• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Green in a spot of bother - Robert Apoligises

Evil Dragon

CHRIS WISE

May 19, 2004 08:47
Robert Green has waited a long time to save a spot-kick – but he wasn't celebrating after keeping one out at Highbury on Monday.

Playing for an England XI, the Norwich City star made what looked like a brilliant double stop to deny Martin Keown a goal in his testimonial match.

It was a landmark moment for Green, whose flourishing career with the Canaries has yet to include a penalty save – but he revealed yesterday that it was all a big misunderstanding, and that
he had intended to let the Arsenal veteran hit the back of the net.

"Everyone wanted Martin to score and rightly so because it was his big night," said Green, whose side were on the wrong end of a 6-0 hammering.

"When he stepped up I pointed to where he should put it, but we got our wires crossed and I dived the right way. The ball came out and I tried to let him tap home the rebound, but I couldn't get out of the way. It was all a bit embarrassing. I wanted to let the penalty in, but ended up making a double
save."

That unusual moment failed to take the gloss off a great evening for Keown, who is being released by the Gunners after more than 400 appearances. A sell-out crowd was treated to a feast of relaxed, attacking football, with goals from Jose Antonio Reyes (3), Jeremie Aliadiere (2) and Ashley Cole providing the result everyone wanted – and Green was thrilled just to be part of it.

"When I got the invitation to play it took me all of five seconds to accept," he said. "I've been to Highbury to watch a game, but I've never played there before and I really enjoyed myself.

"Arsenal were playing at half speed, as you would expect in a testimonial match, but they still looked something special – and the atmosphere was amazing. I had to pick the ball out of the net a few times, but I wasn't complaining. It was just great to pull on an England jersey and share the same pitch with so many great players.

"It certainly whetted my appetite for the visit to Highbury next season – I've got a feeling Arsenal will be performing at a slightly higher tempo when they play us."

Green's 80-minute run-out in a team that included the likes of David Beckham – for three minutes – Paul Gascoigne and Joe Cole, was his final action before undergoing a minor ankle operation at the weekend.

The City keeper was troubled by a niggling injury during the second half of the triumphant promotion campaign, and it was decided that surgery was needed to clear up the problem once and for all.

That meant missing out on an outside chance of playing in the European Championships in Portugal, but Green insists it wasn't a difficult decision to go under the knife.

"That was always a long shot – I don't think I was ever likely to go," he said. "So it seemed sensible to have the operation as quickly as possible. I've been troubled with the ankle since November and at times it has been very painful. It's my kicking foot so it needed to be sorted out.

"Apparently a small piece of bone behind the heel is causing the problem. It's floating around and needs to be removed – and if it's done now I'll be fit and raring to go for pre-season.

"It's going to restrict me for a week or two – but at least it will force me to put my feet up, and that's probably no bad thing. I think I could do with a rest now."

Source
EDP

Evil Dragon

Do Reyes goals count as Arsenal goals, silly question I just want to know wether they will count.

Cause if they do then he has scored 8 (-1) minus 1 for that own goal :lol:

KingReyes

Established Member
Evil Dragon said:
Do Reyes goals count as Arsenal goals, silly question I just want to know wether they will count.

Cause if they do then he has scored 8 (-1) minus 1 for that own goal :lol:

No, they don't count as official goals.

DOls

It's nice to know how Robert Green felt about Martin Keown's penalty kick.
He really doesn't need to apologize, cause it was all just good-natured fun
game and the only hero was Martin himself no matter what he did.

Looks like Green will have opportunity next season to come back to Highbury
with Norwich and this time experience the full speed and power of Arsenal's football.

Good luck with an ankle operation and quick and successful recovery to Robert Green - great sport.

memyself

You have to laugh don't you. Even when Keown was told by the keeper where to hit it he still couldn't score, bless him. He'll be missed.

jeromelee

Thought however that green shouldn't have come out to say it cause then it only makes Martin sound stupid.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal was firmly embedded in the local community and had a very solid, working-class foundations. The fans espoused the club's values. This visceral attachment, from childhood, to a club and a team is something I have never seen anywhere else with such fervour. Every fan's first match at Highbury was like a baptism.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom