• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL | Hull City v Arsenal | 17th of September at 15:00 (GMT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Ospina,Mustafi, Holding and Gibbs should play. I don't know who will play RB. I'd play Özil out of his slumber behind Akpom and Lucas. I'm not sure that we have the quality of yester year to play the reserves and progress. I want some first teamers on the bench and it a chance for others to stake a claim to a first team squad place.

Fair points.... Gabs may claim a role as well vs Forest. Debuchy, if fit, will be the RB. Too bad Ramsey is not totally fit would be a good game for him.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
The average age of the board seems to have dropped once the Lobby was disbanded. Seems like a lot of teenagers/uni students around here but that's online forums in general.

carlito'sway

Established Member
I think the Coquelin - Cazorla partnership (both decent players in their own right but don't complement the team) was one of the biggest problems in Paris. We'll agree to disagree on that. I was angry and I find it worrying that we still started with Cazorla and Coquelin after what happened against Southampton and PSG.

It may work against a newly promoted Hull City but as I said before: I don't see it as a long term solution. All the pessimistic comments were absolutely justified.

The facts are not on your side and are proving so far that the pessimistic (most people would call them toxic) comments were not justified. That is it!
Both players have been really good lately and I already mentioned the obvious issues in my last post (Özil missing, Ox was ****..). Blaming Paris on Coq is just looking for a strawman. I have been one of the most vocal fans of Xhaka here but I have to admit today that Coq performance was terrific and he deserved the start. That is basic fairness.

Last edited:

Proof

Established Member
The facts are not on your side and are proving so far that the pessimistic comments were not justified. That is it!
.Both players have been really good lately.
Blaming Paris on Coq is just looking for a strawman. I have been one of the most vocal fans of Xhaka here but I have to admit today that Coq performance was terrific and he deserved the start. That is basic fairness.
I'm not impressed with what I have seen from the Coquelin - Cazorla partnership. I didn't solely blame Coquelin for our CL display. If you liked what you saw in the Southampton and PSG game from them, then there's nothing to talk about.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
I think it's alright to be a bit concerned about the midfield pairing as well as some aspects of team selection and the fact that we're still not as clinical as we should be. This is the most competitive league in the world and it's these little things that can be the difference between lifting that trophy in May and not. Having said that there is a lot to feel good about. Iwobi seems as though he could be on the Bellerin track to being an impact player every week. Xhaka has looked excellent whenever he's played and is probably our most versatile midfielder since Paddy. I don't understand how anyone could be anything less than excited by these things. Mustafi very much reminds me of Kos and I think their partnership will eventually be excellent. I'm as critical of Wenger and the board as anyone and I believe justifiably so because I want the absolute maximum from our club but I think we're on the right track and it seems silly to harp on the negatives when there seem to be more positives these days. With that said if Xhaka isn't starting against Chelsea I will pull my effing hair out.

carlito'sway

Established Member
I'm not impressed with what I have seen from the Coquelin - Cazorla partnership. I didn't solely blame Coquelin for our CL display. If you liked what you saw in the Southampton and PSG game from them, then there's nothing to talk about.

I already made my points about the PSG game and our issues there. Forgot to add that Mustafi, a player I really like, had a shocker there (and let Bokani run by him today for Hull penalty). So as I said, Coq is being scapegoated there, and this is from someone who is not his biggest fan.
So far, it is a pretty satisfactory MF pairing in my views and most neutral observers.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Good win, seems the team is finally starting to click. Sanchez up front worked today, although Hull's defending was atrocious throughout the game.

Mustafi had an improved performance, same with our midfield. Iwobi is brilliant, the perfect Wenger-winger. Quick, sharp passing, great movement and an eye for goal. Looks like a quicker Pires.

mug

wump
I really like our centre def. Mustafi and Koscielny are a great pairing. Both are high quality. Mustafi even has some nice, deep pass ability.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
It's the best we have played for a while and it was great to watch. As usual Santi and the French Gattuso played very well. Iwobi MOTM for me, If he hadn't already cemented the LW spot he certainly has now.

My only concern is Monreal's form this season has been no where near the standard he was last season. Monreal positioning this season has been nearly as bad as Bellerin.

carlito'sway

Established Member
It's the best we have played for a while and it was great to watch. As usual Santi and the French Gattuso played very well. Iwobi MOTM for me, If he hadn't already cemented the LW spot he certainly has now.

My only concern is Monreal's form this season has been no where near the standard he was last season. Monreal positioning this season has been nearly as bad as Bellerin.

Love the "French Gattuso" nickname..... :lol:
Actually, Nacho was better today, one thing that has been mentioned though during the game, Iwobi needs to learn to track his FB and also have a better defensive stance. His angles are terrible and he is being beaten (pace, dribble) too easily.

Last edited:

SuperGoon

Debbie Downer

Player:Saka
Anybody know who was rewarded the goal in the end? Iwobi or Sanchez?

Cruel on Iwobi not to get it, tbh.

marc-in

who would you like to see play in midfield in the tough games ?

while cazorla is a brilliant player and is crucial to our game due to our managers lack of tactics we always seem to outplayed in the middle, i think coq and xhaka would prevent that from happening...

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
who would you like to see play in midfield in the tough games ?

while cazorla is a brilliant player and is crucial to our game due to our managers lack of tactics we always seem to outplayed in the middle, i think coq and xhaka would prevent that from happening...
I think Xhaka is good enough to anchor the team by himself. There are only a handful of teams in the world that we really need to play negatively against. I would rather see Xhaka with one of Ramsey/Cazorla/Elnenny than Coq in the majority of the big matches. We've got a pretty good back 5 now. There's no good reason to play so conservatively and sacrifice possession and creativity by playing Coquelin. We actually do our back 5 more of a disservice in that respect by needlessly giving up the edge we should almost always have in midfield. Thus far it hasn't stopped us giving up chances and at times we've been overrun by vastly inferior midfields because Cazorla doesn't have the legs and Coq doesn't have the passing range to justify their partnership. Maybe against teams like City and Barca we could justify a Coq and Xhaka partnership but I want to see us on the front foot taking games to other teams. 9 times out of 10 we should have the superior midfield to whomever we're playing with Xhaka and whomever partners him on the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Dennis Bergkamp is the club's unconditional idol, a perfectionist whom I never saw make a careless technical move.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 18

Arsenal‘s interest in Ivan Toney has waned. It is unlikely he will join this summer and neither will Alexander Isak, with the club no longer interested at his £120m price [John Cross - The Mirror]

Benjamin Šeško will cost €65m this summer [Sky Sports Germany]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom