• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Farzad musings on Arsenal, Arteta, Xhaka, Legends, Adidas stripes, London ....

Will Arteta win league with Arsenal

• Yes

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
If he won two FA cups at another team, he would have been a bonafide legend at every club in England bar Arsenal, United, Liverpool, Chelsea and City.

But at the best, you have to do more than that or at least be a legitimate world class player...we are one of the biggest teams in the league, standards should remain that way.

Goes back to my other point, so players like Pat Jennings and Liam Brady are not legends? Cause they won even less than that.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Goes back to my other point, so players like Pat Jennings and Liam Brady are not legends? Cause they won even less than that.

Not sure about Pat, might have him more as a cult hero (though it is funny how one of Sp**s best keepers, still ended up playing for Arsenal) but Brady was a genuine world class player and that's why he's a legend here, he carried the team.

He was that generation's Fabregas (except he didn't end up playing for Chelsea, so we don't need to bump him down to cult hero) he was the whole team.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
If we divide it between different categories:

Icons
Legends
Cult heroes
A player who certainly played for the club
Merchants
Thieves
Dusted players
Washed players

And finally
Finished players

I would put Granit in bracket 4, 3 if he got to win the league this year but alas

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
Not sure about Pat (though it is funny how one of Sp**s best keepers, still ended up playing for Arsenal) but Brady was a genuine world class player and that's why he's a legend here, he carried the team.

He was that generation's Fabregas (except he didn't end up playing for Chelsea, so we don't need to bump him down to cult hero) he was the whole team.

But he didn’t win anything apart from one fa cup. He even lost the community shield, which Xhaka won and was also man of the match for. Xhaka also has more appearances for Arsenal.
There are others from that era who many consider legends, yet their achievements pale in comparison to Xhaka’s. And yet they’re legends but Xhaka isn’t?
Doesn’t quite make sense.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice

It's not just based on trophies though.

John O'Shea 394 appearances for Man Utd. 5 PL titles, 2 League Cup's, 1 FA Cup, 1 Champions League.

By your logic John O'Shea must be a bigger Man Utd legend than Thierry Henry is an Arsenal one because he won more there.

But that's clearly rubbish when you understand football beyond the amount of trophies on their CV's.

Jennings and Brady are Arsenal legends, Xhaka isn't. Get over it :lol:

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
It's not just based on trophies though.

John O'Shea 394 appearances for Man Utd. 5 PL titles, 2 League Cup's, 1 FA Cup, 1 Champions League.

By your logic John O'Shea must be a bigger Man Utd legend than Thierry Henry is an Arsenal one because he won more there.

But that's clearly rubbish when you understand football beyond the amount of trophies on their CV's.

Jennings and Brady are Arsenal legends, Xhaka isn't. Get over it :lol:

John O’Shea wasn’t a starter was he? Xhaka started every game and played every minute.
You haven’t used any convincing argument to suggest why those were legends but Xhaka isn’t, so I’m putting it down to an anti Xhaka agenda.
And to suggest those 70’s players to be better footballers than Xhaka is a ludicrous opinion.

I bring that up because when I say Xhaka is a legend people always say “he hasn’t won the league”. Then when I bring those other legends up who haven’t won the league people have no good answer.

Riou

But he didn’t win anything apart from one fa cup. He even lost the community shield, which Xhaka won and was also man of the match for. Xhaka also has more appearances for Arsenal.
There are others from that era who many consider legends, yet their achievements pale in comparison to Xhaka’s. And yet they’re legends but Xhaka isn’t?
Doesn’t quite make sense.

You need to either play a major part of winning at least one league title, which Xhaka hasn't.

Or be a genuine world class player, while Granit is good he isn't great.

Possible Arsenal legends need to fulfill at least one of these criterias, Xhaka doesn't meet any of them.

You just need to let this go man, Xhaka has done well here and will be remembered well...but the more you try and push this, the more people will go too far the other way.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
You need to either play a major part of winning at least one league title, which Xhaka hasn't.

Or be a genuine world class player, while Granit is good he isn't great.

Possible Arsenal legends need to fulfill at least one of these criterias, Xhaka doesn't.

You just need to let this go man, Xhaka has done well here and will be remembered well...but the more you try and push this, the more people will go too far the other way.

So you’re saying Liam Brady was a better player than Granit Xhaka? :nope:
Mate, Xhaka played in an even worse team and won more trophies in a more competitive era, besting the most expensive sides in history (Man City and Chelsea) twice each!

My number 1 criteria is appearances. Have to have won trophies too but number of appearances comes first.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

A legend in his & @BergMan 's own minds perhaps, but that's the extent of it.

I'm working on the assumption that the other 11 who voted "Yes" are doing it for sh*ts & giggles. Because if they aren't...I can't bear the thought :lol:

Pop Tart

Established Member
Legend is one of the best players in the team, people talk about the performances they gave for years and years, the goals , the tackles etc

Xhaka has never been the best in the team or has those moments you recall off the top of the head.

No one will talk about granit in 5 years time

I quite like him as a player but he is not important enough to be a legend.

Not about trophies, Kane and noble are legend at Sp**s West ham.

We have had players that won multiple leagues, doubles who gave everything to make sure we won them.

Winning a fa cu these days does not make you legendary at arsenal because we have achieved so much more in history.

Using the community Shield is pure @Riou .

Don't be like him please, you are better then that

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
Legend is one of the best players in the team, people talk about the performances they gave for years and years, the goals , the tackles etc

Xhaka has never been the best in the team or has those moments you recall off the top of the head.

No one will talk about granit in 5 years time

I quite like him as a player but he is not important enough to be a legend.

Not about trophies, Kane and noble are legend at Sp**s West ham.

We have had players that won multiple leagues, doubles who gave everything to make sure we won them.

Winning a fa cu these days does not make you legendary at arsenal because we have achieved so much more in history.

He has been extremely important. Our most important player! Otherwise he would not have been picked to play every week by every manager.
How can you be such a main part of that midfield and not be important to the team? The midfield is the most important position in a team!
Defenders defend, attackers attack. Midfielders do both!

Riou

stewie-family-guy.gif

Arsenal Quotes

Thierry Henry was very quick at analysing everything that was going on and how he needed to react. This intelligence, this capacity to evaluate, understand and question oneself, is also the mark of great players... For everyone, for the fans and for us, he symbolised the golden age of Arsenal.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom