• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Next Captain?

Which best describes your opinion of Xhaka?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
What makes you think Kante wanted us over Chelsea? Glad we didn't get him. We have Torreira now. Much better player and one for the future.

Are you serious mate? Kante would have been a massive help to us before Torreira even arrived.

FWIW, I was talking about getting Kante in before Leicester bought him. Wenger even said he was watching Kante while he was still in France.

Are you really glad we didn't get Kante? What about the 2015/16 when we were playing a past it Arteta and Flamini and lost the league title to a team that Kante himself played for and anchored their midfield?

Or the two seasons after that when Xhaka was stinking up the place and we dropped out of the top 4?

This is like saying you're glad we didn't get Suarez a few years ago because we have Aubameyang now. When if we had bought Suarez we might have won the league.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
I fear xhaka-torreira is going to become our new coq-cazorla. An overall flawed midfield that gets overpraised because it works better than the alternatives.
Coquelin-Cazorla was flawed for the same reason Xhaka-Torreira is flawed. They're both carrying one flawed player in Coquelin and Xhaka respectively.
You can't have one player in a two man defensive midfield doing all the defending. Xhaka's passing range and build up play don't make up for it either because the Swiss is overrated in both of those departments. The way some of you talk about him you would swear we had a prime Xabi Alonso or Pirlo in midfield dictating our play.
We also have an awful defensive record and that isn't on just the defence. You could drive a truck through our midfield at times the space we give the opposition.
Do I hate Xhaka? No, but he's the 6/10 bringing down the average performance level of our midfield and I hope we don't let a better player slip through our fingers as we did with Kante because we had Coquelin, "who is just as good".

Cazorla was The weak player man

Coq DID his job great

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Cazorla was The weak player man

Coq DID his job great
Nah bro. Whenever Coquelin was partnered with anyone else, the midfield struggled to get attacks going and had very little presence outside of tackling. Cazorla was the only one regularly breaking press, progressing play and making key passes. Opposition figured this out and basically cut off anyone who did anything with the ball while allowing Coquelin to have possession, which he often did nothing with.

Coquelin was good for us, but ultimately he was the flaw in that partnership and became obsolete the moment he had to do anything beyond forcing turnovers.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
That's a lovely FIFA/Man City type expectation but in reality both players would want game time and we'd end up losing one or the other sooner or later. We have far more pressing issues in the squad currently like lack of a winger and lack of elite CBs

This is what I've been saying about Laca/Auba. Eventually it'll become untenable with 2 50 mill+ strikers challenging for 1 spot. Don't tell me about Aubameyeng on the left cos we know that's not his preferred position.

MikeVinna

Established Member
Wouldnt mind Rabiot. Would replace Xhaka most likely or we’d play a flat 3 in midfield. However, Rabiot has far better options now that he’s a free transfer.

Xhaka is a great player but he’s just not that mobile and he’s not a dribbler at all which means he’ll always be vulnerable to good pressing.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Bring in Rabiot & Isco for Xhaka & Ramsey
Isco would be great. Rabiot is overrated.
I don’t think a mobile midfielder is the answer.
If you need to replace Xhaka, get Weigl, Tonali, or even Parejo, Locatelle.
We don’t need someone running like an idiot on the pitch.

Last edited by a moderator:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Lot of talk about how bad Torreira was but I thought Xhaka was pretty bad today aswell. He's had a good season but I thought he lost too many 2nd balls in the middle and didn't provide enough of a presence in the middle. Both he and Torreira looked outmatched by Liverpool's midfield. Fabinho and Wijnaldum in particular put in a lot of hard yards and, along with Mane and Shaqiri, ran us ragged. Shaqiri wasn't praised as much as others, but he was picking up some really annoyingly dangerous positions between Xhaka and the full back all game and not being picked up.

A lot to think about regarding our midfield. Up till now, Xhaka-Torreira has been a most heralded union.

HBL

Established Member
Lot of talk about how bad Torreira was but I thought Xhaka was pretty bad today aswell. He's had a good season but I thought he lost too many 2nd balls in the middle and didn't provide enough of a presence in the middle. Both he and Torreira looked outmatched by Liverpool's midfield. Fabinho and Wijnaldum in particular put in a lot of hard yards and, along with Mane and Shaqiri, ran us ragged. Shaqiri wasn't praised as much as others, but he was picking up some really annoyingly dangerous positions between Xhaka and the full back all game and not being picked up.

A lot to think about regarding our midfield. Up till now, Xhaka-Torreira has been a most heralded union.
I actually thought Fabinho was poor and it seems quite a few Pool fans agree. Our issues came from them constantly having four attackers swamping around our midfield, our three in front of our midfield weren't consistent enough when tracking back. We also didn't really have an out ball, only option was Iwobi who did well. Ramsey was a passenger and dwelled on the ball and it doesn't seem to stick with Auba up front, the ball just kept coming back at our midfield.

Erlis

Only Came To See Granit Xhaka

He was the best player in the first half, I couldn't focus a lot in the second half so I cannot say much, I saw only goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsène Wenger's idea is not only to play good football. It's to play good football to win. In my day, we knew that with our style we could hurt teams and win trophies too. But we did it our way, with the positional game, passing, movement.

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom