• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Next Captain?

Which best describes your opinion of Xhaka?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Xhaka improved in the earlier part of the season but still has a mistake in him. By contrast, people like Iwobi and Heccyy have come leaps and bounds over that period

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I agree with what you're saying to a degree mate, but in my opinion to play centre midfield for Arsenal (or any other top team for that matter) - you need to be good at (pretty much) everything, being terrible at anything just isn't an option.

We aren't in a position where we can afford to be carrying players, everyone needs to be able to stand on their own two feet and fend for themselves.

I do agree with you that for us to move up in the league we need to have more well rounded midfielders. But every team has limited players you just have to cover their weaknesses and accentuate their strengths, look at Liverpool's midfield none of those players are world class or good at everything but they do the job they need to do.

That's why him and Ramsey never worked but him and Torreira look good together,

Reactions: Jae

tcahill

Torreira deserves better. We deserve better. Lucas doesn't need help to look good, why does Xhaka?

Actually, Torreira looks significantly worse playing with Guendouzi.
Xhaka & Torreira has been the strongest midfield partnership we've had since Cazorla & Coq.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
People in this thread are being too harsh to Xhaka. I think he's one of the best playmakers in the league he's just terrible defensively.

He's a yin-yang player, one of the best in the attacking side of CM but woeful in the defensive side.
He's woeful at everything apart from stroking the ball nicely into the path of our left back.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Actually, Torreira looks significantly worse playing with Guendouzi.
Xhaka & Torreira has been the strongest midfield partnership we've had since Cazorla & Coq.
There's the midfield not functioning as well and there's an individual player not playing well on the ball. The former doesn't mean the latter. You can see when a partnership might lack some understanding, but that's not the same as an individual not playing well. I see Torreira doing the same good things no matter who he's partnered with.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Yeah! Great response there!

I don't have time for any more mediocrity at this club mate.

Well you didn't really give me a meaningful and insightful reply in the first place did you?

But to say all he does is stroke the ball to the left back is being blind to what he does well which is dictate play from deep. We struggle to create without him in the team, he's a terrible defensive midfielder though.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
People in this thread are being too harsh to Xhaka. I think he's one of the best playmakers in the league he's just terrible defensively.

He's a yin-yang player, one of the best in the attacking side of CM but woeful in the defensive side.

Excuse me? One of the best................

What is that phrase supposed to mean?

He's not even in the top 50 of premier league players when it comes to assists this season. He only has one. Three goals scored in the league. Fourth highest number of passes but I'll note he's up there with creative stalwarts like VVD, Rudiger, Jorginho, Luiz and Azpilicueta.

Chances created? Iwobi and Kolasinac have created more than him along with 26+ other players in the league.

What is it that you see in Xhaka that you're calling him one of the best attacking CMs in the league?

I mean seriously, you can praise Xhaka a lot of different ways but calling him a great playmaker?

Preacher

Always Crying
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

I don't like these type of players, but we don't have any alternatives, so let's hope, that he'll have more good games than bad ones. We're in frustrating predicament.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
I do agree with you that for us to move up in the league we need to have more well rounded midfielders. But every team has limited players you just have to cover their weaknesses and accentuate their strengths, look at Liverpool's midfield none of those players are world class or good at everything but they do the job they need to do.

That's why him and Ramsey never worked but him and Torreira look good together,

But then you lose the edge aswell

And I dont agree with him being bad defensivly

Good positioning
Brings size and strength and an avid if (mayhaps not great at it) tackler
Enough for me because his offensive game is great, especially since we got two great finishers one speedy and one good link up/semi target man who himself is no slouch either. Can we set up The team to see more of his long game I wonder...
Gungho ramsey And Xhaka just infront of Torreira ? Would have been interesting to see

You lose that offensiveif you bring in a better dm Kinda player

A Cazorla type in cm you automatically lose that size and presence
Or is forced to play a purer dm rather than Torreira

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes

Xhaka is good. Xhaka is bad.

Neither fouls nor yellows are bad stuff by default

And mistakes that leads to a goal is just arbitrary

He is not alone on the pitch
Just because a player is last on the ball doesnt mean it is his fault

Should s goalie be at fault for every goal scored on him? He failed to save The ball so a mistake?

Every chance a striker misses is a mistake to right?

You can fail to do something without it being a mistake
In most cases doing nothing would be an even worse "mistake" and yet we got a few guys who do nothing (read monreal and mkith) who get nowhere near the same vitriol Xhaka gets he!
Guendouzi does tons of mistakes andhegets praised like noone else
He is so thourougly in a state of mistake he is not even in position to make xhakas mistakes!

Most of his "mistakes" would not amass to anything in a properly organized and cohesive team

blaze_of_glory

Almost like he needs a consistent partner who can complement his strengths and help cover his weaknesses. Maybe a little fella from Uruguay...

Just play those two together and stop pretending Guendo is Cesc 2.0.

Reactions: A_G

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Almost like he needs a consistent partner who can complement his strengths and help cover his weaknesses. Maybe a little fella from Uruguay...

Just play those two together and stop pretending Guendo is Cesc 2.0.
Maybe you stop pretending that Xhaka is some kind of quality player and that Torreira will just fix everything that is wrong with him. The sooner the club fix it's mistake of buying Xhaka the better, and Douzi is a decent start in that direction.

blaze_of_glory

Maybe you stop pretending that Xhaka is some kind of quality player and that Torreira will just fix everything that is wrong with him. The sooner the club fix it's mistake of buying Xhaka the better, and Douzi is a decent start in that direction.
The Doozer will be fine in a few years. But Xhaka-Torreira is certainly our best CM pairing at the moment imo. Guendouzi already looks overplayed and is being asked to do too much too soon.

I don't pretend Xhaka is amazing. He has clear qualities though, and was one of our top performers alongside Torreria up until Emery decided to start tinkering around.

Btw, Emery clearly loves Xhaka. He goes out of his way to ensure he plays no matter what, even if it means playing CB or LB.

hope1

Why isn't he on the Market??

He makes the most mistakes. Needs heavy cover up. Gives away possession the most.

He simply needs to go.

Why can't emery see that now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I will sign every contract Arsenal put in front of me without reading it.

Tony Adams

Latest posts

Top Bottom