• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,775
  • Views 1,159,133

akhil

I can see us really struggling at RB if Bellerin doesn't regain consistency and I'm not a Cedric fan either. If we don't sign a young RB to compete with them, then Oyegoke is our best hope IMO. I like Swanson too but I think Oyegoke has that extra dimension going forward and is pretty quick when he gets going.

Didn't Bould say Swanson was U23s best player last season? Did very well against Leroy Sane after he came back from the ACL. What sort of player is he?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Didn't Bould say Swanson was U23s best player last season? Did very well against Leroy Sane after he came back from the ACL. What sort of player is he?
Swanson did really well last season. Balogun was our best player IMO but Swanson was very dependable and always played at least reasonably well. Not terribly quick or agile, but technically secure and dogged 1v1, and a reliable defender overall. Wins aerial duels and can step into midfield on occasion aswell. He'll have a good career IMO and may even move back to his original position (he was a CM when he signed scholarship terms).

I do think that Oyegoke is a bigger prospect. More athletic, better going forward, strong on 1v1s and skillful aswell. Also very capable of stepping into midfield.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
Not terribly fussed about Greenwood going, although I'm confused about how this affects the U23 team picture, because Balogun is probably not gonna be playing for them this season, Alfie Matthews is on trial at Palace and Plange is probably not quite ready yet for U23s.

It's a good move for Greenwood if it happens though. Technical and hard-working, think Bielsa will like him, and I'd trust him in front of goal more than Patrick Bamford :lol:.

Then again, Bielsa didn't trust Eddie over Bamford.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

...just seen this, beautiful...reminds me a bit of that Wilshere goal against Stoke from around 2008 :drool:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

...just seen this, beautiful...reminds me a bit of that Wilshere goal against Stoke from around 2008 :drool:
The one with the outside of his boot, I remember that one.

RE the goal you posted, I watched it live and couldn't believe that one went in! ESR hit a really gorgeous free kick this same season aswell. He had a really good season despite being injured for part of it.

Afro Mugo

@MutableEarth I see what you see in Cottrell and Azeez. Today I was very keen. Cottrell was very aware of his surrounding and played with a lot of energy and commitment. He always passed forward accurately. Azeez while he showed glimpses , he seemed a bit off pace though the 3 at the back , none of our first team midfielders has really looked good in it. It's also crazy how McGuiness and Ballard are so alike even the commentators confused the two.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
@MutableEarth I see what you see in Cottrell and Azeez. Today I was very keen. Cottrell was very aware of his surrounding and played with a lot of energy and commitment. He always passed forward accurately. Azeez while he showed glimpses , he seemed a bit off pace though the 3 at the back , none of our first team midfielders has really looked good in it. It's also crazy how McGuiness and Ballard are so alike even the commentators confused the two.
Yeah, I really like both players. Azeez IMO is not quite ready yet, he's like 95% of the way there but a few intangibles needs to fix. Cottrell though is a player who was always really under the radar but now I guess a few more eyes will be on him. Really technically secure, great awareness and a great attitude towards the game. I really like the idea of him at LB/LWB. He'd be a very interesting full-back IMO.

RE McGuinness and Ballard, for me I just look at the taller one and know it's McGuinness because he's nearly 6'5 :lol:. I like both guys a lot though, solid defenders who are no slouches in possession. Good potential in both players.

Afro Mugo

Yeah, I really like both players. Azeez IMO is not quite ready yet, he's like 95% of the way there but a few intangibles needs to fix. Cottrell though is a player who was always really under the radar but now I guess a few more eyes will be on him. Really technically secure, great awareness and a great attitude towards the game. I really like the idea of him at LB/LWB. He'd be a very interesting full-back IMO.

RE McGuinness and Ballard, for me I just look at the taller one and know it's McGuinness because he's nearly 6'5 :lol:. I like both guys a lot though, solid defenders who are no slouches in possession. Good potential in both players.
It seems versatility is something the academy works on a lot. It can't be a coincidence Willock AMN Saka and now Cottrell can look good in an unfamiliar positions. Speaking of Cottrell , he was chosen as scholar of the year by academy coaches so he's highly rated within. He played with a lot of courage despite his size and he just needs to look at 5'4" Lamptey to know he can make it in the PL. In the case of Azeez I feel with time the intensity in his game will come along as he plays at a higher level where he realises his talent can only do so much on the pitch against experienced talented guys .

Impact

Established Member
I think I prefer the current approach we are taking. I’ve always felt there was a better balance we could achieve with our Academy — creating a good revenue stream as well as providing players for the First Team is a no-brainer for a club seeking to be self-sustainable.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think I prefer the current approach we are taking. I’ve always felt there was a better balance we could achieve with our Academy — creating a good revenue stream as well as providing players for the First Team is a no-brainer for a club seeking to be self-sustainable.
I agree. The last few intakes have grown increasingly stronger and a lot of very talented players are going to miss out. If we develop them correctly, we can make a pretty sustainable income that can help towards strengthening the 1st team. Also, given the growing talent of our graduates, a greater portion of them could eventually become first team squad members themselves. Looking at this current scholar intake, I have huge hopes for them, particularly the defenders and midfielders. The most rounded intake in years, could produce a roster in and of itself!

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
Found these videos of Patino playing for England last April. Actually an amazing quality set of games, maybe the best youth games I've ever seen.

Does anyone know which age group this was for?
Also are there any other Arsenal players in this XI?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Found these videos of Patino playing for England last April. Actually an amazing quality set of games, maybe the best youth games I've ever seen.

Does anyone know which age group this was for?
Also are there any other Arsenal players in this XI?

This was U16 from last year at the Montaigu tournament. Dan Oyegoke was at RB IIRC, but there weren't any other Arsenal players in this group I don't think.

Arsenal Quotes

When you start supporting a football club, you don’t support it because of the trophies, or a player, or history, you support it because you found yourself somewhere there; found a place where you belong.

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom