• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

gael clichy

Mark

Established Member
hesham said:
I SAY PLAY HIM ON THE LEFT WING FOR UNITED AND REST PIRES

Why rest Pires? He's not going to play for France AND Ljungberg might not be playing. Clichy on the left and Pires on the right might be a possibility.

Jasper

There's gonna be a time when Cole and Clichy are on equal terms and will be hard to actually decide and pick between the two to start.

Legend#1

Established Member
I hope there's a future for both Clichy and Cole in the side together

Because there both amazing talents

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Clichy has been fantastic when he's come in, but right back? Let's get serious guys. He's left footed!

There's (at least) two good reasons why right backs should be right footed and left backs left footed. Firstly the way Arsenal have played for years the full backs job is to play strikers inside. If that doesn't work then their best foot is there to stop the player going outside. Tackling with the wrong foot means you'll give away more fouls in dangerous places.

Secondly, quite often when clearing the ball a full back will play it up the wing outside the opposition attacker. Playing that ball with your outside foot means it curves in and is much easier for the next player to get the ball to develop play.

But Clichy has been superb. When not covering for Cole he's sure to be on the bench and a likely sub, because not only can he beef up the defence from right midfield and also cover lb, but he could also be brought on in central midfield if needed. I see a bright future for him, but can't see him replacing Ash at left back for a good while yet.

The funniest thing is that people always bleat on about Wenger not buying British and him favouring French signings over players developed in the club, but here you've got people talking about him replacing Cole.

Feis-al

I say let the competition with Ashley make it stronger and improve both than what is happening to on the right back. I wish Hoyte developed that first and Lauren got some food for thought. However, Everyone was superb on Sunday although I still think Henry took look to Exert his inflence in the first half.

lewdikris

Established Member
Clichy's gonna be a first choice sub next season - coming on for Bobby to shore up the left wings (like Edu used to do), and filling in for Ash say 10 times a season. Expect him to play 25-30 times a year for the next few years. Then we can worry about him being a permanent left back. He's a Wenger gem.

brianfrance

Established Member
by the way, within 2 years if Clichy get his place in the starting XI, the doors of the french team are open for him. I hope so.

KingReyes

Established Member
Clichy will play many games for us. He will deputise when needed at LB and come on as a valuable sub for Pires. Where does AW find them???!!
Unbelievable....

A

Anonymous

a good player can play anywhere. clichy should be moved to right back. hes young enough to be groomed there !! would love to see him start, hes another kolo

Gunner4life09

Arsène Wenger has really found a gem in clighy, this boy is brilliant. he handles big games like he's been playing for years.

really hope he'll stay at arsenal.

KingReyes

Established Member
brianfrance said:
KingReyes said:
Where does AW find them???!!

He find him at Cannes (First club of Zidane, Viera, etc.. )

Yeh I knew that..thanks for the info anyways.
What I meant is that he seems to find talent from various places where noone else spots them.....like Clichy, Toure etc. I guess it shows we have a great network of scouts thanks to the Genius they call Wenger.

brianfrance

Established Member
Oh !

Clichy was not an unknown ! He was on the European Final under 17 years against the Suisse (Senderos too, and in Arsenal now too!!)
And as every player of the youth team of Cannes, Nantes, St Etienne, Sochaux, Bordeaux, Lens, Nancy etc... (team which need money), he was on the target of many big team.

KingReyes

Established Member
brianfrance said:
Oh !

Clichy was not an unknown ! He was on the European Final under 17 years against the Suisse (Senderos too, and in Arsenal now too!!)
And as every player of the youth team of Cannes, Nantes, St Etienne, Sochaux, Bordeaux, Lens, Nancy etc... (team which need money), he was on the target of many big team.

Interesting.. I read that Clichy left for free because Cannes were no longer a professional club because they got relegated or something!! Can you confirm brianfrance? Or someone else?

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
clockend_faithful said:
a good player can play anywhere. clichy should be moved to right back. hes young enough to be groomed there !! would love to see him start, hes another kolo

Thats cobblers really. If we played Bobby at centre half with Freddie and shoved Sol and Kolo out on the wings, there's only one (Kolo) that would thrive. I know it's an extreme example, but it was an extremely daft comment.

Arsenal Quotes

I play on the right, Tony on the left and we'll deal with whoever comes along, big or small

Martin Keown
Top Bottom