• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Fabregas Is A Forward Now

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
it was quite obvious that it was down to instructions, the question is why we are doing it.. It seems like Wenger got this one wrong. if he doesn't trust the forwards enough to be a threat without having to play our best player "out of position" than he really should have bought a striker in the january window.

doesn't this change coincidence with Rosicky and Nasri being played on the wings, with Arshavin or Bendtner as the only fit striker? maybe he's trying to compensate the lack of threat offered by the forwards by getting cesc closer to goal.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
I don't think he's a forward per se, but he probably does play and stay too far forward at times and certainly should assume a greater defensive role.

outlaw_member

Established Member
krengon said:
maybe he's trying to compensate the lack of threat offered by the forwards by getting cesc closer to goal.

This is exactly the reason. It's a compromise for our blunt attack.

ricky1985

Established Member
I think Sabre has every right to be pissed off about the situation Fabregas, and as a result, the team currently find themselves in. Wenger has got it wrong with regards to his recent structuring of the team in the biggest month of our season, injuries have definitely played their part, but results (and performances) clearly show he's got it wrong nonetheless.

We've taken our best player, in fact in my opinion, the League's best player, and put him in a position where he can only be half as effective, and as a result of that switch-around, weakened another area of our team in centre midfield. It makes no sense.

Captain

Established Member
He recieved the ball in space, with time more than often enough to influence the play against Porto. His form has dipped and these sound like the words of a man frustrated with his performances, as he should be.

And no, being an advanced midfielder in a 4-3-3 doesn't mean that you have to think that you are bergkamp. As I said elsewhere, it is a waste of a position.

justinmitchell

sabret00the said:
"I'm playing in a more advanced position than I am used to."
Re. chelski 2009? Manure 2009? The last 10 games of 2008/2009?

Whats the difference? Oh right, Nasri isn't DM.

But he did have a stint at CM against Porto.

I woke up at 6.30 to see that match and I was way less than happy to see Nasri at CM. :evil:

ricky1985

Established Member
Captain said:
He recieved the ball in space, with time more than often enough to influence the play against Porto. His form has dipped and these sound like the words of a man frustrated with his performances, as he should be.

And no, being an advanced midfielder in a 4-3-3 doesn't mean that you have to think that you are bergkamp. As I said elsewhere, it is a waste of a position.
Captain, he is playing as a second striker, it's beyond question. Denilson and Diaby were playing in the same line as each other, and Fabregas was virtually level with Bendtner, it's the same system we saw in the second half of last season. We've switched it around tactically in the last month or so, and Fabregas is doing a job, it's not his choosing, or him glory-hunting, or him losing discipline. He's been moved 30 ayrds further up the pitch and his responsibilities have changed as a result.

I know you don't like him, but it's not his fault, he's doing the job being asked of him, albeit not very well.

DREVAK

Established Member
I really liked what little of Fabregas in a Spain shirt I had seen in the past two years give or take. He played a more advanced role, but he was not a forward by any stretch of imagination. And he was good in that role. So I don't think him playing farther upfield is a problem in itself, rather than the execution of this in the current team and setup. With Spain he attacked the opposition's defense, with Arsenal the team moves forward, comes to a halt, and passes around.

justinmitchell

thegame24 said:
He is playing as a forward because benter and eduardo are pretty useless.
Thats what you get playing two players whos best position are CF & SS in a 4-4-2 as CF respectively in a 4-3-3.

Come on. RVP/money bags were the only players capable of playing that role and it took RVP an awful long time to warm to it. :shock:

thegame24

Established Member
justinmitchell said:
thegame24 said:
Thats what you get playing two players whos best position are CF & SS in a 4-4-2 as CF respectively in a 4-3-3.

Come on. RVP/money bags were the only players capable of playing that role and it took RVP an awful long time to warm to it. :shock:

Bentdner is useless in 4 4 2 aswell, for someone with such a big head i expect goals.

Eduardo is useless full stop, only played well with adebayor who carried him.

ade and rvp even in 4 3 3 are about 2 levels above those two.

Captain

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
Captain, he is playing as a second striker, it's beyond question. Denilson and Diaby were playing in the same line as each other, and Fabregas was virtually level with Bendtner, it's the same system we saw in the second half of last season. We've switched it around tactically in the last month or so, and Fabregas is doing a job, it's not his choosing, or him glory-hunting, or him losing discipline. He's been moved 30 ayrds further up the pitch and his responsibilities have changed as a result.

I know you don't like him, but it's not his fault, he's doing the job being asked of him, albeit not very well.

Disagree entirely but we have gone over this already.

Like I said the last time, if Wenger actually believes it is a good idea then he should leave. Don't really need a lecture on what Cesc should or shouldn't be doing thanks.

sabret00the

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
Captain said:

I think it was Capi that pointed out (in another thread) that at one stage, Fabregas was playing on the shoulder of the defenders and told Bendtner to drop back into midfield. Says it all really. I hoped it was just a spur of the moment thing/a moment of madness but it seems that he was playing the role he was given.

justinmitchell

thegame24 said:
justinmitchell said:
thegame24 said:

Bentdner is useless in 4 4 2 aswell, for someone with such a big head i expect goals.

Eduardo is useless full stop, only played well with adebayor who carried him.

ade and rvp even in 4 3 3 are about 2 levels above those two.

The combination of Eduardo/Vela and Bentdner was much like RVP/Money bags at a junior level - they both suited one another and could create a ridiculous amount of chances.

Now all three are being played out of position and we're hating on them for not scoring a zillion goals between November and Feb.

thegame24

Established Member
chances against who? carling cup mediocrity?

Id take baptista over these two, had he been given a pre season hed probably out perform both.

Captain

Established Member
sabret00the said:
I think it was Capi that pointed out (in another thread) that at one stage, Fabregas was playing on the shoulder of the defenders and told Bendtner to drop back into midfield. Says it all really. I hoped it was just a spur of the moment thing/a moment of madness but it seems that he was playing the role he was given.

I'm more inclined to believe that when Cesc went forward and told Bendtner to drop in for him, it is a sign that we shouldn't actually be playing with two right up top (otherwise he would point to the other centre-half as that is how the marking would go).

That's just nit-picking now anyway; we aren't that low on strikers that we need to play Cesc in the forward line. Okay, he was out against Porto but we have arguably the best no.10 in the league playing on the left, Bendtner is a proper second striker, even Nasri is more familiar with that role.

Everything Cesc has said there is exactly what I said about why he can't play that position in the thread about him replacing Bergkamp; it's insane to take your best midfielder out of what you know is a weak area of the pitch and tell him to play as a forward. Frankly I don't believe that Wenger is that stupid, I believe that there is a misunderstanding there, but if he is then his time is up.

justinmitchell

thegame24 said:
chances against who? carling cup mediocrity?

Id take baptista over these two, had he been given a pre season hed probably out perform both.

I'm not sure who is was in the CC when Bendtner hit the post numerous times.
But when he played with Vela/Eduardo, especially in the FA cup and occasional league games he looked good with another fox-in-the-box. Looked bloody awful with RVP/money bags though. Loved how he came on for money bags last season though, awesome stuff. :D

thegame24

Established Member
he will never be on "money bags" level. Awesome stuff is when "money bags" made him look like a mug at city of manchester lol.

Arsenal Quotes

When we won the title on May 3-rd by beating Everton 4-0 as Tony Adams scored that iconic goal, we showed everyone and especially Manchester United that we could beat them. Thirteen days later, when we beat Newcastle 2-0 in the FA Cup final in the legendary Wembley Stadium, it was wonderful... I felt immensely proud for the team, for the club: this was the fantastic response I was able to give to those who had put their confidence in me, as well as those who had put me through all those difficult weeks when I first arrived.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 18

Arsenal‘s interest in Ivan Toney has waned. It is unlikely he will join this summer and neither will Alexander Isak, with the club no longer interested at his £120m price [John Cross - The Mirror]

Benjamin Šeško will cost €65m this summer [Sky Sports Germany]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom