• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Free Transfer List - Winter 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

raidersoftheark

Established Member
Found this on RedCafe. Interesting stuff. Some of these guys could make a difference here, I would think.

Eighteen Premier League clubs could be in line to lose some of their stars this summer should they not tie them down to new contracts over the next few weeks.

Michael Owen, Michael Ballack, Tomas Rosicky and Ryan Giggs are amongst the more notable players whose contracts expire in six months' time...

Portsmouth stand to be amongst the biggest losers of 2009. After already selling key players such as Lassana Diarra and Jermain Defoe during the winter window, they could possibly lose ten players on free transfers in the summer, including rock-solid centre half Sol Campbell.

Manchester City could lose six players, the most notable of whom is highly-rated young striker Daniel Sturridge, who will no doubt have an endless list of admirers.

Elsewhere, Chelsea's midfield could be considerably depleted with the potential departures of John Obi Mikel, Michael Ballack (who could be set to sign a performance-based pay-as-you-play deal), Carlo Cudicini and Mineiro.

Arsenal are dangerously close to losing perma-crocked Czech Republic international Tomas Rosicky, and boo-boy Emmanuel Eboue.

Bolton Wanderers and Tottenham Hotspur are the only two clubs who stand to lose zero prominent first-teamers or squad players.

Below is a list of players whose contracts expire this summer:

Arsenal: Tomas Rosicky, Amaury Bischoff, Emmanuel Eboue.

Aston Villa: Stuart Taylor.

Blackburn: Tugay, Andre Ooijer.

Bolton: None.

Chelsea: Michael Ballack, John Obi Mikel, Carlo Cudicini, Mineiro.

Everton: Andy van der Meyde, Nuno Valente.

Fulham: Danny Murphy.

Hull: Ian Ashbee, Nick Barmby, Dean Windass, Sam Ricketts.

Liverpool: Sami Hyypia.

Manchester City: Michael Ball, Glauber Berti, Dietmar Hamann, Danny Mills, Daniel Sturridge, Darius Vassell.

Manchester United: Ryan Giggs, Gary Neville, Foster.

Middlesborough: Ross Turnbull, Brad Jones.

Newcastle: Michael Owen, Steve Harper, Nicky Butt, Mark Viduka.

Portsmouth: Sol Campbell, Sean Davis, Kanu, Lauren, Noe Pamarot, Herman Hreidarsson, Richard Hughes, Djimi Traore, Richard Duffy, Linvoy Primus.

Stoke: Amdy Faye, Vincent Pericard, Salif Diao.

Sunderland: Dwight Yorke.

Tottenham: None.

West Brom: Dean Kiely.

West Ham: Lucas Neill.

Wigan: Emile Heskey, Kevin Kilbane, Ryan Taylor, Henri Camara.

Wouldn't mind Cudicini as a number 2. Would love Ballack, but there's no way we could afford his wages. Does anyone fancy a punt on Sol again? From the little Pompey I've seen this season, he still looks the business.

TomasCR

Established Member
Re: Free Transfers in the Prem

How do you know all the players mentioned above will be free in the summer? I mean, where´s the proof? For example, I don´t believe Rosicky´s contract is going to expire in 6 months, but if you can prove me wrong...

asajoseph

Established Member

I was under the impression that he was out of contract in the summer too, though I also thought Eboue signed a new deal the other day as well.

Obi Mikel is the name on that list that interests me the most...

raidersoftheark

Established Member

Hyypia is also an interesting one. Might be a good stop gap if the Pool are willing to let him go. We'd have to play a deeper line to accommodate him, but frankly, we should do that anyways.

Shadow Moses

Established Member

Ballack is the name I find most interesting. I wonder why he hasn't been given a new contract. Perhaps Abromavich is really serious about cutting costs. I also heard Big Phil isn't allowed to spend the transfer money recieved for Bridge.

TomasCR

Established Member

Definitely, Mikel is one of the best DMs in the league at the moment. It would be stupid to let him go for free, but keep dreaming.

Also, the thing with Cudicini. He wouldn´t be a bad number 2, but it´s not going to happen. He is a number 2 at Chelsea and earns without a doubt more money than he would at Arsenal, so why should he leave? Unless he would become a number 1, no way!

As for Rosicky. If you´re right and his contract really expires in the summer, let´s prepare myself for it sooner or later. :( It´s going to be a long summer, ****.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.

Hyppia is the LAST person i want..

Giggs might actually retire after this season (he's hinted at it lately)

How is Obi-Mikel available this summer?

really, there are no names on that list that make me drool.. i would take Mikel since he is a decent box to box/defensive midfielder, and of course Michael Ballack is still decent (when fit), but other than that, i cant see anyone adding that much compared to what we have....

Shadow Moses

Established Member

Overrated as they come. He's no better than our Song. He's made so many mistakes this season that has lead to goals or would've led to goals if not for JT & the rest. I don't want him anywhere near Arsenal.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.

i think he's a tad better than what we have, but nowhere near an "Essien" or "M. Diarra" type player...

raidersoftheark

Established Member

Shadow Moses said:
Overrated as they come. He's no better than our Song. He's made so many mistakes this season that has lead to goals or would've led to goals if not for JT & the rest. I don't want him anywhere near Arsenal.

I sorta agree. Not too sure why others seem to think he'll be a MUCH better option. He's lucky that he plays in front of a much more unified defence and along better ball winners in midfield. Would rather just pay for a Continental with experience in Europe, but we may not have enough for that, if the Arshavin deal goes through.

Interesting that Owen is on a free, incidentally. I reckon he could do well for a better club. Don't Hull need a striker? I could see Owen banging in a few there.

Does nobody else rate Cudicini? I think he's better than Manny, and if we can guarantee him a fighting chance for the top spot here, he'd probably leave CSKA London.

Shadow Moses

Established Member

Postioning is extremely poor
He's a lousy tackler - usually leading to red cards.
He's slow
He's lazy

He's no better than Song. The only reason he looks half decent to anyone not paying much attention to Chelsea is because JT, Cech, etc paper over his deficiencies. Put him in our team with our our makeshift CBs and the clown in goal and his lack of quality will be evident.

What this team needs is a battler, a ball winning midfielder like Diarra, Flamini, Essien (if played as a dm), not a passager like Mikel.

KY

Established Member

I'm curious if anyone has any idea on the situation with rosicky. Everyone's under the impression that his contract is up but he just signed 3 seasons ago and wikipedia (i know it's as good as nothing but still...) says that the contract signed is long term. i hardly count 3 years long term...

tam1886

Established Member

Thought Mikel signed a new contract recently, or was it just talk of it?

Remember reading that Chelsea wanted to get Ballack on a performance related deal as well. Could have been paper bollocks though. I reckon quite a few of those are misleading. Danny Murphy for example only has to play two more games for Fulham before he triggers an automatic extension written into his contract. I'd bet quite a few of those players are on deals like that, perhaps the likes of Hamann.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

Eboue signed a new deal last season. He isn't out of contract in the summer. Bischoff is though. I guess it's plausible that Rosicky is too, but it sounds pretty stupid to only hand a player a three year deal when they sign for the club.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.

Bischoff signed a 1-year deal? if that's the case, then he was trying to get back to fitness and see if he can show some quality this season to be able to tie up a longer deal...

tam1886

Established Member

As far as I was aware it was a one year deal for Bischoff. Seemed like they wanted to get him fit and see what he could offer before they tied him down. It's getting to the stage where he's going to start having to impress because he's spent a while building himself up now. I think we could see him feature off the bench a bit more now, especially with our injury situation.

Glovegun

Established Member

I could see Rosicky leaving on a free actually. Id imagine he's on a decent wage and the club may want to just cut their losses. Shame IMO, because he is a very, very good player who if fit would really improve us.

Either one of Cudicini or Foster could be a possibility.

Theres no point signing Campbell back now. Personally I wouldnt have sold him in the first place. Him and Gallas would have been an interesting partnership, but not now.

tam1886

Established Member

Foster wouldn't come here. He's bored and feels undervalued at United so I don't know why he'd come here. Cudicini would take up too much in wages to be a second choice. I reckon he might actually want to play some football before he gets too old as well, he can't chase the money in this climate.

**** Campbell too. I hope they all the foreign clubs pass on him now, teach the **** a lesson.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.

so, as i said, there really isnt anyone on that list that could make me drool...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

"Surely what will be their last attack.

A good ball by Dixon, finding Smith for Thomas, charging through the midfield... It's up for grabs now! Thomas! Right at the end!

What an unbelievable climax to the League season"

Brian Moore on the Thomas' winning goal at Anfield in 1989
Top Bottom