• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,775
  • Views 1,157,612

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Great insight, thank you. How was he doing in duels? Aerially? on the ground?

Players like Gundogan, David Silva aren't blessed with particularly robust physiques but they knew how to position themselves to win their duels. Hopefully he can develop like that.

I dislike his tendency to slide into challenges.
He is gonna injure himself like Wilshere if he keeps sliding into challenges.

Afro Mugo

Great insight, thank you. How was he doing in duels? Aerially? on the ground?

Players like Gundogan, David Silva aren't blessed with particularly robust physiques but they knew how to position themselves to win their duels. Hopefully he can develop like that.

I dislike his tendency to slide into challenges.
He was Okay aerially , though surprisingly there were not as many aerial duels to be contested. We have to be very fair on the kid . Silva played as a winger/10 until he was closer to 30 .. Gundogan is actually the player he should model his game on , and at his age probably Gundogan wasn't as refined as he is today.. so we shouldn't expect Charlie to be the finished product . The only way he'll learn is through what he's doing now playing games and making mistakes.

Bucephalus

Very high on Patino right now. Always seems like u23 stars who don't make it are either physical specimens whose technical skills get caught out later on, or technical wizards who turn out not to have the body/athleticism to stand up to senior football. Obviously the latter is the concern with Patino. But his performances at Blackpool while being kicked and clattered by proper adults at the age of 20 suggests he can really make it. (For Arsenal, or for a very nice transfer fee).

Geofranco

Very high on Patino right now. Always seems like u23 stars who don't make it are either physical specimens whose technical skills get caught out later on, or technical wizards who turn out not to have the body/athleticism to stand up to senior football. Obviously the latter is the concern with Patino. But his performances at Blackpool while being kicked and clattered by proper adults at the age of 20 suggests he can really make it. (For Arsenal, or for a very nice transfer fee).
Patino is still only 18 years old. He prob would have even gone on loan at an earlier age if not for an injury that kept him out for a while when he was still 16.

Bucephalus

Patino is still only 18 years old. He prob would have even gone on loan at an earlier age if not for an injury that kept him out for a while when he was still 16.
My bad. I messed up the maths of how old someone born in 2003 is. (Happens when you get old). But I think the error makes what I said even more true. If he's standing up to the physical rigors of Championship football at 18 (yeah, 19 next week) he's the real deal.

Afro Mugo

To add onto this, the club rates him very highly. Every manager has the kind of player he likes and I think Charlie is lucky in that Arteta really likes him. I guess he sees a lot of similarities in him; technical wizards but physically not very blesser .Therefore he knows how to guide him.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
To add onto this, the club rates him very highly. Every manager has the kind of player he likes and I think Charlie is lucky in that Arteta really likes him. I guess he sees a lot of similarities in him; technical wizards but physically not very blesser .Therefore he knows how to guide him.
Is Charlie really that physically 'unblessed'? He's tall, becoming more powerful, and seems rather pacey with good acceleration and agility, to me, at least from what I'm seeing in the match compilations from Blackpool. I don't think lack of power is really going to be a big problem for him as a midfielder.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

I love that Lewis-Skelly's first action on the pitch was a crunching tackle. I'm really intrigued by him in particular. Nwaneri has such magnificent poise though (they both do). Both players should theoretically be playing U21 football more permanently this season but with likes of Smith still there and Ibrahim/Henry-Francis also still in the mix, space is cramped.

Geofranco

I love that Lewis-Skelly's first action on the pitch was a crunching tackle. I'm really intrigued by him in particular. Nwaneri has such magnificent poise though (they both do). Both players should theoretically be playing U21 football more permanently this season but with likes of Smith still there and Ibrahim/Henry-Francis also still in the mix, space is cramped.
Nwaneri looks so physically mature for a 15 year old. Like his body is sturdy, both upper and lower body. Same with Skelly, but with him it looks like he might have another growth spurt. I don't know if Nwaneri will get much taller, but hopefully he can get even more explosive.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Nwaneri looks so physically mature for a 15 year old. Like his body is sturdy, both upper and lower body. Same with Skelly, but with him it looks like he might have another growth spurt. I don't know if Nwaneri will get much taller, but hopefully he can get even more explosive.
Nwaneri looks exactly the same as a more physically developed Wishere at that age, kinda mad.

Geofranco

Nwaneri looks exactly the same as a more physically developed Wishere at that age, kinda mad.
I wonder what position he'll end up playing long-term. It seems everytime he plays as a forward for U18 he scores. He usually plays in midfield for England. His passing always looks sharp and precise. He doesn't seem much of a dribbler like Wilshere or Foden. He usually uses body feints and change of direction to beat players. His touch and link up play reminds me a bit of young Reiss Nelson. Not as quick, but his movement is more fluid than Nelson's.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
I wonder what position he'll end up playing long-term. It seems everytime he plays as a forward for U18 he scores. He usually plays in midfield for England. His passing always looks sharp and precise. He doesn't seem much of a dribbler like Wilshere or Foden. He usually uses body feints and change of direction to beat players. His touch and link up play reminds me a bit of young Reiss Nelson. Not as quick, but his movement is more fluid than Nelson's.
He looks like an attacking midfielder for me, which means in our current system he would definitely be able to play in two (or three, right attacking midfielder like Vieira will play sometimes too) positions.

Dribbling looks pretty good to me, maybe doesn't dribble as much naturally but definitely has nice close control, I watched a compilation of a performance with him for U17 and there was some real quality in his dribbling there. Let's see if he dribbles more as he gets to higher competition levels and ages and playing it simpler to resist markers sometimes isn't an option.

Geofranco

He looks like an attacking midfielder for me, which means in our current system he would definitely be able to play in two (or three, right attacking midfielder like Vieira will play sometimes too) positions.

Dribbling looks pretty good to me, maybe doesn't dribble as much naturally but definitely has nice close control, I watched a compilation of a performance with him for U17 and there was some real quality in his dribbling there. Let's see if he dribbles more as he gets to higher competition levels and ages and playing it simpler to resist markers sometimes isn't an option.
Yea the technique is clean, but he doesn't seem as aggressive with his dribbling as Wilshere and Foden. Lewis Skelly seems much more aggressive with his dribbling. I watched a match for I think Arsenal U16 it was in 2020 and Lewis Skelly was constantly carrying the ball from deep trying to advance play. He looked so physically dominant compared to the rest. Nwaneri was much smaller in the vid, it's crazy how this kids grow in such a short amount of time. But Skelly seems to have always been big and powerful for his age. Also James Sweet brother played in that game too he was also a fullback like his bro and looked very rugged.

Afro Mugo

Yea the technique is clean, but he doesn't seem as aggressive with his dribbling as Wilshere and Foden. Lewis Skelly seems much more aggressive with his dribbling. I watched a match for I think Arsenal U16 it was in 2020 and Lewis Skelly was constantly carrying the ball from deep trying to advance play. He looked so physically dominant compared to the rest. Nwaneri was much smaller in the vid, it's crazy how this kids grow in such a short amount of time. But Skelly seems to have always been big and powerful for his age. Also James Sweet brother played in that game too he was also a fullback like his bro and looked very rugged.
You've actually pretty much got it spot on. He doesn't play like Wilshere or Foden, its just that he's left footed so the comparison is easier. He is not as aggressive in his dribbling as the two but he glides on the pitch, and he is very aggressive in his movement one minute he's in the middle of the pitch the next he's already made a run past the fullback, his passing is also very very clean..its actually hard to think of a player right now .. like a mix of players.. maybe the more footage of him playing, the easier a comparison will come. but he does play like a young Reiss.

Afro Mugo

Wilshere said that in the case of Ethan, it's still important for him at his age to play with his friends at u18 level, so they are trying to find the right balance to ensure he still enjoys the game as he should at his age, and at the same time he gets to develop with u21s and the first team..It's sometimes easy to forget he's still two years younger than most u18s. Even while watching the Hale End documentary you could notice that he's always in the background , seated at the back, doesn't talk much e.t.c.

Arsenal Quotes

The English codified the rules of football just as the French perfected wine. We don't often ask an English person to come over to make Bordeaux.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom