• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Xhak Off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Even if we believe that the rest of the team has to be blamed for not cleaning up the mess caused by Xhaka, it probably applies only for errors leading to goal. He has conceded most penalties as a player ever since he has joined. Got many red cards too. How can his team mates possibly cover up for penalties and red cards?

Most players make positive contributions like this. Clearances are part and parcel of the game. It is not something phenomenal that this somehow makes up for all the mistakes he makes.
He's not conceded an inordinate number of penalties for a defensive player. Red cards I'll give you, but I feel thats covered by the defensive contributions he does.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
He's not conceded an inordinate number of penalties for a defensive player. Red cards I'll give you, but I feel thats covered by the defensive contributions he does.
6 penalties conceded, 4 red cards and 9 errors leading to goals. You saw one header in a match and all of a sudden his defensive contributions are great? 😃

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I don't think Xhaka has been fundamental to our decline on the pitch. Though he has been an issue.

He's more a totem or symbolic of that era.

Not really top 4 starter quality, has fairly frequent insane moments / rushes of blood to the head. Has a pretty cocky attitude to boot. It's not really a surprise fans zero in on him for criticism. At times the criticism has been excessive and over the line but he's brought a fair bit of it on himself too.

Most Arsenal fans won't remember him fondly after he's left I feel.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
6 penalties conceded, 4 red cards and 9 errors leading to goals. You saw one header in a match and all of a sudden his defensive contributions are great? 😃
Thats the only thing I remember, which goes with what I was saying earlier. Red cards, penalties are easily documentable, defensive contributions not so much

Make

Player:Ødegaard
I justified Xhaka a lot in the past, but it's time to say goodbye... He needs to move to Roma with Mourinho because he's not gonna play comfortable with Arsenal anymore. You either love it or hate it but we play better when he plays but it's not enough with the team we're building now.

We have to sell him alongside Elneny and signing 2 new midfielders with other skills and experienced players to help the team. In the last game, I saw there was nobody in the midfield to play with the ball (Xhaka was open on the left side and Thomas did the same on the right side). We need a leader in the midfield because playing from the back is too important to get the ball from the defenders to forwards and that role is quite importat in terms of football.

If you look how City play, they control the game by midfielders and move the ball as fast as they can. Arteta wants to play in the same way and we need 2 good midfielders being leaders on and off the pitch.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I also feel he is weirdly pretty good defensively.

Most of his issues come from moments of absolute madness, it's not like he is always out of position or anything and I have seen plenty of games where he has won his midfield battle.

Honestly feel him and Partey are one of the best pairs in the league, they don't even play in a back 5 and we play with an out and out 10 so it's not like they are protected...they have to get through a lot of work.

Look at the Wolves game...Wolves absolutely bossed United and Sp**s away, but didn't do anything when it was 11 v 11 against us, at their ground too...that was mainly down to Partey and Xhaka, imo.

Don't get me wrong, we should be looking to move on from Granit, too much has gone on here with him...but he can play a part in getting us back in the Top Four.

Pop Tart

Established Member
If we do get top 4 it would be very ironic given people on here solely blaming xhaka for us not being a top 4 team since his signature.

He is a decent player but is no spring chicken so you cannot iron out those very negative points about him which has a affect on games massively.

He seems to not give a **** about us given how willing he gets sent off, his disingenuous and smug apologies etc.

He can **** off end of the season.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

The club should be the one to stop giving Xhaka the armband, not Granit himself :lol:

Glad he did it though, he shouldn't be captain anymore, so hopefully this is the end of it...played well.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

The club should be the one to stop giving Xhaka the armband, not Granit himself :lol:

Glad he did it though, he shouldn't be captain anymore, so hopefully this is the end of it...played well.

Yeah don't think he did anything wrong there at all. He knows he shouldn't captain us again, a bit sad for him that we've put him in that position again. Made him look bad.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Wondering if its frustration with how the club handled the whole captain situation over the years, with him at times wearing it, and then not, and then again.

Probably just tired of the whole situation, especially in light of the recent captaincy talks. So, he basically just said ***** it, if you don't want to take a stance, I will*

Not like he didn't do captainy things before and after that part or didn't show effort.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Handbags over the armbag aside, his position in the last few games is really interesting. He's defo pushing up a lot higher, making it a 433 on possession, then drops back next to Partey when we don't have it. It does give us more options when we have the ball.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I thought he had a good game.

Got to make a big deal about the armband though :lol: It's like he needed everyone to know he wasn't going to be captain.

Sometimes he just doesn't help himself, as he deserves a lot of credit for his performance today.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
I have this feeling that he never wanted to stay this year. Wasn't the one year extension due to the fact that there was a clause in his contract that said the club has rights to extend it? Given how open he was about joining Roma, it looked like Mikel/Edu forced him to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

My first ever football memory was Charlie George's double winning goal in 71. After that game; I just became an Arsenal fan.

Paul Davis
Top Bottom