• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manberg

Predator
Who are you showing this to? Everyone knows what Xhaka is.
You should watch Pirlo videos to understand what Xhaka couldn't be even in his dreams

I'm showing it to those saying "Xhaka sucks because he does not assist". Not saying Xhaka's as good as Pirlo, but Xhaka is very good in his own right. His role is also similar to the likes of Xabi Alonso, Guardiola & Arteta (as players).

Besides, Pirlo was more limited in ways people on here criticise Xhaka for. Pirlo was far slower. As a matter of fact, I'm convinced that Pirlo wouldn't have made it in the premier league.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Özil, Xhaka and Lacazette for top 3 threads? I can’t think of any that bring as much engagement.
They are 3 most divisive players on this forum. I’ll probably add Pepe to this list next season if things don’t change. All 3 of them have quality but they often frustrate more than they deliver. I think people are done with them. It's like Wenger in vs Wenger out again. I think it's best to eventually move on from them, and everyone moves on.

RunTheTrap

I'm showing it to those saying "Xhaka sucks because he does not assist". Not saying Xhaka's as good as Pirlo, but Xhaka is very good in his own right. His role is also similar to the likes of Xabi Alonso, Guardiola & Arteta (as players).

Besides, Pirlo was more limited in ways people on here criticise Xhaka for. Pirlo was far slower. As a matter of fact, I'm convinced that Pirlo wouldn't have made it in the premier league.
Sweet baby J. Pirlo is THE ARCHETYPAL deep lying playmaker along with Xavi. That's the type of quality he sits with. If Scholes, Alonso and Carrick can play well in thr premier league, what makes you think Pirlo would struggle? Xhaka sits with the likes Mark Noble and Charlie Adam. Just because Xhaka can hit a long ball, it doesn't mean he's up there with Pirlo. Thats like me saying "Ben Arfa can dribble with his left foot and he played in the Premier League. Therefore Messi is more limited than Ben Arfa"
Huh WTF
What you said was clearly contradictory. You say Xhaka isn't better but you imply the opposite because Xhaka can play in the premier league and call Pirlo limited in comparison to him. This is world class trolling.

Manberg

Predator
Sweet baby J. Pirlo is THE ARCHETYPAL deep lying playmaker along with Xavi. That's the type of quality he sits with. If Scholes, Alonso and Carrick can play well in thr premier league, what makes you think Pirlo would struggle? Xhaka sits with the likes Mark Noble and Charlie Adam. Just because Xhaka can hit a long ball, it doesn't mean he's up there with Pirlo. Thats like me saying "Ben Arfa can dribble with his left foot and he played in the Premier League. Therefore Messi is more limited than Ben Arfa"
Huh WTF

Serie A football and premier league football are very different. In Serie A ,players like Pirlo have time and space on the ball. That's not afforded in EPL footie.

RunTheTrap

Serie A football and premier league football are very different. In Serie A ,players like Pirlo have time and space on the ball. That's not afforded in EPL footie.
But Pirlo's quality transcended Serie A. He was world class in his home league, the CL and International football. He's won every trophy he possibly could. If he wanted to go to the PL, there is enough evidence to suggest he would do well. Xhaka isn't even world class in his own league. How can you make such big statements on Xhaka and compare him to Alonso or Kroos but Pirlo is supposedly not PL quality. Give me a break.

Manberg

Predator
But Pirlo's quality transcended Serie A. He was world class in his home league, the CL and International football. He's won every trophy he possibly could. If he wanted to go to the PL, there is enough evidence to suggest he would do well. Xhaka isn't even world class in his own league. How can you make such big statements on Xhaka and compare him to Alonso or Kroos but Pirlo is supposedly not PL quality. Give me a break.

There is enough evidence of world class players of other leagues struggling to adapt to English football.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Comparing ****ing Xhaka to Pirlo, Alonso or Kroos is just deluded. But there you go.

I am happy he is playing better but he is a mid-table midfielder, either here or in the Bundesliga. This is why Herta came in for him during the winter and not Real, Bayern or Juventus...

Some posters on AM seem to be completely deluded when it comes to the quality of some of our players. Arteta says it is miles between our squad and the top squads for a reason. It is because there is. And Xhaka belongs to the group to which this applies.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
On what basis has Xhaka shown he is league winning CM? He has never been involved in a title run since he’s moved to a serious league. He’s not winning big trophies for the national team. He’s not like Özil who came from Madrid and had international pedigree. Xhaka is well below world class level so how do people make hypothetical statements that he’s a title winning midfielder let alone one you have in the squad.

Jesus, what is wrong with you people?

I'm saying he could possibly be a midfielder in at title winning team if the rest of the team were good enough and was built as a perfect complement for him, but more likely would be a squad player.

Its really not particularly controversial unless you believe he actively makes people worse.

Danny Drinkwater, Fabian Delph, Jordan Henderson, Tom Cleverly, Matic, Ramires, have all been regular contributers to title winning sides in recent years. How many of those are that much better than Xhaka?

lomekian

Essays are my thing
When did I compare Xhaka to fabregas? Did I ever say his passing is better? Or did I ever say his defending is better? Never.

If you play football in a Sunday league team, and I want to know your team better. You would describe to me:

this guy is the fabregas of our team, his strength and primary function is passing and create play. (They are the same type of player and both should primarily be judged on passing)

that guy is the flamini of our team, he does the dirty work and his primary job is to tackle and winning the ball back. (They are the same type of players and both should primarily be judged on defending)

I never compared your mates to fabregas/flamini. I didn’t ever say they are better/worse than fabregas/flamini. I’m just making an example here that they are the same type of players. So they should be judged by the same principles. How stupid can people be to not understand this?

this is the original post, I never said Xhaka is better than fabregas:

Fabregas was never the same type of player as Xhaka. Not even when he got to old to run. Far less defensively minded. Far less positionally disciplined. Far more progressive in his passing and far more effective in the opposition half.

I like Xhaka, but this just isn't helpful

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Fabregas and Cazorla are advanced playmakers in midfield. Xhaka is a deep lying playmaker who sits deeper in midfield. Learn the difference. He carries out the Arteta role, who had Song or Flamini next to him, and he’s very good at it.

Not sure I remember much Flamster & Arteta... like Xhaka, Arteta was best with the box to box version of Ramsey when he wasn't trying to be the Welsh Zidane.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Who are you showing this to? Everyone knows what Xhaka is.
You should watch Pirlo videos to understand what Xhaka couldn't be even in his dreams

What a passer Pirlo was. Mind you, defensively, he makes Xhaka look like Gilberto Silva!

RunTheTrap

Jesus, what is wrong with you people?

I'm saying he could possibly be a midfielder in at title winning team if the rest of the team were good enough and was built as a perfect complement for him, but more likely would be a squad player.

Its really not particularly controversial unless you believe he actively makes people worse.

Danny Drinkwater, Fabian Delph, Jordan Henderson, Tom Cleverly, Matic, Ramires, have all been regular contributers to title winning sides in recent years. How many of those are that much better than Xhaka?
Henderson is definitely better than Xhaka, he is worse technically but he has less flaws to his game and he has genuine leadership qualities.
Matic is twice the player Xhaka could ever dream for. He's become somewhat of a meme but peak Matic was an excellent DM, being one of the best in the country and even in his twilight years he's been an unsung hero of United's resurgence. He lets Pogba and Bruno do their thing.
Ramires is better than Xhaka, just because he was a workhorse doesn't mean he had no talent. Won Chelsea's player of the year when they won the CL and we can't forget that big goal against Barca. The rest are marginally worse but when the time came they got rid of them, just like we should do with Xhaka.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Fabregas was never the same type of player as Xhaka. Not even when he got to old to run. Far less defensively minded. Far less positionally disciplined. Far more progressive in his passing and far more effective in the opposition half.

I like Xhaka, but this just isn't helpful
Of course I know they are different type of players.One in more advanced position for shorter pass and one in deeper position for longer pass.

I’m just grouping advanced playmaker and deep lying playmaker into one category. Because they are both focus on making play and passing (just in different areas on the pitch). And should primarily be judge based on their passing/playmaking, I also group them together because defending is only their secondary job, for both positions. Both position needed a destroyer next to them.

Last edited:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Henderson is definitely better than Xhaka, he is worse technically but he has less flaws to his game and he has genuine leadership qualities.
Matic is twice the player Xhaka could ever dream for. He's become somewhat of a meme but peak Matic was an excellent DM, being one of the best in the country and even in his twilight years he's been an unsung hero of United's resurgence. He lets Pogba and Bruno do their thing.
Ramires is better than Xhaka, just because he was a workhorse doesn't mean he had no talent. Won Chelsea's player of the year when they won the CL and we can't forget that big goal against Barca. The rest are marginally worse but when the time came they got rid of them, just like we should do with Xhaka.
You just hate DLP. What’s the point to judge a DLP with the requirement of a DM or a BTB?
They can do things that a DLP couldn’t. But can they pass like a DLP? Xhaka is not a DM. He needs a DM next to him.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Doesn't that sound like Fabregas and Cazorla have played with DM's next to them and Xhaka needs the same? At what point did Xhaka come even close to their technical level so we can justify any midfield changes that will work for him? Even if we do buy a proper DMC next to him, his playmaking skills are nowhere near to what we've seen from Fabregas and Cazorla, and I would say he's not even close to what Arteta was.
Xhaka looks better now as a 4th CB when we park the bus than he will ever be as a midfielder
No one says Xhaka is as good.

But you treat him quite unfairly.

Why are you alright with having someone next to fabregas/carzola to hide their weakness and show their strengths, and not allow Xhaka to have the same player next to him, if it means Xhaka could perform well that way?

scytheavatar

Established Member
You just hate DLP. What’s the point to judge a DLP with the requirement of a DM or a BTB?
They can do things that a DLP couldn’t. But can they pass like a DLP? Xhaka is not a DM. He needs a DM next to him.

Xhaka is not a DLP either....... a DLP like Cazorla or Xabi Alonso possesses intelligence, vision and creativity that Xhaka can only dream off. Xhaka is just there to do the bare minimal rather than actually control the team from deep.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Xhaka is not a DLP either....... a DLP like Cazorla or Xabi Alonso possesses intelligence, vision and creativity that Xhaka can only dream off. Xhaka is just there to do the bare minimal rather than actually control the team from deep.

You can criticise xhaka based on the requirement of a good DLP. Because he is a DLP.

Whether you think he is a good/bad DLP is another question.

Because he is not as good as xavi he can’t be a DLP? Are there no DLP in the Sunday league? It’s just a position that you distribute the ball from deep, dictating team tempo, they have good long pass and game reading. Xhaka is that type of player.

He does play in the style of Alonso. Yes, he does. (I’m not comparing him to Alonso) A Sunday league player can play in the style of Alonso, just not as good as a player. Same position, different level. Should both be judged by the same requirements.

You can criticise him that he is a bad DLP. But you can’t say he is **** because he can’t do what a DM/BTB could do.

Last edited:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I did say before that he could be replaced if we find better player, but at the time he is a good player and an important player to us.

Who else in our team can dictate the tempo and make a Carrick/Huddlestone-ish pass?

I'm not against selling him, but at least we should have a replacement before doing so, a replacement like Tonali, who can serve the same tactical purpose.

Do you understand why managers (pre-arsenal, arsenal and international) all like to use Xhaka? He has a quality that serves a tactical purpose that only few players can replicate. Tactical details is the most important aspect of the game in a manger’s or in a sophisticated fan’s eyes.

Let me explain more on what is a tactical purpose. It’s like having a team with 11 Mertesacker, and you want to play counter attack football. One day Walcott joins your team. Yes, Walcott always makes mistakes, he is a **** footballer and he always loses possession. But he serves the tactical purpose of counter attack with his pace, and you would be happy to have him in your team.

What is in a manager’s mind?
Opponent set a high defensive line, I need Auba’s pace to exploit the space behind during counter attack. If Auba makes a run to exploit the space, who can make that 40 yards long pass to initiate the attack? Xhaka. Who else can? No one. If you don’t play Xhaka, your tactics is dead. As simple as this. Unless “if” guendouzi is capable of doing the same type of pass, and guendouzi make less mistakes than Xhaka, then I would always prefer to play guendouzi.

No one says Xhaka is the best, but with the midfielders we are having now, he should be the first midfielder named on the starting lineup. If you think tactically, it’s hard not to see that this is the most logical choice. And it’s not just me, every managers he previously played with was thinking the same way, that’s why they picked him to play.

I don’t understand why most of you are so simple minded and just won’t think tactically. Unless if we get someone like Tonali or Cuisance to replace him, he will be played in almost every game. It’s fine to say he is not good enough or needed to be replaced. But at the moment, you can’t deny that he is a very important player to the team.

RunTheTrap

I don't hate DLP. I'm assuming you mean deep lying playmakers. They are my favourite types of midfielders along with powerful box to box midfielders. My favourite Arsenal midfielders are Wilshere who very much was a DLP and Vieira who was the latter.
I love Modric, Kroos, Verrati and Alonso. All of those names are proper deep lying playmakers, they create chances from deep, set the tempo and are usually the most technically gifted players on their squad. All things Xhaka does not possess. Just because he has a long pass on him does not make him a deep lying playmaker. He's closer to Jonjo Shelvey than the names above.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I don't hate DLP. I'm assuming you mean deep lying playmakers. They are my favourite types of midfielders along with powerful box to box midfielders. My favourite Arsenal midfielders are Wilshere who very much was a DLP and Vieira who was the latter.
I love Modric, Kroos, Verrati and Alonso. All of those names are proper deep lying playmakers, they create chances from deep, set the tempo and are usually the most technically gifted players on their squad. All things Xhaka does not possess. Just because he has a long pass on him does not make him a deep lying playmaker. He's closer to Jonjo Shelvey than the names above.
Voldemort is a DLP too. He is just not as good as the one you mentioned. Same position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Of the nine red cards this season we probably deserved half of them

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom