Established Member
Who would you guys rather sign Elano or Arshavin?

I'd rather have Elano because Arshavin doesn;t look like the kind of player that would fit into our system. Plus Elanos more likely to come in and make an instant impact.

Tris

Probably Elano, he's adapted pretty well to the league, can be pretty classy, probably cheaper, is a good set piece taker and is very versatile.

Arsenal Quotes

Play for the name on the front of the shirt and they’ll remember the name on the back.

Tony Adams

Latest posts

Top Bottom