• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Hector Bellerin: The B's Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Honestly, I think Hector has already improved this season. He's contributing a lot to our attack, and Emery is still working on our shape defensively. However, a lot of our defensive improvements will be due to our midfield.

Torreira will probably cover for our defense really well, and once Ramsey, Özil and Xhaka understand their roles better we'll be really good defensively.

Hector could have a big year for us.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Instead of repeating your post twice maybe you should have deleted the original one? Just joking... Just joking! :lol:

Beckham, Messi, Balotelli have all been subject of internet abuse during their careers. Ronaldo who is more successful than all of them together constantly is a victim of internet abuse being called gay, lesbian or something else.

And it isn't about avoiding criticism either, all top players can take well structured criticism which thankfully they get from their managers. We are talking about something a whole different when it comes to internet. Even here on AM which is one of the best place around talking about football you have people sometime here only interested in him cutting his hair or dress better like themselves instead of talking his game.

And what is interesting about the tweet from Fabregas? If Fabregas is implying him self that he only thinks about football that would be a lie, Fabregas is a huge family man and everyone knows it is right up there with his football.
My Op was moved so I deleted the part on Bellerin and added it here :)

How many of those players got abused by their own? Balotelli eventually got some because his on field performances could no longer justify ignoring his off field distractions. Beckham got it from England fans but they are a different beast. When he went to Ac there was a bit of it but his on the field display won the fans over.

Fans are arseholes. I've commented many times on it. They'll call players all sorts but dare say something back and that's that. The player is the worst for reacting after 90 minutes of provocation. Reading what I've read on Bellerin to me it's no worse than Rooney being called a fat Shrek **** etc. It's all equally bad. The problem is United fans weren't calling Rooney a fat Shrek **** at his peak because he was at times unplayable and highly successful.

Bellerin didn't get into the Spanish WC team in, is he in the squad for this new ****e tournament? There are serious questions if he is good enough to be first choice at Arsenal and on the back of that Bellerin is getting it from Arsenal fans. He needs this off field distractions like he needs a hole in his head. Knuckle down, improve, become indispensable and get nailed on in the Spanish team.

The Fabregas tweet I found interesting because they followed the same path. Only one was considered one of the best in the world and the other is on the chopping board at the same age. Bellerin has all the time in the world but for now he should focus on improving his football. Do that. Then the other stuff. And then the abuse will die down because his football will do all the talking.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
My Op was moved so I deleted the part on Bellerin and added it here :)

How many of those players got abused by their own? Balotelli eventually got some because his on field performances could no longer justify ignoring his off field distractions. Beckham got it from England fans but they are a different beast. When he went to Ac there was a bit of it but his on the field display won the fans over.

Fans are arseholes. I've commented many times on it. They'll call players all sorts but dare say something back and that's that. The player is the worst for reacting after 90 minutes of provocation. Reading what I've read on Bellerin to me it's no worse than Rooney being called a fat Shrek **** etc. It's all equally bad. The problem is United fans weren't calling Rooney a fat Shrek **** at his peak because he was at times unplayable and highly successful.

Bellerin didn't get into the Spanish WC team in, is he in the squad for this new ****e tournament? There are serious questions if he is good enough to be first choice at Arsenal and on the back of that Bellerin is getting it from Arsenal fans. He needs this off field distractions like he needs a hole in his head. Knuckle down, improve, become indispensable and get nailed on in the Spanish team.

The Fabregas tweet I found interesting because they followed the same path. Only one was considered one of the best in the world and the other is on the chopping board at the same age. Bellerin has all the time in the world but for now he should focus on improving his football. Do that. Then the other stuff. And then the abuse will die down because his football will do all the talking.
100%, also if you aren't smart enough to work this out as a football player, that sowing silk fecking pants and talking about how great plants are when your VERY WELL PAID FOR job is going to sh!t. Well then expect the abuse.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Honestly, I think Hector has already improved this season. He's contributing a lot to our attack, and Emery is still working on our shape defensively. However, a lot of our defensive improvements will be due to our midfield.

Torreira will probably cover for our defense really well, and once Ramsey, Özil and Xhaka understand their roles better we'll be really good defensively.

Hector could have a big year for us.
Agreed. His supposedly 'bad' performances are wildly overstated, he was only particularly bad facing Chelsea and most of that had to do with the fact that Mhkitaryan had a rubbish game defensively (even with his goal and assist).

And on the topic of the abuse and mental health, it seems like he has dealt with it in quite a measured way going by his comments. Him shedding light on it does not mean he is having a crywank in his room listening to James Blake because someone called him a lesbian. The fact that he still dresses the way he does and maintains his out-of-football interests indicates to me that he is perfectly capable of dealing with it. However, a lot of other people would not be so lucky or have enough strength to cope.

This whole Bellerin "manning up" thing to me is problematic because it is such a narrow prism of expression and one runs the risk of repressing oneself simply to please the baying mob. We talk about toughening up but not everybody can be tough all the time, and occasionally you will end up being raw, and we as people (especially men) have to be more cognizant of this and take responsibility for the things we say and do a lot more instead of requesting that others "be a man" and take it. That doesn't mean we have to avoid criticizing people, far from it, but we cannot make excuses for the abuse that certain people have to put up with, nor must we succumb to the same type of behavior ourselves.

I agree that performances could be better considering the potential he has but he is often singled out even when he has had a decent game and most of the time I cannot understand why! Which leads me to believe that it is not about his performances at all.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
agree that performances could be better considering the potential he has but he is often singled out even when he has had a decent game and most of the time I cannot understand why! Which leads me to believe that it is not about his performances at all.

He did start to contribute offensively again, but in every single game his positioning and awareness of general play concerning the defensive side if his game has been horrific. Even with his supposed offensive talents he should definitely be more if a constant threat to defenses, but he likes to play it safe. Got two assissts in neatly played out situations but hes too less involved creating. Don't really see that much talent in him anymore.

uriazu

He did start to contribute offensively again, but in every single game his positioning and awareness of general play concerning the defensive side if his game has been horrific. Even with his supposed offensive talents he should definitely be more if a constant threat to defenses, but he likes to play it safe. Got two assissts in neatly played out situations but hes too less involved creating. Don't really see that much talent in him anymore.
He is not the smartest player. He has pace and technique but he reads the game defensively very poorly and he also does not defend using his strength but only his speed.
He has potential but has been very stucked for a while. He need to make a jump soon enough.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
He has pace and technique
What technique? He almost always needs two touches to control the ball when he receives it and I very rarely see him dribble past players other than using his pace, which isn't even that good anymore.
Anyone who thinks he's improving needs to wake up. Just because he's going forward more doesn't mean he's suddenly getting better, because he's leaving the flank exposed and every opponent has been tearing Hector a new one on that right side.
How such an average player is starting over The Swiss Express is a complete mystery to me.

Last edited:

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
Not that effective offensively today. He crosses it as soon as he receives even when he has a man closing him down too close. At times, want him to make a quick turn back and cross to the midfield runners in to the box(as most forward players would have gone offside by the time he takes the turn). Actually like how Özil did this today (though he always prefers his left foot) and found Torreira running in with a lot of space but who unfortunately skied it. When he has space, without anyone directly closing him down, he can go for the quick low cross across the goal.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
I must have been watching a different game. I thought he was quite good defensively.
Watch the game again, he did not only defend poorly, he also contributed nothing in attack for an "offensive" player.

And he wasn't even facing some godly winger either, Monreal had a tougher job with Matt Richie and yet did better.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Watch the game again, he did not only defend poorly, he also contributed nothing in attack for an "offensive" player.

And he wasn't even facing some godly winger either, Monreal had a tougher job with Matt Richie and yet did better.

Where did he defend poorly? I can't recall too many issues coming from his flank, I might have to watch the first half again.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Where did he defend poorly? I can't recall too many issues coming from his flank, I might have to watch the first half again.
Mostly from crosses, where he was beat over and over again.

Anyway I'm not surprised by his defensive effort, he's a very poor defender after all. I'm just disappointed that he doesn't compensate on the other end, the way other attacking fullbacks do.

I liked our defense a lot better today than for previous games. I think all the defenders did solid job of 5-6 until the 90 minute but thankfully it was to late for Newcastle to tie the draw.

Bellerin was solid imo!

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Mostly from crosses, where he was beat over and over again.

Anyway I'm not surprised by his defensive effort, he's a very poor defender after all. I'm just disappointed that he doesn't compensate on the other end, the way other attacking fullbacks do.

Have you been watching Hector this season? It seems to me you're too busy slagging him off at his defensive errors.

He's got one recorded assist this season but he should have had two alone against Chelsea and was very good offensively in the second half against West Ham.

His xG build up/Chain is almost always highly rated.

Have you been watching Hector this season? It seems to me you're too busy slagging him off at his defensive errors.

My post got zero attention why I think he has been bad at defending this season. Main reason I stated, lack of cover in front of him the wide players not helping out and Torreira not starting as the right sided midfielder who would provide attacking minded Hector a solid cover.

And our defense still lacking a lot lot lot lot work before it can be solid!

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
You expecting him to set the world alight every game or something? He did fine, there is little if anything to complain about.
No, I except a reasonably balanced performance instead of an assist per 10 games defining his overall performances.

He's weak, he lacks intelligence, lacks technical ability, can't defend, offers little in attack, can only make low crosses. I was watching Yedlin play and they seemed very similar players, only Yedlin has better ball control and crossing.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi

He's got one recorded assist this season but he should have had two alone against Chelsea and was very good offensively in the second half against West Ham.

His xG build up/Chain is almost always highly rated.
Marcos Alonso: 1 goal and 2 assists
Andrew Robertson: 0 goals and 2 assists
Benjamin Mendy: 0 goals and 4 assists
Kieran Trippier: 1 goal and 1 assist

And they are all better defensively than Bellerin.

There's no way his one assist compensates the rest of his (poor) game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When I am asked why I stayed at Arsenal so long.. my answer is simple; I never wanted to be anywhere else. I could have earned a lot more elsewhere, but that wouldn't compensate for all the good years at Highbury.

David O'Leary

Daily Transfer Updates

Wednesday, May 29

Bruno Guimaraes’ representatives have been told by Newcastle that he won’t be sold unless his release clause is triggered [TBR Football]

Arsenal are one of a number of clubs interested in Leeds’ 18 year old midfielder Archie Gray [Fabrizio Romano]

Kia Joorabchian has claimed striker Joshua Zirkzee is pushing towards a move to Arsenal [Corriere dello Sport]

Arsenal have moved on from midfielder Martin Zubimendi and are targeting other players in the position instead [HITC]

RB Leipzig striker Benjamin Šeško is the club’s number one target this summer [John Cross - The Mirror]

Any move for Bruno Guimaraes or Douglas Luiz depends on the departure of Thomas Partey [Sami Mokbel - The Mail]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom