• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gilberto Or Edu?

DLC

Gilberto Or Edu?

Recently this question, at least amongst Arsenal fans, has become the footballing equivalent of creation or evolution? This article will try and look at the issue in a slightly more mature way than the usual slanging match that follows this sort of question. In the end I hope to have come to a conclusion.

The first thing I feel ought to be mentioned is an element of trust. I am not talking about trust in terms of the players, as that will be discussed later but trust in the manager. Arsène Wenger is without doubt the best manager of modern times at Arsenal. He is in the process of taking his place alongside Herbert Chapman in the terms of greatness and historical importance, something that the move to Ashburton Grove seems certain to enhance. What I am trying to say is that whoever you prefer you have to trust the manager’s selection. The argument for this is quite a convincing one, after all we are unbeaten in the league, quarter finals of the FA Cup and on the verge of the same stage in the Champions league. However, what use would a pub debate be if it ended so soon with ‘trust the manager’. It maybe the only solution but it is no where near as fun.

One good thing about this situation is they are both Brazilian. This avoids the rather pathetic comment of “He gets picked because he is French!” or “He is English so he doesn’t stand a chance!” Also both players were brought by Wenger so there can be no argument of favouritism in that sense either. Both players are central midfielders so it isn’t as if one is been played out of position.

However, they are fundamentally different players and offer different things to the team. Gilberto is more defensive and is perhaps your more orthodox holding midfielder. He is often seen just in front of the back four or even filling in for one of them if they are out of position. He allows Patrick Vieira more freedom to go forward and support the attack. Meanwhile Edu is the more attacking of the two. His forward influence means Vieira has to stay back more often. Whereas Gilberto would break up play and pas it to a more attack minded member of the team, Edu would be more likely to attack himself or pick out a longer pass.

Having unsuccessfully hunted for some OPTA stats on the pair I found myself at Arsenal’s own site and got the following information. Now it isn’t current I will grant you, however, the information is taken from the same time for both players so is in effect fair.

Gilberto

Appearances: 22
Minutes Played: 1839

Attacking

Goals Scored: 4
Shots On Target: 14
Shots Off Target: 6
Blocked Shots: 4

Supporting

Total Passes: 197
Completed Passes: 111
Incomplete Passes: 86
Unsuccessful Crosses: 6
Total Dribbles: 2
Unsuccessful Dribbles: 2

Defending

Total Tackles: 81
Tackles Won: 47
Tackles Lost: 34
Interceptions: 32
Shots Blocked: 4
Clearances: 26
Fouls: 36

Discipline

Yellow Cards: 2

Edu

Appearances: 21
Minutes Played: 941

Attacking

Goals Scored: 2
Shots On Target: 8
Shots Off Target: 9
Blocked Shots: 4
Offside: 1

Supporting

Assists: 1
Total Passes: 124
Completed Passes: 81
Incomplete Passes: 43
Successful Crosses: 1
Unsuccessful Crosses: 4
Total Dribbles: 1
Unsuccessful Dribbles: 1

Defending

Total Tackles: 37
Tackles Won: 18
Tackles Lost: 19
Interceptions: 19
Shots Blocked: 1
Clearances: 16
Fouls: 23

Discipline

Yellow Cards: 3

Looking at the statistics we can analyse them in the following way

1. Both players have made roughly the same amount of appearance but Gilberto has been on the pitch far longer. This indicates that Edu has been used more as a substitute. Edu has been on the pitch for 49.7% of the time in the games he has participated in whilst Gilberto has been on the pitch for 92.9%. Therefore Gilberto has been somewhat of a regular and Edu has come on as a substitute but it is safe to assume that in most cases is part of Wenger’s plan B.

2. Gilberto has scored 4 goals (roughly 460 minutes per goal or one every 5.1 games). Edu has scored 2 goals (roughly every 471 minutes or one in every 5.2 games). The figures are very close and given that Edu is supposedly the more attacking of the two you would have to say that his goal return isn’t as high as perhaps it should be. Maybe that isn’t his main job but it certainly helps

3. Gilberto completes 56.3% of his passes compared to Edu’s 65.3% I found this slightly surprising; as I would have said Gilberto would do more short-range passes than his compatriot. However, his long-range efforts are more often that not off target, which may account for the value. Edu is clearly the more accurate and also has one assist compared to 0 by Gilberto. Edu has played on the left, which would explain the higher numbers in the crossing columns.

4. Neither can dribble as they both have 0% success. Although it is hard to define what a dribble is.

5. Gilberto wins 58% of his tackles whilst Edu wins 48.6% Gilberto also attempted 119% more tackles. Clearly as he is more defensive he will be in the position to tackle more readily and by the nature of the position needs to be able to tackle well.

6. Edu has conceded 23 fouls compared to 36 by Gilberto. Edu is cautioned once every 7.6 fouls and Gilberto once every 18 fouls. Those two yellow cards are his only ones of his career at Arsenal. It shows that he is very effective and the fouls he does concede he does very cleverly and doesn’t go into rash challenges. Perhaps that is his major downfall; by not being in the public eye by being booked he is not recognised as doing anything on the pitch. Edu’s value isn’t particularly worrying as it means one booking probably every two games which, given the squad player he is, isn’t that alarming.

7. Gilberto has blocked 4 shots as opposed to one, which shows he is more willing to put his body on the line. Again that is idiosyncratic with his style of play.

Of course statistics can prove anything – according to Homer Simpson 60% of people know that. As to which player is better is purely based on the style of play you want to play. Arsenal rely on quick counter attacks and getting many men forward. For a counter attack to take place you need to win the ball and for that purpose Gilberto is better. However, Edu is more likely to pick out the defence splitting pass which might be needed at the other end of the move.

Wenger traditionally favours 4-4-2 with two defensive central midfielders and that explains why he stuck with Gilberto. He wants to create another partnership like the Vieira-Petit one of the first double success. Both players have improved dramatically since they moved and especially this season and should be recognised for this.

So I started with the question ‘Gilberto or Edu?’ and I will end with it. For continuity it has to be Gilberto. However, Edu is a more than capable replacement. If you wanted to play him regularly though you may have to think about changing the tactics. A possibility might be to restrict the full backs and make them more defensive. This would make sure we don’t get caught short at the back but would mean a loss of width going forward.

The question is like ‘creation or evolution?’ As with that question there is an argument for both, potentially at the same time. Vieira and Gilberto in the centre with Edu on the left. I am not convinced that Gilberto is aright winger at all! Of course there is the small matter of Pires and then probably Reyes to dislodge first.

If you wanted me to come to a decision I would say Gilberto for continuity – it is tried and trusted.

Aussie

Established Member
Great indepth look a the situation. But im still undecided :eek:ops:
Ahh well well written.

Split

There are lies, damn lies and then there are Statistics :argue

p.s. both of them playing in a 4-3-3 formation, i like.

JazzG

Established Member
The stats are for the PL, Edu has 2 PL goals. Shall read this properly tomarrow, when I'm not half asleep like now

DLC

DLC said:
Having unsuccessfully hunted for some OPTA stats on the pair I found myself at Arsenal’s own site and got the following information. Now it isn’t current I will grant you, however, the information is taken from the same time for both players so is in effect fair.

That is how

Arsenal Quotes

When you look at people who are successful, you will find that they aren’t the people who are motivated, but have consistency in their motivation.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom